Author Topic: Opportunity  (Read 28346 times)

Offline Sprockett

Opportunity
« on: May 28, 2008, 10:11:11 PM »
Hi everyone,

I run a cultural project that works with young people in the North East of England.  As part of this year's Big Dance programme, we've been asked to contribute to an event at Newbiggin by the Sea on July 5th 2008.  This is a 2 hour event that will feature commissioned site-specific dance performances.  The audience will be led between the performance sites and that is where my project comes in.

We will be delivering a special programme called A2B, which will be a performance in itself.  Between each site, accompanied by live music, we will be demonstrating that there is more than one way to move, using choreography, skateboarders, parkour and hopefully - power-jumping!  We are looking for 3-5 jumpers who can come and 'perform' on the day as part of the event.  This can be as planned or as spontaneous as you like, we simply want your community and your activity to be represented.  You may apply to perform as an individual or as a group.  It would however be nice to offer the opportunity to individuals, especially if it meant them getting the chance to meet other people from around the UK.

You will be required to travel to the area on the 4th July and will spend the day on site, working with performers and establishing your needs, including area/crowd control etc.  You will be accommodated in a bed and breakfast that evening and will then be brought back to the site on the 5th July for the event.  Where possible we'd like you to make the most of your stay here and if you wished, we'd arrange for a second night of accommodation, allowing you another day in the area and then would arrange for your journey home on the evening of Sunday 6th July.  The fee for taking part is a token gesture of £50 but all of your expenses will be paid for.  You will need to provide all your own equipment but we are happy to insure you as part of the event.

We're a collective of artists, musicians and film-makers and our events are always unique and definitely fun.  We are looking for people who would enjoy working with us on an event and who can work and play hard.  The event will be filmed and and photographed and we are happy to provide you with copies of the outcomes after the event.

If you are interested in this opportunity, please e-mail me at sprockettandboo@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks for your time.

Cait

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
Re: Opportunity
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 08:44:29 PM »
READ THIS!!! lol. :)

I responded to this post and Kate said she needs about 4 more bockers to be involved. It's quite along way for most of you to travel, but the good news is they'll pay your fare for you. :)

So does anyone else want to do it. I'd especially love it if some EA-Bockers got involved because I might be moving to Norwich next year, so it would be great to get to know you now. But I think it would be cool to meet any of you.

Who's interested? They need 4 more people. :)

-Neo- 8)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 08:53:13 PM by Brendan (NeoNinja) »
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline carlgreen

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for backFLEEP!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 08:55:40 PM »
i'd drive up and take part  :thumbs:

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 08:58:20 PM »
Sorted, i've applied, Carl your're giving me a lift then?  ;D  ;)

Offline carlgreen

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for backFLEEP!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 09:02:37 PM »
yh sure m8 i just emailed too   :laugh:

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 09:13:16 PM »
I would do it but lol I am not very good and its quite far

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 09:15:01 PM »
well i would do it and then i would have 2 spair seats in the bocking buss

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 09:16:02 PM »
Sweet! ;D And you're both from Norfolk... or close enough! ;) lol.
Just 2 more to go! Who's up for it? :)

-Neo- 8)

EDIT: I take it back... 1 more to go. Toddy posted while I was typing. :)
And if anyone else is really desperate to go. Kate said they may be able to include more than 5, depending on where they are travelling from (due to budgeting). :)

-Neo-
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 09:19:38 PM by Brendan (NeoNinja) »
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 09:16:21 PM »
give a shout out to 'do it on bocks'  he is up in cleethorps  and as carl will atest --is quite a show off

ta but wasnt wondering ;D

Id never get time off work I fear

Dark Knight

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 09:20:11 PM »
Wish I wasn't so rubbish I'd been there :(

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
Add me on MSN if you like guys. If you've done anything like this before I'd love to hear about it. :) The performance is going to be to music. But whether we want to plan it or just make it up as we go along is up to us. I say performance, it's more like leading the way from one performance to the next, and keeping the crowd entertained along the way. :)

At least that's what I gathered from her e-mails. I may have a few details mixed up. :) lol.

Offline carlgreen

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for backFLEEP!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 09:35:17 PM »
well im not an amazing dancer but i can entertain people and i would add u on MSN but i dont no what it is

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 09:39:25 PM »
tok is interested as well in comming so we may do a road trip up there if not i will pick up the ea bockers on the way, cheeper on fuel etc

i have added u to my msn

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 09:46:16 PM »
Ditto, just added you brendan, plus me n carl were planning on getting the train, or he could drive, we can deffo get there either way. O and Music sounds good, i've done some stuff performing on bocks, so love to be able to do this as well  :)

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 09:57:35 PM »
Awesome stuff. ;D I'm quite excited. Hope we all get to be involved! :)

Offline Sprockett

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 10:23:21 PM »
Hi everyone, thanks to those that have responded, it's really great to get some enthusiasm!

Unfortunately I'd hoped that saving on travel could offer more places but as we're short on accommodation this won't be the case but I will be sure to keep you all informed of any future opportunities.  I manage a wide range of events and cultural projects so there are always opportunities arising.

For this event, four of you have e-mailed me registering your interest and Brendan is the unlucky sod who is now in charge of co-ordinating this - we need one more performer, first come, first served.  Everyone will need to provide me with some evidence (photos or footage) and a brief biography (2-3 lines even), detailing how long you've been bocking and your skills level - include details of what you can do, no matter how basic it seems.

I'll reiterate, all expenses are paid and the fee is £50.

Cait

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
Ok, sorry everyone but the places are filled.

The lucky 5 are:
Me,
Chocl8,
Carl,
Toddy,
Tok.

Should be fun. I'll give you updates as and when I know them. :)

UPDATE:

Ok, so you all know we need to get insurance. I know that there's a thread about insurance on here already that states a days coverage is £15 or something, so if you want to get that, that's great. Kate/Cait (not sure) recommended a different organisation who she's referred dancers and acrobats to before. We're not sure if we're eligible for insurance with this organisation, but if we are, the event will pay for our subscription for this year. :) Which saounds great to me!

So I sent them the following e-mail asking about it. I referred to us as a team to try and sound more official ;) lol. They don't have to know we don't train together and I've never met you! lol :) Here it is:

"I'm writing to enquire about eligibility for insurance of my particular discipline.

I was recently contacted by an events manager recruiting individuals and teams from various disciplines to take part in a council supported, live street performance. The main focus of the event is Dance, but several other street performance disciplines will be represented.

This person informed me that I (and the team) will need to seek insurance prior to taking part in the event. She referred me to your organisation as she has previously referred similar street performance artists (such as dancers and acrobats) to you who had successful applications.

Our particualr discipline is Power-Bocking. Also known as Jumping-Stilts. As the latter name suggests we wear spring-loaded stilts which allow us to run faster and jump up to 6ft high. In the forth-coming event we will mingle with the crowd and perform tricks and flips whilst leading the crowd to different dance performances.

Which brings me to the question, is such a discipline eligible for insurance with your organisation?

Thank you.

B. Riley."

I'll let you know what they say about it. But if you want to just get the day coverage, that's cool too. :)

erm... what else...

Ah, as she said above, Cait would like a few lines explaining your experience on bocks and performing to a crowd. And you could include pics and vids to demonstrate your skill-level. :) You can send them to me and I'll send them to her collectively, or you can post them to her yourselves like Chocl8 and Carl. Whatever's easiest. :)

She also needs to know our travel arrangements, where we're coming from and how we're getting there. And finally sleeping arrangements. If you want to share a double room or if you want a single. That would be best to send all at once to avoid confusion. So discuss that here first.

Finally, we decided we don't have time to make costumes but it would be good if we matched in some way. So we agreed on a black and white theme. Either wear black and white, or all black, or all white. Doesn't matter. :) But that way we should look a little more professional. But as I said to Chocl8, it's not like we won't stand out. Unless there's a basketball convention at the event we'll probably be a good few feet taller than the rest of them... and at least twice as bouncy. :)

I think that's it for now.

So I'm finally off to bed!

Peace. -Neo- :-*
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 01:38:38 AM by Brendan (NeoNinja) »

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 02:12:41 AM »
heres the thread on insurance from sportscoverdirect with the code its either around £16, £12 or £9 depending on the cover you go for... http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1787.0

however if you can get a good deal where they have recommended and the company is willing to pay for the year you should snap it up as thats really generous of them  :thumbs:

• Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 02:16:35 AM »
Thanks for the link Naz. :) We might need it if the other company doesn't like people who put springs on their feet to see how high they can fall from on concrete! ;D lol.

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 05:02:16 PM »
can i say something
i think that we all should wear helmets(just p**s pots) so that it will make us look much better as a desplay group

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 05:36:21 PM »
As long as i can wear my own helmet, sure :)

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 06:15:19 PM »
We don't need helmets, we'll have insurance! ;D Just kidding. Safety first! ;)

They look a lil' dorky so I doubt they'll make us look better as a display team. :P
But that is indeed a really good idea. It would suck to bleed on the crowd! lol. ;D

Do you know where I can get a really cheap one? :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 06:37:11 PM by Brendan (NeoNinja) »

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 08:50:25 PM »
the back of my car
only got one spair tho at the mo

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 09:53:59 PM »
lol.

How many people have bocking trowsers? It would be cool if we could all wear them. :) My girlfriend said she'll have a go at making some if she has time. :)

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 10:03:19 PM »
i dont but i do think it would be really cool
and just so that people know i will have a spair pair of bocks with me

brendan i will surply you with a lid if you can surply me a pair of bocking trowsers?

oh and i will have my long leather coat with me in black(the matrix bocker)