Author Topic: Capital Bocking 2013  (Read 8758 times)

Offline Mibsportler

Capital Bocking 2013
« on: March 28, 2013, 10:41:49 AM »
Heya

I was wondering if anyone has already any information about the CB 2013. Cos I might come over with a couple of guys IF we can get a date sorted and we have enough money.

To make this journey worth making I was also wondering if any group would like to have a bounce before or after the CB as we are planning to stay for 10 days as it is quite a journey from Austria.

If any groups are interested to have some fun with us, pls let me know cos we wud really luv to have a nice bock in England.

We will definitely bock around London / Birmingham / Lincoln as I used to work there.

Maybe we can also have a meet with the EA Bockers and Sky High - wud be nice to see some old faces again :D

But we wud also luv to go to new places - so let me know if u r interested so that I can maybe start planning on the date and the route.

Offline Gremlin

Re: Capital Bocking 2013
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 07:37:13 PM »
London always seams to be a good turn out for bockers, maybe drop Clive or Jason from the banned bockers a pm?

Dont know anything about Capital Bocking yet thou

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 12:02:24 AM »
Well I have to be honest with you guys, even though the area in Cardiff Bay where we have Capital Bocking has been resurfaced, I'm just not sure if I've got the time or the energy to sort it out this year.

My heart just isn't in it anymore :(

Offline spring_loaded

• Determined to succeed
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 10:30:09 AM »
How's about we organize it in London then?
(i say we but i'm a fairly useless organizer  :Cconfused: )

Offline Davido

• The Ego
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 02:15:42 PM »
London works for me. However for those who don't fancy spending out on hotels, I have access to a field we could use for camping.

Maybe a day in Basingstoke, camp over, then London the next day?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 08:12:55 PM »
Just an idea but why do we need to organize this

I know Locky puts a lot of work into the Cardiff CB and it shows by how good it is and everyone enjoying themselves

But it is a lot of work and not much fun for the person doing it

If Dave can supply a field (even if not there must be a camp site near enough) why not have CB as a two day meet near the camp site or like Dave said one day in london and one in Basingstoke

Basingstoke is a fab place to bock and there is a station that can get you to london (might have to book early to get cheap rates) but I would be happy to stay there for the two days

If not there lets just all find a few camp sites and see what is around them

What I am trying to say is it is the people that make CB and to be honest we could hold it on a disused airfield or an empty car park and have fun

We have been spoilt a bit by the fab Cardiff bowl and I for one would love to go there again but we can't expect one man to do it all every year

The main problem will be the local authoritys if they decide to say no we are stuffed just because of the number of us

But there must be somewhere that is free and we can have crowds

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline muncher

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 06:52:09 AM »
Ok that's it.. CB2013 in London- good idea. We need..
1 a campsite or place for peeps to stay.
2. A place to bock for 1 day in the city- probably agreed by the council as there will be a big turnout.
3. An idea of places to eat.
4. Some organized activities including competitions with prizes.
5. All of these have to be accessible by cheap transport.
6. If Davido wants 2 days in 2 locations, we need to agree with Basingstoke council as well..
Looks easy, but when I tried to do this for Norwich I spent at least 6 hours making phone calls.
If we want to do this I'll help, but we have to start now!
Pete

Offline spring_loaded

• Determined to succeed
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 10:42:59 AM »
Have we set the wheels in motion then?

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 08:17:25 PM »
he guys

thx for the replies

I don't know if I can help much with organising - as I am not exactly near you and my English is definitely not the best BUT if there is anything I can do - let me know!!!

London sounds great - and it would be even easier for me to get there (or Basingstoke) :D cos Cardiff is quite far up to the North :D

Campsite sounds nice, but if they don't v one, there is always the good old youth hostel which should also be not too expensive (if there is one in basingstoke / will google in a minute)

I didn't know that u had to have permission of the council  - :S i hope they are faster with decision then the one we have in our city - otherwise it cud take decades  :Ctwitcy:

what in my opinion is most important for guys, is the date - u v to fairly early to come up with one, otherwise people can't plan it in and won't come (happens quite often at our impromptu session ^^). so probably some suggestions are in order??? i wud normally go for August as it is warmer??? and then ask council maybe???

let me know if I can help in any other way (maybe I can bring some prizes from Austria - LOADS OF CHOCOLATE ;) )

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 01:08:59 AM »
Firstly, Cardiff is not North  :)

The dates I was going to go with in Cardiff was August 17 and 18th purely because it's always been held on that weekend.
I think a Basingstoke/London idea is great and I'm sure all the welshies will come down for it.
What I would say though is get the council(s) on side. Pretty much if we dont have their permission, we cant bock at that location. You can put sugar coating on that all you like but this is the UK's biggest bocking meet and if people cant bock, we might as well all be sat in Starbucks.
Even though at the very first CB in 2007 was in London, we moved around from place to place and I just dont think that would work today. Back then, we were all new, the sport was new and pretty much everything we did was new. Now we're more known, more feared from a liability perspective and the world is even more H+S obsessed than it ever has been. Let me know if I can help with anything.

Offline Greggles

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • BOCK IT AND ROCK IT
    • www.eabockers.com
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 09:47:59 AM »
i personally never enjoy myself as much in London as i do in Cardiff as people tend to be quite rude about the sport and give a lot of aggro but when we are in the bay there is always a lot to do and more free space to work with and we dont move around as much i understand that locky always put a lot of effort in every year to make it as awesome as it always is and i would love to do anything i can to keep CB in Cardiff bay work me to the bone if you have to :)

Offline Gremlin

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 11:02:23 AM »
Sounds like a good idea

Should put a list of everything that needs to be sorted out and try and get everyone evolved to help out and sort it out as it isnt fair to put it on one persons shoulders to sort out and we are suppose to be a community on here :Cyes:

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 11:17:26 AM »
I know what you mean Greg and the key to cardiff is the great environment here. But maybe now this gives us an excuse to have a nice little cardiff meet :)

Offline Davido

• The Ego
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 06:39:28 AM »
I know what you mean Greg and the key to cardiff is the great environment here. But maybe now this gives us an excuse to have a nice little cardiff meet :)

You should have them more often dude, I'd gladly come up with a few friends and I'm sure others would too :)

As for the event, I have a field we can use to camp in. It's not a dedicated camp site (it's my back garden) but it'll do the job and its free. I'll do as much as I can reference the council and local authorities but if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.

However, from greggs comment i can see that not everyone would like the meet to move away from cardiff. Maybe we could do a poll on a new thread to see how many people want it to remain in Cardiff or move to London?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 12:36:02 PM »
Think Locky has made his feelings clear about Cardiff and I for one don't blame him in any way
It must be soul destroying to put all that effort in to have people moan at you (although most people have nothing but praise for him and Cardiff)

I would love it to be held at Cardiff every year but we have to be fair to the WB's and let them have a rest now and then

I agree with Greg up to a point, you do get some right moaners in London but on the other hand I have had some really nice crowds and comments as well

Most of the problems come from security guards who seem to think we are all mass murders and should be locked up  :Claugh:

Getting permission for anything in London without paying for it is nigh on impossible and there are so many different people to talk to it can get like chasing your own tail so who is gonna be brave and try and get an answer (I did it once and gave up after 3 days )

Just a thought though someone on here suggested the area surrounding the Milennium Dome as a good area but I know nothing about it does anyone have any info

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 05:49:41 PM »
My Main reason is purely because I'm spending more time with work and a radio station than I am bocking these days.

There is absolutely no reason why CB cant still take place in Cardiff without me organising it. I'm easy either way. I just want CB to be enjoyable for all (including me!)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 05:58:49 PM »
The King has spoken  :Claugh: looks like Cardiff is on if we can find a Welsh speaking organizer  :Cbiggrin:

I really think it should be renamed Cardiff Bocking

And there is one really important factor
Is that Pub still open Locky they do the best Apple Crumble in the world mate  :Claugh:

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 09:48:27 PM »
I think it would be fair really if we did a poll, especially since cardiff is so far north :P

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 07:57:06 AM »
hahahahahah Locky, everything from my point of view (Austria - heart of Europe) is NORTH  :Claugh:

and well - London is easier for us, but we would also definitely enjoy a visit to Cardiff - so we can say we have been to Wales  :Cwink:

I think the biggest problem so far is the council on the list, the rest (food, prices,...) are not that a problem.

So in London even the camping site would already be sorted out, I don't know how it is in Cardiff.

We would sleep in a hostel anyway probably because we have no space in the car to put a tent :S it is going to be so crammed in there  :Ctwitcy:

thank god i'm the driver so i have lots of space

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 07:08:13 PM »
Maybe we should hold it in Africa  :Claugh:

Would be south for you Mibsportler  :Cbiggrin:and we might get some sunshine

Seriously though London is a nightmare for organizing as all the local authoritys are a real pain and see any form of extreme sport as idots looking for somewhere to kill themselves and as many bystanders as possible
Camping is a no-no unless you want to travel in from a distance
The tube is quite reasonable but only goes so far (not to a camp site I know of)
Food is expensive and so are drinks

Cardiff seems to have a more live and let die attitude in that if you want to do something stupid it is ok so long as they can watch  :Claugh:
Camping was very good and almost walking distance (if you don't mind a good walk)
Everything I bought was reasonably priced and all the people there were nice

So my vote will be for Cardiff

Offline Davido

• The Ego
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 07:44:08 PM »
Because it means less work for me (and for the fact that Cardiff looks AMAZING from all of the vids I've seen) it has my vote too :)

TO whoever is organising, let me know if I can be of any help!

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 09:15:22 PM »
As you have done it all before Locky can you give us a rough idea of what the minimun is that needs to be done

Do the owners/council of the Bowl need to be asked if we can meet there or do they just need warning that we are invading

And are there any other things that need to be done or is it really a case of all decide on a date and turn up

The camp site was a nice one and near enough to the pub to walk so I would say that we could do a lot worse than book there again

Offline TuRnER 95

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 04:55:34 PM »
Every year I've been so far it's been a great laugh, thoroughly enjoyed Cardiff each year and am defiantly up for going again this year, will mention it to the other riser raptors see who's up for this

Offline clive

• Elite Member
  • jump as high as you can ,,worry about the landing
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 10:05:05 PM »
Well im in for cardiff as ii think the basin is awsome for anyone on bocks, but will be staying in b&b this year , locky you do a awesome job every year Thankyou  :Cnotworthy:

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 09:51:44 PM »
I also wud luv to experience Cardiff - so far we are 4-5 people who would like to come over to the Island :D