Author Topic: Bad Knee  (Read 10265 times)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
Bad Knee
« on: August 15, 2012, 10:04:59 PM »
Bit of a strange one this
Just want to ask if anyone else has had anything like it

Bout 2 months ago I dropped my motorbike on my left leg (from an emergency endo  :Claugh: )
Didn't hurt to much or bruise at all but since then I have fallen on it a few times both bocking and drift skating

Hard to describe but it is a bit like when you hit your funny bone but slightly more painful
I limp very badly for about 5 mins or 200yds and then it is fine again

The strang thing it the falls that cause it are not very hard ones but only when I fall on my left side which I do a lot on the drift skates  (I can hit the ground hard with both knees and it won't happen)

So folks any ideas or anyone had something similar

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
Re: Bad Knee
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 12:58:10 PM »
I have similar problemss with my right knee but just put it down to old age and years of physical abuse!  :Ctwitcy:
The thing these young uns have to look forward to!  :Cyes:

Growing OLD is compulsory. Growing UP is optional. OPT OUT!

Offline billymaya

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 12:58:53 PM »
i dont suffer mate but perhaps you have a trapped nerve or something and after you walk about a bit it pings out from where ever its caught up to might explain why you dont have to hit it very hard to hurt??

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 10:13:20 AM »
Thanks guys nice that we oldies care about each other  :Claugh:

Think I have found a cure for it on the CB saturday and it is so simple I can't believe I didn't think of it before

Just stop falling off the drift skates  :Claugh: (wonder how long this will last  :Cbiggrin: )

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline billymaya

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 10:58:33 PM »
lol you did really well mate had me beat several time :D

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 07:20:02 PM »
I really enjoyed our races mate and will be practicing for the next meet  :Claugh:

Just ordered the white wheeled set from e-bay to see if they are better than the coloured wheel ones

So next year there will be at least 4 sets at the bay  :Claugh: it will be a bit like the Ben Hur chariot race  :Cbiggrin: pushing allowed

Thanks for the loan of yours it made my day mate

Jason

Offline Squeeker

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 08:51:27 PM »
I also ordered some of the white ones, so make that 5 sets

Offline billymaya

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 09:03:42 PM »
no worries jason glad you enjoyed using them let me know how you get along with the white ones when they arrive :) i took the wheels off of the official ones tonight to give them a clean and a grease seems to be turning much smoother now :) just as a note of interest the bearings inside the originals are abec-5 so would be interesting to see what they would be like to upgrade them to some thing like abec-9  :Ceek: lol

ive been over the park this evening for an hour good way of letting off steam and to get away from the kids for five mins pmsl was practicing doing a 360 turn to try and land back on the back skate again slowly getting them but cant land on the skate again yet also trying to create enough speed to get to the top of the skate ramp about 3/4 of the way up will have to keep trying :)

squeeker thats awsome mate look forward to popping down to plymouth for a go up on the hoe :D

i think naz is missing out on a trick here yer know might be a nice little side line dont think there are an uk suppliers of the official freeline skates  :Cchatterbox:  :Cwink:

i was saying to clive earlier jason that we will have to organise either us coming to you for a weekend before winter sets in or you and clive coming down to us you would be most welcome to stay at my place :)

Oh and also you'll be gutted mate we went to look for a cafe on the sunday morning for a cup of tea and some breakfast and just across the way from the campsite the other side of the rugby pitch theres a huge park with lovely sloping tarmaced paths :( if only we had known huh!! saddly i didnt get a chance to try them out maybe next year though ;)

Offline GiraffeMitch

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 12:49:15 PM »
Just to let you all know us "young uns" do get hurt as well lol  :Claugh:
I sometimes have problems with my knee but it never hurts while im on my stilts  :Csmile: hope your injuries get better oldies  :Claugh: "your only as old as you feel"

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 07:49:19 PM »
Yep Mitch but we don't have to fall over for it to start hurting  :Claugh: and the saying is "You are only as old as the woman you feel"  :Claugh:

As far as I know Billy the difference between abec 5 and abec 9 is mainly waterproofing and high speed performance and somehow I think if we ever get up to that higher revs we won't want more speed  :Claugh: just the opposite  :Cbiggrin:
Having said that I am working with second hand info and you can proove me wrong in the races next year mate  :Claugh:

It sounds like you are getting way to much practice mate  :Cbiggrin: don't want you getting to much better than me  :Claugh:
Those ramps scare me mate so I suppose I will have to get down to our local skate park and get over the fear

Offline Squeeker

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 09:48:45 PM »
I heard that higher abec numbers are also more fragile, so abec 9 may be too fragile for drift skates?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 09:08:42 PM »
Ok folks I got my White Wheel ones tonight and had a quick go in the drive

The bearings seem to be a bit tight but what can you expect for £20  :Claugh: and I remember my others were like that when I first got them just needed adjusting and running in a bit (Probably ABEC Minus 10  :Cbiggrin:)

First go on them seems like they are easier to power as I went the length of my drive much faster and nearly ran the cat over but that could be me getting better

Lunch time tomorrow I will give them a proper try so if you never hear from me again they are probably very good  :Claugh:

Offline billymaya

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 09:41:35 PM »
glad to hear they arrived mate i think squeeker got his this morning to he sent me a text messege :) altogether i think five people that went to capital bocking and tried the skates have now brought some should be great next year in cardiff lol let me know how you get on with them tomorrow :)

Offline Squeeker

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 10:32:56 PM »
I think the white ones, from my use of them are as easy to propel along as the official freelines as the wheels are same shape/grip etc. The bearings just aren't quite as good. But funnily enough, after using mine today, I have broken in one bearing and it seems to run for like 4 times as long as the other 3.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 06:50:01 PM »
Ok Guys

I took mine to work this morning and tried them in the workshop
Instant fail they made a clack clack noise as I tried to power them
Narrowed it down to the bearings moving in the wheels (you could actually make them click with your hands )
So took them apart and had a look

Now the thing that annoys me about Chineese engineering are the silly thinks they cut costs on

The frames are super and they are fitted with ABEC-7 bearings the wheeles are well made and are a match for sets that cost twice what the whole skates cost me

The problem was a badly made and too large bearing spacer it took me about an hour to take all 4 out and grind them down to the right anglle and size (using a pillar drill and a bit of wet and dry)
They now run so well that they are scaring me
I recon I am getting about half as much speed again as my old ones and now have to jump sooner  :Claugh:

I can't really complain at £20 but it seem a shame that they can turn out such a good product that is ruined by something that is so easy to cure

So squeeker have a look at yours to see if it is the same problem and if it is and you can get access to apillar drill I willl explain how to do it 

Offline Squeeker

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 07:52:49 PM »
Yeah same problem, and not sure about access to a pillar drill but tell me how to do it, I may be able to figure out a way to DIY the pillar drill. But then again, my dad might have a pillar drill in the garage, god knows what he has there :L

Offline billymaya

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 10:07:56 PM »
been out all day working but i did manage to squeeze in a small free lining seshion in waitrose carpark before we came home and it felt really good for the first time i felt confident and it all flowed really smoothly if that makes sense :)

i had the same problem with my pair but only with one skate although saying that havent felt the click for a while now it happened mainly as i stood on it at a angle ready for the push off

my official ones dont do it at all im glad i brought the official ones but at £70 its alot of money keep an eye out on ebay i think the ones that sold over the cb weekend on ebay official ones only went for £15 :0 bargains can be had

i look forward to meeting up with you all for a good skate and stilt seshion soon :)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2012, 11:37:32 AM »
Ok Squeeker

It is simple really
If you undo one of the nuts the wheel will come off (don't drop the 2 washers one either side of the wheel they are important)
Lay the wheel on its side and carefully drift the opposite bearing out (the bottom one ) it should come out easy just be sure to use the drift/screwdriver on the center of the bearing not the soft shields as they bend easy

You will now find a small bit of tube that goes between the bearings to keep the centers apart (this is too long and needs shortening by about 1/2 a mm)

Put the tube in the chuck of the pillar drill with just a little bit sticking out (don't overtighten it as you will crush the tube )
Set the table an inch or so below the chuck and stick a bit of fine emery paper on the table

You can now start the drill and lower it untill it is lightly touching the paper
Keep the paper moving sliding it back and forth so it evenly grinds the end of the tube

Do this untill the tube is square on that end (only takes a short time) then reverse the tube in the chuck so the other end sticks out and repeat

It is then a case of trying it in the skate and taking a bit off each time until it fits right
A set of digital calipers helps so you can measure it to get a good fit but it can be done withyout just takes longer

It is a lot easier to show than explain but hopefully that should be clear if not ask about the bits that are confusing  :Cbiggrin:

Offline Squeeker

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 04:41:26 PM »
any chance of a quick video explaining it with the parts in hand, just dont want to muck up is all.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 06:19:46 PM »
That will have to wait till about mid week mate as I am not at work till tuesday but I will try to

It really is easy once you realise what needs doing just a bit time consuming

Offline Squeeker

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 06:58:55 PM »
Dont worry about it now jason, I figured it out and fixed it using a file and wet and dry. All good now and the wheels will spin for 2-3 times longer. I found I had to take it down from 10.5mm to 9.7mm.

Thanks for the help  :Cnotworthy:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 08:53:14 PM »
Yep mate that sounds about the same amount I had to remove

Didn't have that problem on the coloured wheel ones though

Gonna give them a good try tomorrow

Offline billymaya

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 09:24:48 PM »
hoping to get out on them tomorrow myself :) will try and get to halloween bock this year and bring them up with me :D maybe make it a weekend  :)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 08:18:31 PM »
Ok Guys

I think this vid speaks for itself  :Claugh:

They are really good and a bit to fast for me this vid was the 3rd attempt and I had managed to slow it down a bit

The first time through that tunnel was real scary  :Cbiggrin:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 08:23:46 PM by Jason »

Offline billymaya

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 10:59:45 AM »
good speed there mate  :Cchatterbox: lol that tunnel looks fun but a bit scary id be worried id fall off lose the skates and they would go under a car lol :D

loving the speed wobble ;) funny how that happens when you pick up speed on them :D

i have now found myself putting the skates in the van where ever i go just in case i come across a nice place to try them on :D we went to a hot air balloon festival yesterday at a large school and they had a out door basket ball court that was taped off for a fun childrens area i was so tempted to get the skates out but was worried security would nobble me lol