Author Topic: New: progression so far (advice welcome)  (Read 5211 times)

Offline Jinxed

New: progression so far (advice welcome)
« on: August 17, 2013, 07:22:00 AM »
Good morning everyone,

So last week i finally took the plunge and got myself some projumps (something i have coveted from a young age) and i thought i would share my progress so far. I think i have clocked up about 2.5 hours so far and most days i can't handle more than 30 mins (if i am trying to jog/jump) but i know my fitness will improve in time, i'm not the girl i used to be lol.
Anyway i was wondering if you had any tips or advice for me. I am getting the hang of jogging (or i hope so) but am still struggling to step up to running, although i know time is important. Still any feedback would be really useful.
Also any advice for finding places to pratice because as you can see most pavements are slopped and i don't want to upset too many pedestrians (although i always stop and step aside for them)

Thanks for your time and for being just plain awesome  :Cnotworthy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaLQdVJN42M

Offline Molk958

Re: New: progression so far (advice welcome)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 11:04:53 AM »
Hey, looking good so far!

The trick between making the leap between jogging and running is to "bound along"... basically what i mean is you use the leading leg to kick you forwards and the trailing leg bounces out of the ground to give you height. Put the two together and you basically run like the guys on prosthetics in the Paralympics (this is the way i find gives most speed and uses least effort but everyone does it a slightly different way).

Where are you based? The best way to really learn is to meet up with a group and get them to help you out and challenge you!

Offline Jinxed

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 11:43:06 AM »
Thanks for the advice, will give it a go if the rain ever stops.
Also i'm from the bournemouth area ^^

Offline clive

• Elite Member
  • jump as high as you can ,,worry about the landing
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 12:06:56 PM »
Hi welcome to the crazzzzy forum of mad bockers lol...well the banned bockers might have to pay you a visit very soon and get you jumping ..video is good but your better off being with other bockers to show you in person..

Offline Davido

• The Ego
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 06:24:46 PM »
Looking good so far! Think Clive has hit the nail on the heads there. Bournemouth meet anyone?  :Cbiggrin:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 07:03:23 PM »
Very good progress

Keep at it

And welcome to the Mad House

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Jinxed

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 08:21:16 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys and the second this rain stops i'll be out there again.
Also if anyone does hit up the bournemouth area, give me a shout because i'll deffo be interested  :Cyes:

Offline Gremlin

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 07:51:53 PM »
Looking good so far everyone progresses at their own pace, if your after a fitness come to a banned London or even Basingstoke meet some time, they have been known to go on for 5 hours non stop with the right atmosphere  :Cwideeyed:

The more you can get on them and the more you can get to as much meets as you can for help and advice on techniques the more you will pick up but most of all just enjoy it and the people who do the sport

Check on here and the banned facebook page and ask as many questions as you like for hints and tips even if they sound silly to you and good luck plus it doesnt hurt that much falling off them  :Claugh:

Offline Gremlin

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 07:54:54 PM »
Plus i did notice but a bit of advice get some knee pads as well :Cyes:

Offline Jinxed

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 09:04:44 PM »
Awesome, i'll check it out.
Also i did get some knee pads the day after i made the video. They are just normal skater ones and seem to move slightly where the bars rub them but i'll wear them, better safe than shattered knees.

Offline Gremlin

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 12:06:02 AM »
If you don't like the bar you can always change to cuffs, some like the bar some don't its down to personnel preference, but it be good to get along to some meets, not sure whether your able to get to Basingstoke or London waterloo for the London meets anytime but any of us would pick you up from the railway station on if you drive meet you somewhere so you can follow us to the meet just have to say, and its the best way to learn by watching and asking question face to face and if your lucky and get to a meet with Clive and Jason more then the other Banned bockers cause they have been around for a while :Claugh: or even Locky they will always be willing help in any way any of us can  :PJ101John:     

Offline Jinxed

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 07:05:25 PM »
I think i almost had the run, realised i was bending my knees thus drawing the impact away from the springs.
However pride comes before a fall and i did just that. My first fall on the silts and am i glad i watched that video about how to fall, allowing my body to splay out. Sadly one of my elbow pads moved and i bumped/grazed my elbow which smarts like hell. Couldn't manage to stand either BUT hopefully it may ease my fear of falling, especially after seeing how much of a beating my safety gear took instead of myself.
So gonna curl up tonight with a sweet tea (think i'm in a little shock) and try again tomorrow.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 07:26:01 PM »
The old saying is

"If you ain't falling you ain't trying hard enough"

So well done on your first fall

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK: