Author Topic: How to approach sports hall management etc...  (Read 3292 times)

Offline spring_loaded

• Determined to succeed
How to approach sports hall management etc...
« on: January 15, 2013, 08:55:34 PM »
Just wondering what the best way to approach somebody with regarding use of their facilities for bocking would be?
I know the obvious polite, willing to answer questions but how can i make it easier for me to approach them?

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
Re: How to approach sports hall management etc...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 12:22:46 AM »
1. Dont just call them up and ask over the phone. If you need to call them ask to make an appointment with one of the managers about using the facilities for a rare sport. Avoid giving them details over the phone.

2. Take along your stilts to meet the manager, and also a video of some other gym sessions that have happened elsewhere. The more the better as this creates the question: Why cant I do this here?

3. If they ask about liability insurance, run for the hills. Unless you have some.

4. Having prepared your own risk assessment will show you're taking it seriously and not just going "please can I use your hall".

5. If it gets rough and its not going well, try to turn it on its head and ask who else you could speak to or even put them on the spot and ask why they wont support something like this. Direct questions are hard to answer.

6. If they want a demonstration, DO NOT FALL OVER. As blatently obvious as this is, dont ever underestimate it. You fall, they will say no forever. Infact I'd advise to not do any tricks at all or jump high.
Also if the demonstration happens in the hall, insist on putting gym mats down or the BANG BANG BANG noise will put them right off.

Offline Davido

• The Ego
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 02:14:49 PM »
Also worth mentioning that your stilts won't damage the equipment and that you tape up any sharp edges or bolts. Even better if you have your own crash mats.

Currently going through this process myself with a gym local to me so I feel your pain!  :Claugh:

Offline acroair

• acroair.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 02:01:33 PM »
hi , i am  currently involved with 3 halls . yeeeeee  :Cbiggrin:

And the main thing has always been liabilities and CRB checks , thus have my own insurance for the workshops and teaching and have been CRB certificated to work with children( very important in this day and age ).

But in my experience , if they want you there , then they will help you try to do the legalities (ie: risk assessments and other stuff.)

if you need any help , and i can ? would be glad to .

I run a 2 hour session every wednesday in cleethorpes , if thats any good ?

chris

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 05:30:04 PM by acroair »

Offline spring_loaded

• Determined to succeed
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 05:35:07 PM »
Wednesday  :Cchatterbox:
Unfortunately a little thing called school stands in the way haha

Offline acroair

• acroair.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 10:30:39 PM »
sorry 5pm till 7pm wednesday  :Claugh: :Claugh: :Claugh:

Offline spring_loaded

• Determined to succeed
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 10:44:40 PM »
Still a fair way from Boston but i can try :L
What sort of session?