Author Topic: Bockers Shin?  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Sherwin

Bockers Shin?
« on: April 21, 2012, 04:41:43 PM »
Hey guys,

New to the site, but I've got a question:

I decided to wear my bocks over to a friends house, about a mile away from me. I thought it'd be good practice and I figured I'd be able to jog the whole way...

Turns out if you can't jog a mile, jogging with giant weights on your legs is quite difficult... so I ended up walking a lot.

But my question is this: is it normal to get shin splints when you first start using stilts?

Thinking about some other threads I've read, could it be because the calf cuffs I'm using are too tight in the back so my legs are angled forward?

Any thoughts?

Offline Raephen

Re: Bockers Shin?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 05:01:15 PM »
Hi Shirwin,

While I don't exactly know what you mean by 'shin splints', it does sound familiar. It's always a good idead to fool arround with a calf cuff to find the fit best suited for you, but another tip I'd like to give you: do stretches and warm ups before any time on bocks, especially in the beginning of your bocking adventure.
You use a lot of muscles diffrently (and even some different muscles altogether) than compared to normal walking / running.
I hate normal running - for personal reasons ;) - and I, too,couldn't make a mile. On bocks, I couldn't yet either, but it looks more propable than on foot, for sure (and more fun / like a real work-out anyway!).

To (mis)qoute Sting: A gentleman will bounce, but never run.

Cheers!

The Bouncing Dutchman,
Ralph
The Bouncing Dutchman

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 05:52:03 PM »
I think the amount of running is the problem with shins. Even with the spring action your shin muscles are used somewhat more than usual to lift the spring on each step which is more when running.

I've found it's easier to skip than it is run for distances :)

Other than that, just start shorter and build up. I dont think it's a long term problem.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 07:59:45 PM »
Hi Sherwin

I have only known one other person get shin splints and he was a very extreme bocker and I believe he had to take a short break while they settled but this was well into his bocking career

My first question is do you mean shin splints as I know a lot of people that refer to pain in the shins as that and are you developing the lumps
Second question is your age as younger folks tend to get them when jogging/running on hard ground (oldies too but not as much)

I would think that you would be far less likely to get them on Bocks as they are caused by concussion and the Bocks massively reduce this as compared to running
I managed to fracture a couple of bones in my legs due to hard ground and bad shoes running when younger but have not had any problems on Bocks

If you do mean just pain in the lower leg I can think of a couple of reasons

Do you tense your ankle joint and try to push your toes down when you run (I used to in fixed feet) this will give you pain in the calf/shin area try relaxing the ankle as it is fixed and you are fighting the frames and won't win  :Cbiggrin:
The cuffs want to be tight but not enough to cause pain of cut the blood off try them a little looser
And yes try adjusting back and forward until you are comfy I have my leg almost touching the frame on mine  (just get a flat hand in the gap)

If all else fails and it still hurts after a few weeks go see your Doc as it may be something else causing the problem and better safe than sorry

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK: