Author Topic: Checks after a fall  (Read 21857 times)

Offline Jinxed

Checks after a fall
« on: August 20, 2013, 12:37:34 PM »
Hi again, only me.

So some of you probs know that i had my first fall the other day. Thankfully my pads took most of the damage although my stilts didn't escape unscathed either. Anyway i was wondering what sort of safety or maintenance checks (i assume there must be some) i should do after a fall. Slightly annoyed that the foam around my knee bars has been scuffed and slightly torn, but also noticed that there are some chips/scuffs on the springs themselves. Is that normal, can they take a bit of a beating before they have to be replaced?

Anyway hoping to be back on them tomorrow, so i don't let the experience wimp me out, much in the same way you have to get back on a motorbike when you fall off.

Offline Davido

• The Ego
Re: Checks after a fall
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 01:49:46 PM »
They are surprisingly hardy, but you'd be better off wrapping them in case you do snap a pair and they aren't covered under the warranty as a result.

There's loads of tutorials on wrapping your springs on here, have a look :)

But for checks, just make sure everything is still tight and there's nothing bent. The stilts can take some pretty good knocks so chances are you'll be fine!

Offline Jinxed

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »
Thanks for that Dav. I read the tutorial about protecting the springs and it said that some people use 3-5 layers of duct tape, is that right? Because that certainly sounds the easiest method to me.

Offline Molk958

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 04:01:50 PM »
Without any doubt do protect the springs, they are hardy, but why put them through a beating if you don't have to.

I use the 'Bike Type Inner Tube' method (http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?page=Tape) which works PERFECTLY with no cost really at all (go to Halfords and ask for some busted inner tubes for free) and takes little/medium time (although once you have done the hard bit, moving the rubber to a new set of springs is very fast if you want to up your weight class in the future)

Offline Davido

• The Ego
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 07:17:45 PM »
As Molk said, the inner tube method is very effective and cheap.

Wrap one tube around each spring then wrap with 2-3 layers of duct tape. They can pretty much stand up to anything once you've done that.

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 08:23:47 AM »
or if your learning i found the pipe foam insulation stuff you get good...
and costs about £0.50 for each spring....

Offline Gremlin

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 09:59:50 PM »
Make sure all your arms and legs are still pointing in the same direction and not wobbly around :Ctongue:

Get an old bike tyre and zip tie it around the springs or just tape it, they can take a knock quite well, Christ I should know :Ctwitcy: if not im sure if you ask some one can knock a set of tyre protectors up for you

Offline Jinxed

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 06:43:42 PM »
Thanks everyone and yup, think all my limbs are facing the right way.  :Ctongue:

Anyway i finally got hold of some inner tubes and attached them to my springs and then went straight out to test them  :Claugh:

I was actually surprised that i wasn't nervous about getting back on them again since my fall, in fact i was more worried about damaging my stilts lol. I haven't tried to run again but did try some jumping on the spot. I think i might go scouting to find a nice flat/firm field to try running again, less damage to my stilts i hope.

Anyway i'm also trying to decide if i should wrap the tubes in the silver tape i used at the bottom and if i do, i'll probs have to do the bottom section too so they match. Ah such tough choices xD What do you reckon?
Oh and those foam knee bars, anyway to protect them from shredding when i next hit some concrete or is a layer of duct tape the best i can do?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 07:49:33 PM »
Looking good there Jinxed
Wrap the bottom bit with inner tube too as that gets some hard hits
Silver will look good  :Cbiggrin:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Gremlin

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 01:19:50 AM »
Could always get some pipe cover to over the bar bits, the stuff thats open at the back and then tape it on

Offline Jinxed

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 03:43:58 PM »
Nice idea Gremlin  :Csmile:

I've got some more inner tubes, so will probs wrap and tape the rest of it this weekend. Although after my trial on the grass, also going to focus on making some studdies, as even while jogging i could feel them slipping slightly.