Author Topic: Flipping practice  (Read 4569 times)

Offline Davido

• The Ego
Flipping practice
« on: November 03, 2012, 10:07:58 PM »
Hi guys! Here's a vid of me practicing front flips and realising just how hard they really are!  :Claugh: Was very angry at myself for being too much of a wuss to try any back flips, but I'll get to them eventually :P

Any tips or feedback would really be appreciated. I'm just winging it at the moment so if you see anything I'm doing wrong please let me know :)

&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: If you're wondering about the ivy, it's from a halloween costume. I just haven't gotten round to taking it all of yet.

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
Re: Flipping practice
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 02:09:06 AM »
Only things I can see is you are coming out of the tuck too early and not enough rotation as you go in.
As you come down for the last bounce before the flip get both arms up above your head so that after take off for the flip you can start your rotation by pulling them down, tucking your elbows into your side, your hands by your head which should be down, arch your back bringing your knees up to your chest legs bent. Now stay like that untill you hit the floor.
When you start landing and face planting on the mat you can start working on opening you tuck at the very last min but not until. The stilts slow your rotation lots so the extra effort for the tuck is needed until you start getting the hang of it.
Now thats the theory, it does work if your young enough (like you) I'm now getting too old to do things like that though I do speek from experiance from many yrs ago.
Good luck I'm sure you'll have it nailed very soon. good vid btw.

Growing OLD is compulsory. Growing UP is optional. OPT OUT!

Offline Davido

• The Ego
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 07:00:17 PM »
Cheers Snud, I'll have to give that a go! Not sure I'm liking the sound of 'face plant into mat' though  :Claugh:

Offline clive

• Elite Member
  • jump as high as you can ,,worry about the landing
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 10:21:08 PM »
David im going to a gym this monday eve trampoline lessions think jason is coming it starts at 815 do you fancy coming along

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 11:58:27 PM »
Right Dave I'm gonna be brutal here, no sugar coating..

1. Get off the gravel. Chuck the mat on top of your car and drive it to a park if you need to. Ideally, have a tarmac/concrete approach and put the mat on some grass.
You will almost never learn to land a front flip from bouncing in front of the mat like that.

2. You NEED an approach. The momentum of starting back 12 feet or so will actually help your rotation. It can also cause you to travel and miss the whole mat so take it easy, one little bit at a time.

3. The flip at 0:48 is the cleanest there. As Snud says, your arms are critical. Dont ever open the tuck. Ever.
On a couple of them your head turns to the side as you look for the floor. This causes a shoulder to drop and is a MAJOR problem when you get close to landing them. Dont look to the side, dont look for the floor. It's always there, don't worry :)

4. Flipping well done mate. Fantastic to see :)

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 12:01:06 AM »
and please dont go for a backflip yet.

Offline Greggles

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • BOCK IT AND ROCK IT
    • www.eabockers.com
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 02:36:13 PM »
As you come down for the last bounce before the flip get both arms up above your head so that after take off for the flip you can start your rotation by pulling them down, tucking your elbows into your side, your hands by your head which should be down, arch your back bringing your knees up to your chest legs bent. Now stay like that untill you hit the floor.

NOOOOOOOOOOO

i teach trampolining and that is the way to land on your face and brake your neck!

you don't want to throw your head down to you knees as all that is going to do is plummet you to the floor and on to your face

as locky said get off that gravel it is the worst thing ever for front flips and you need to put a blocking motion in to your run or bounce

best way to learn is to bounce into them on your final bounce jump further forward than normal legs slightly out in front of your body (known as a block) throw your arms up and try and lift your bum over your head then bring your knees to your chest on the first few attempts try and have your knees wide apart it will feel strange but this will stop you braking your nose on landing if you are still tucked up

the best place to start teaching your self is on a trampoline if you can find a local club with a coach thats even better as the will teach you the correct way of doing it and will be a safer environment for you if you want come to one of the EA Gym meets and i will have you doing them within the 2 hour session :) good luck

Offline clive

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 02:54:37 PM »
So if i were to come along with david would you have me fliping in two hours or am i a no go lol  :Ctwitcy:

Offline Davido

• The Ego
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 05:07:14 PM »
Locky, cheers for the tips, glad to have the faults pointed out! I'm happy that everyone is slating the gravel and it's not just me thinking its awful to jump on!  :Claugh:

I'd love to take the mats to a nice park somewhere but as I don't think the mrs would like it if I strapped them to the top of our Astra :P I have an alternative place to store/use them but there's no grass unfortunately.

Greggles: If you guys are having a meet soon, please let me know because I'd definitely be up for it! I can back/front flip comfortably on a trampoline, it's just transferring it onto bocks that I'm struggling with.

Cheers for all the tips & advice eveyone! :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:08:56 PM by Davido »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 10:01:06 PM »
Won't give advice mate as I can't do it  :Claugh:

But you look like you are most of the way there to me just need a tad more height and a bit more rotation

Just keep at it and don't stop half way round like I did  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline clive

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 10:04:51 PM »
Iv stilll got the video david  :Cyes: :Cwink:

Offline muncher

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 10:13:16 PM »
I wish I could get that far! Last time I tried flipping, I gave myself whiplash.. I'm too scared to try it after that experience... P

Offline Greggles

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • BOCK IT AND ROCK IT
    • www.eabockers.com
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 02:09:36 PM »
are next meet is going to be on the 2nd of december if you wanna come your more than welcome the cost of are gym is just split between whoever is their if you know any one els bring them all the more people the better and cheaper

clive i could give it a go you have the hight from when i last saw you :P come on over and we can have a go no promises tho

Offline clive

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 10:17:23 PM »
cheers greg most probley come down with david need to see if i can do the 2nd of december as i think im away that weeknd will let you know..all the best clive

Offline Davido

• The Ego
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 11:16:11 PM »
cheers greg most probley come down with david need to see if i can do the 2nd of december as i think im away that weeknd will let you know..all the best clive

Road trip! :D