Author Topic: People say some strange things...  (Read 23892 times)

Offline Manny

People say some strange things...
« on: September 05, 2012, 09:05:37 PM »
Soo... I've been out on my bocks for the first time today! Went really well, been running, jumping and all sorts but... Theres mixed reactions from people I meet on my bocking travels!

So the first person, I was walking behind a bush and i came out from behind it and she said "I honestly thought you were just that tall". That obviously set me up for "and this springy?" which she found very funny lol

So the second person was someone I know and he simply said, "you look like a gay robot." Not much I could say to that except "ok."

And the third person I met was a delightful chav xD So the chavs followed me for a while and then one piped up and said "Are you training for Avatar?". I was like I've seen that film but dont recall them bocking... xD Would have been f**king cool though if they had!

Offline TheWhiteYeti

Re: People say some strange things...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 09:51:54 PM »
I completely agree man. I've had nothing negative yet. Could be luck of the draw though. Everyone in my neighbourhood loves them! The always smile and ask questions. Just remember, we are the ones having fun!  :Claugh:

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 11:14:06 PM »
Hmmm I feel we now need a gay robot dance :)

Trust me you get a bit tired of the usual public questions but there is nothing better than a group of chavs with the usual "do a backflip" and doing one before they are even done asking.

Offline Manny

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 07:00:44 AM »
Lol Yeti, sounds like you are lucky. I mean, I think its just because people don't see bocks ever (I've never seen another person in Milton Keynes with some) that they feel the need to make stupid comments all the time! But I do love the people that are generally interested but they still are not having a go -_- Everyone seems to want ago aha

And Locky, don't worry I've already got the gay robot dance down... Its like the normal robot with alot more hip movements and bending of the wrists aha. But yes it will be nice to be able to backflip on demand soon! Off the bocks I can  do it no problem, on them I feel it will be more of a back-to-face-flip if you get what I mean!!  :Claugh:

Offline TheWhiteYeti

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 01:45:45 PM »
I'm definitely lucky. I'm always doing something silly, as I own one of the 'pro' pogosticks too, everyone just wants to either have a go or ask questions! Probably not the best time to get them during the Paralympics as most questions are "Is that the same technology as the paralympians? So what do you use them for?" To which you have to answer "Fun" and then they spend 5 minutes trying to make you not feel bad. Haha. I've managed to get one of my friends interested, but at least you have some local or nearby people to go meet. I'll have to spread my area a little more.  :Csmile:

Offline Manny

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 02:30:11 PM »
Aha i wish I was that lucky! But no your very right... The "Hi Oscar Pistorius" joke has already gotten old after one day... But when they ask if it is the same technology I just answer yes and claim to have no legs and walk off aha!

But yes I have a few friends interested here in Milton Keynes now so I'll see if I can get it a bit more popular here. I don't think it will be difficult because I was a musician for a long time and was in every Milton Keynes and surrounding area event, I think if there was a strong enough team we could perform at all these events! I think this is soething to suggest to everyone on this forum anyway!

Offline Manny

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 02:20:49 PM »
Just to add to these stories! I picked the busiest place to go to today!

People were stopping me for pitcures, asking me how much they cost/work and everything about em!

But I did get sooooo many people asking me if they wre my legs -_- ... YOU CAN SEE MY LEGS & FEET!!!! xD Also I had one old guy come up to me and say

"I Am so proud of you for bringing life back to people with no legs..."

I simply replied "Thanksssss" lol

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 08:13:28 PM »
Best one I heard of was "I thought they were only CGI "  :Claugh:

A good answer is "Don't mention them I have a bit of a Height Complex"

Or "Dam where did they come from I thought everyone looked short today"

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline TheWhiteYeti

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 08:45:20 PM »
Best day EVER for comments!

I have loads of people asking Ad and I and we were just hanging in a local park that's out of town. Two young guys wanted to know price and make and such, so maybe some new recruits?
  First picture! A lovely old man wanted a quick photo and a lady asked what she said was probably a silly question (about the paralympic links) I said there aren't any silly questions and yes.  :Csmile:

Offline Manny

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 10:31:02 PM »
Aha Jason! "CGI"? Some people are just insane :S

But they are some of the best answers ever! I need someone to ask me that now  :Claugh:

And its awesome Yeti when people ask for pictures! Feel famous walking through the city now lol

Offline Adman

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 11:26:30 PM »
It was quite nice as well people just walking past admiring the bocks. People really seem to have a genuine interest in what we are doing, or in my case, trying to look like I know what I'm doing.

Went for a little walk to test my walking and the amount of people just commenting S we want past was awesome, saying how interesting it is and how easy we make it look. Nice little confidence booster on day one :Cbiggrin:

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 11:27:41 PM »
The one I really hate is: Come on then, give us a demonstration.

I am not a circus monkey and if I was, you dont have enough peanuts to pay me.

Offline Manny

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »
I bet that was nie booster Adman! It is nice when people show and good interest!

And Locky I have had that already too! Got the orginal, "do a backflip" and another guy "I'm not impressed until you backflip". But this guy was some fat ugly t**t so an easy target for "I'm not impressed until you lose some weight, brush your teeth, get a job and try to dodge cars on the motorway" ;) Bit of a mean reply but sometimes the stupidity of people brings it out LOL!

Offline TheWhiteYeti

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 12:04:04 PM »
I ran for someone that day, but they asked very politely... and if Locky is paid in peanuts then Ad and I will have to bring along a bag.  :Claugh:

Offline Adman

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 12:17:07 PM »
KP or Nobbies?  :Cbiggrin:

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 08:41:35 PM »
KP, salted not roasted.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 09:26:07 PM »
Really Locky I heard you were partial to Nobbys Nuts (Sprog told me  :Claugh:)

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline TheWhiteYeti

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 10:42:12 PM »
We're going to have so much fun asking you to trick for nuts.  :Claugh:

Offline mips_1974

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 04:53:44 PM »
I've been practicing since thursday. It only took me less than 20 mins to get my balance. I've had people say 'What's the weather like up there', 'you look like a giant' to 'I wouldn't do that - I'd break my neck'.

Considering I have spent my second day on the pro-jumps, I've only fallen down once and a lady asked me if I needed any help? I replied no, I've got to master getting up by myself unaided and yes I got up unaided.

I'm proud of myself :-)

All the best to the newbies to bockers, Pro-jumpers etc whatever you call it.

Offline blooroo

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 12:21:15 PM »
An old topic, but a good one so I figured why not try my hand at some necromancy! =P live... LIIIIIVE!

I love to bock in this beautiful park right near where I live, though I am usually not the only one there by far. I have only been able to bounce about a half dozen times now and each time I go one of two things happen- I get a school of small children following me around or I get little old ladies who want to know what they are and why I am on them. I'm always happy to answer and explain how they work/the brand/etc, but it's not the comments that make me smile as much as the looks. Oh the looks people make when you jog past, as if they were seeing a giant in real life! XD folks driving by give the funniest "My god what is that thing!?" looks, especially when at traffic lights.

Sometimes it's almost as though people's reactions are as fun as bouncing on them in general.

Offline Teggi6288

• Matthew Johns Facebook
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2013, 04:24:19 AM »
The strangest reaction I've had was outside a school I was passing where a young girl about 12 or 13 with a completely expressionless face stared me straight in the eye and said "I'm gonna push you over". It took me a few seconds to think of what i could possibly say as a reasonable response. I finally after a few second of silence replied "I'd rather you didn't".

Undeterred however the girl then turned to my girlfriend and said "Well if i cant, then you do it". At this point i was half worried my girlfriend might actually do it for fun but luckily she was just as taken back as i was. She then told the Girl that she couldn't do that as that would hurt me and its wrong to hurt people like that. At this point the girl must have realized this weird conversation Wasn't going the way she wanted and without another word turned around and headed home.

Besides that one isolated incident i just get the standard questions like "How much did they cost" and "Isn't it scary being up that high?"

Offline Molk958

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 11:56:13 AM »
And the ever present..."Can you do a backflip??"