Author Topic: Walking On Stilts at Work - Steep Vineyard  (Read 8252 times)

Offline HaloCamper

Walking On Stilts at Work - Steep Vineyard
« on: July 12, 2013, 02:41:45 AM »
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and already have a bunch of questions. I have followed this sport for years now but never tried it myself.
I work in a vineyard. For some tasks I'm a little to small and thus my arms get tired after hours of stretching out.
At a particular hard day I had the Idea Jumping Stilts might be useful at Work as well.

1. Is it possible to walk up and down a hillside with Jumping Stilts (mud, pebbel, high grass)?
2. Can I stand still on them or do I always have to do small steps to keep my balance?
3. Is it more trying to walk with them than your feet? Because I'm going to stand on them for hours.

I think 1.(yes) and 3.(yes) already got partially answered in other threads, but they where aimed more at the running and jumping parts of the sport ^^ . So here again just for the walking .

regards,

Halo

Offline Molk958

Re: Walking On Stilts at Work - Steep Vineyard
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 08:32:54 AM »
If you get a decent grasp of walking on them on flat solid ground then you should be able to manage a slight slope and loose ground.

You will always have to take "baby-steps" to keep your balance yes (unless you make yourself a large walking stick, which could be funny!).

And walking on them can be tiring, but the more you do it then easier it becomes.

Hope that helps.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 07:29:13 PM »
Hi Halo

Agree with Molk with a few additions

I walk round a farm with the wife on a horse in deep mud, dry stony ground and everything in between
Also anything up to 45 degrees is poss with some form of spikes or studs (see the modification section)
So Yes to 1
If you are picking gr***es of pruning you can probably hold on to the branch with one hand and work with the other hand
I prune my fruit trees on mine every year and you can stay still so long as you have one hand on something
So 2 is a maybe
I find that I prefer to stand and walk on them rather than my own feet (Unless it is really slippy) my record so far is about 8 hrs and all the resulting pain was from the jumping about (to much exercise  :Claugh:)
So 3 is eventually

The more time you spend on them the easier it gets to stay on them for longer

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline HaloCamper

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 07:07:47 AM »
Thanks Molk and Jason.

@Jason That sounds awesome. now I'm definitively going to try it myself. Although there is not much holding on to vines :D

Offline CamKrist

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 07:36:38 AM »
I decided to give a hand and sent a post into social bookmarks. I hope the popularity will rise in.
I'm on Twitter and my essay

Offline CamKrist

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 07:37:13 AM »
I decided to give a hand and sent a post into social bookmarks. I hope the popularity will rise in.
I'm on Twitter and my essay

Offline super-spring

• My You Tube
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 03:00:59 AM »
When I teach stilting to the youngsters I always take them to a slope as it gets them used to the fact they need to move their body forwards and backwards to gain balance, When walking up and down the slopes use big steps and lean your body forward for grip and balance and walking down lean back and use little steps.  And I hated wearing them to start with but now I describe everyone as " I feel like im floating when I use them" as it eventually doesnt even feel like your wearing stilts they become apart of you kind of  :Csmile:
Most kids play foot ball ... Or ride bikes or skate board... But me, I am no normal kid ! I love to bock !