Author Topic: Springing in Seattle  (Read 3535 times)

Offline UpFromOne

Springing in Seattle
« on: December 11, 2011, 01:09:48 AM »
Hey all - thanks for the great site! I'm between Seattle & Tacoma in western Washington state.

Just got my first pair, the latest air trekker extreme CZ80s. I'm at the bottom of that weight range. Have about an hour on em so far. Takes more getting used to than the ads let on, thats for sure. But like anything, keep at it, eh?

I'm a modder, so Ive already started replacing bolts with titanium, and modifying the calf cuff supports. It seems that most bokkers ultimately don't need (or want) alot of adjustment, especially if only one person is gonna be using them. So for example the first thing I did was re-mount the rod clamps higher up on the square tube, using the highest 2 central holes for bolting. That saved about 4-5 useless inches on the rods themselves, which can then be cut to fit.

I think there's alot of room still for mechanical and weight-saving improvements. After all, a lighter stilt should be easier to manuever. When I get to where they're ready for prime time, I'll post in the Mods section.

Offline Joe Legg

• What goes up! Must come down!
    • www.PushYourLimits.co.uk
Re: Springing in Seattle
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 01:32:49 AM »
Hi UpFromone

Just keep at it and you will get the hang of it. try not to get annoyed that people are jumping higher than you at the start. It all take time and technique.

I look forward to your mods.

And welcome to the forum.

E-Mail: joe@pushyourlimits.co.uk
Latest Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3mB5yxMHjE

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 11:46:26 AM »
A man after my own heart there  :Cbiggrin:

I have shortened the calf bars on a couple of my stilts but found the weight saving so minimal that I didn't bother with my latest ones

I replaced the footstraps with custom made ones which saves a bit of weight and improved comfort

Latest mod was fitting the Powerskip walking foot and bar clamps to a set of Exo springs for what I consider the ultimate bocks (but that is just me  :Claugh: )

Looking forward to your mods

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline UpFromOne

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 05:34:59 AM »
My current goals are lighter overall weight, and ultimately a different calf support, like carbon fiber knee brace designs. But for now I'm starting to cut up some old track bike alloy handlebars, hoping that the curved section could be cut & adapted to wrap around the calf cuff a bit more than the stock straight pieces. Vintage handlebars are usually the same diameter (22.2mm or slightly larger), and my thought is to take a wide (44cm) bar, cut as near in the center as possible, using what would be the horizontal flat portion on a bike as the vertical clamped portion on the stilts. Drilling holes for the cuff mounts. Etc. I'll post soon in the Mods section.

LOL, I have no problem with others' abilities...my heights will come too!

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 12:25:16 PM »
I use the kneebar cut into 3 so I get the curve for free so it follows my leg
I also aneal and flatten the bolt end so it lays closer to my leg

Between those two mods and making my own style cuffs they protrude very little and are light

If you look on page three half way down you can see the latest version of the Cuffies also have a look at the first and second page it may help with your design (save you making all the mistakes I did  :Claugh: )

http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=586.50

If you like moding try a set of these

http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=5759.0

It is fun having the only 2 pairs of these in the world  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline BitLord83

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 06:36:10 PM »
First off, welcome to the sport!

Sorry to go slightly off topic but I'm looking at getting a pair of Air-Trekker extreme myself and have a couple of questions about yours if you don't mind me asking.

1) Did you buy them from Air-Trekker directly or somewhere else?

2) Does the bicycle seat style clamp that holds the calf cuffs in place feel cheesy or week in any way, or does it feel pretty beefy and strong?

3) Are the hooves all rubber, or are they an aluminum foot with a rubber bolt on pad on the bottom?

Maybe even a few pictures or a video if you feel like it would help out all us Americans who can't get pro-jumps. I'm also looking forward to seeing your mods! Thanks a lot in advance!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 07:29:59 PM by BitLord83 »

Offline UpFromOne

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 05:59:36 AM »
BitLord - I just started a thread in Mods about tightening up the calf rods, pics to come.

1. Bought mine on eBay. You can find pairs that are up on auction after like 10 minutes of use, just have to wait for your size.

2. IMO the quick release clamps need to be torqued down to the point where the cam axle is bending when locked down. I'm working on replacing that whole setup with direct bolt-on fixed-position calf rods. Also my thread shows how to relocate the clamps higher up on the vertical rail for less flex in the rods.

3. The CZs do have all-rubber feet, although I suspect that the mount is a tapped aluminum core wrapped in rubber, so the 2 mounting bolts can thread into it.

Offline BitLord83

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 02:57:06 PM »
UpFromOne- Thanks for the great response. I've seen your other threads and they are certainly interesting. I guess my biggest worry is the calf cuffs slipping with the clamp. I would like to get them set and then leave them.

With your mod putting the calf cuff clamps up higher on the stilt, have you found that they slip less now? If that's the case then that seems like a great solution for taller bockers who are having the weaker clamp slip on them.

Keep up the good work! Thank you!