Author Topic: a strip of teflon....good idea?  (Read 3128 times)

Offline JOLLY JUMPER

a strip of teflon....good idea?
« on: September 24, 2012, 10:31:34 PM »
well, I was thinking....
If you'd have a teflon strip,about 1200x70x3,and you'd bolt that on the back of the springs....wouldn't that be great for protection of your springs?
You could just use some of the existing connection points to bolt it onto the back (=exposed part)of the springs,making the centre one fixed, and give the outer fixing points the ability to  make the teflon "glide"...so the teflon should have some movement according to the flexibility of the spring...
the thing is you actually don't have to cover the whole spring,just the back and the sides have to be impact free...and since my springs are about 60mm on their widest point , the teflon(which is 70mm wide,remember?) would always take the hit on impact,not the leaf spring...

if it works it should be very strong&reliable and it should look way cleaner than bike tyres &/or loads of ducktape!,

what's your opinion?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:36:07 PM by JOLLY JUMPER »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
Re: a strip of teflon....good idea?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 07:42:01 PM »
Couple of problems I can see mate

While the Teflon will protect the back of the springs a lot of damage is done due to one spring (or rather the bolts on it ) connecting with the front of the other spring so you would be wise to cover both sides also how much damage can the Teflon take and how thick and flexable is it

Most of the damage done to springs is on the edge of the springs that is why the Tyre spring covers are so good they protect all round

Someone did this with Aluminium successfully and I seem to remember a Carbon cover

Only way to find out is to do a set and try them

Will be interesting to see them so post some pictures

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline JOLLY JUMPER

Re: a strip of teflon....good idea?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 11:22:23 AM »
well...
in mean time I ordered some  slabs of teflon on the net,price 70.00Eu...
still cheaper /less hassle than a set of broken springs, and I already can tell that things are looking up...
why?
well, in the length the  3 mm thik teflon is as flexibe as an exotic dancer,but won't flex in the width...(70mm width)
so that's perfect!
why?
well, in the length the slab has to "adapt" to the movement of  the spring, but it may not budge sideways in the width,because it permanently has to stay in front of the spring to protect it...
and by  the first looks of it, this is just what it will do. :Cyes:
a word about the toughness of teflon,well...
it's pretty tough.
they use it to make guides or gliders  to let oiltankers slide into the water...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:43:35 PM by JOLLY JUMPER »