Author Topic: Help convincing my mom to get me a pair of stilts  (Read 7402 times)

Offline GingerJumper

Help convincing my mom to get me a pair of stilts
« on: November 24, 2011, 07:49:06 PM »
Ok so i realy want a pair of stilts but my mom is like it keeps your ankle still so your knee is the next thing to go and im like well its like the susspention in your car the impact is in your stilt not your knee and she tryed to make up a new excuse to not get me them and she was like well wat if you fall then wat if you twist your knee so my question is have any of you had knee problems when u fall and how would you fall to try to avoid injury
I'm sorry for any misspellings i'm most likely on my iphone and i also suck at spelling in the first place so ya sry o also if u wan add me on facebook just go to www.facebook.com/piroguy21 just send me a message saying ur frome the jumping stilt boards so i know who you r

Offline super-spring

• My You Tube
Re: Help convincing my mom to get me a pair of stilts
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 08:00:13 PM »
Hey bud :) I fell off a 3 story house last year and have had constant knee proplems... But stilting has not affecting my knees in any way :) and if you fall you will be okay thanks to protective geat :D so buy some protective gear and I'm your proff that your kneees do not hurt.. But my tip is buy second hand ones for cheep from ebay and if u like it and can do it... Buy new ones :)
Most kids play foot ball ... Or ride bikes or skate board... But me, I am no normal kid ! I love to bock !

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 08:28:46 PM »
The only knee injury I have ever seen is one due to a failed flip attempt and that was bad luck

I also have a bad knee and find that the bocking helps it by giving it low impact exercise

The most likely injury is to wrists and if you wear wristguards you are fairly safe from that (I don't know of a wrist injury whilst wearing guards

Also wear knee and elbow pads and a helmet at least at the start (Longer if you are into extreme stuff)

With that lot you should be fine but you can get spine protectors and padded shorts if you want to be extra safe (or extra dangerous  :Claugh:)

I am not saying that any sport is safe but I would rather be on stilts than on a mountain bike in todays traffic so if your parents let you ride a bike you would be safer on stilts

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Joe Legg

• What goes up! Must come down!
    • www.PushYourLimits.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 09:22:53 PM »
I have been using jumping stilts for over 4 years now at a very high level and always pushing the ability's of the stilts to its max.

You would think you would have knee problems but you dont because a lot of, if not all rebound energy goes into the spring. You push down like a normal jump, then jump with the spring as it pushes you up. Your knees are fine. Very much like trampoline on the go.

You will find that you muscle will feel like you just had a work out at the gym when you start off as you use all you muscles and burn a lot of energy. The muscles I notices grow a lot are you back muscles and leg muscles.

Hope that helps.

E-Mail: joe@pushyourlimits.co.uk
Latest Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3mB5yxMHjE

Offline acroair

• acroair.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 10:41:54 PM »
Hi ginger jumper ,

were about's are you ?  as i am holding a try before you buy day on the  :Cbiggrin:

17th december The North Hykeham Sports Centre , Moor Lane ,North Hykeham , Lincoln , LN6 9AX , Tel: 01522 883311.

come and try jumping stilts from 11am until 3pm all free ! yes free !!!!!

if this is any use for you , as i can answer any questions or worries you may have .

always happy to help !

contact; chris@acroair.co.uk

Offline GingerJumper

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 12:37:13 AM »
Hi ginger jumper ,

were about's are you ?  as i am holding a try before you buy day on the  :Cbiggrin:

17th december The North Hykeham Sports Centre , Moor Lane ,North Hykeham , Lincoln , LN6 9AX , Tel: 01522 883311.

come and try jumping stilts from 11am until 3pm all free ! yes free !!!!!

if this is any use for you , as i can answer any questions or worries you may have .

always happy to help !

contact; chris@acroair.co.uk

Ya thx but im in atlanga georgia in the us and ya im going to be the first to get a pair where i live but so far thanks for your opinion i think i will help
I'm sorry for any misspellings i'm most likely on my iphone and i also suck at spelling in the first place so ya sry o also if u wan add me on facebook just go to www.facebook.com/piroguy21 just send me a message saying ur frome the jumping stilt boards so i know who you r

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 12:59:13 AM »
Hi Buddy.
The safety question is one we get asked all the time when we are out. The answer is as the guys have said wear protection, wrists, knees, minimum and you will be fine.
We have a little info about safety on our website. http://www.newcpowerbockers.co.uk/bockin.html
But if your Mom wants to contact us I will answer any questions she has.
Hope it goes well for you.  :Cyes:

Growing OLD is compulsory. Growing UP is optional. OPT OUT!

Offline Bram

• the Order of the Bloodclaw
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 11:29:49 AM »
hi,

I was to eager to get on my stilts so I did before I had my protective gear, and as mrphy's law'll tell you I fell, bruised my knee pretty bad, but after 3 weeks it was fine again, now I always bock with the protective gear on and haven't had any problems since then.

my knee has healed just fine and I haven't had any problems with that knee ever since.

Offline GingerJumper

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 04:09:36 AM »
Ya i have all the pads cuz i do longboarding so i need them for that but thx i will show her the answers and i hope it helpes

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 01:41:03 PM »
 :Claugh: You mum lets you do longboarding but not bocking  :Claugh:

I have never managed to skateboard despite trying several times

Two of which ended in spectacular falls that left me in pain for days

Bocking is much safer than skateboarding for a start it is slower  :Claugh:

Offline GingerJumper

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 03:52:17 AM »
Ya it kinda dumb se lets me fly down hills at 50mph but now jump 9ft and run fast it stupid but i think that all of ur guys are hilping convinvince her

Offline GingerJumper

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 03:56:28 AM »
Y i told her bout the longboard and bocking thing and she was like its closer to the grownd i was like ya by 7 in and im sry if my imperial units mess u guys up

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 11:56:15 AM »
Just to tempt fate

I think you will find a lot more serious injurys on boards than on bocks

And touch wood so far we havn't killed anyone

Also we tend not to do it in traffic like some boarders I have seen  :Claugh:

Offline GingerJumper

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
Thank all of you i got some air trekkers extreme for xmas so i have all of thoes who helped to thank and i love to bock so now i have a spring in my step litteraly again thanks so much

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 08:02:06 PM »
So they gave in to your reasoned arguments right  :Cbiggrin:

Or was it the crying screaming and throwing yourself on the floor and holding your breath till you turned blue  :Claugh:

Well done mate see some vid soon then

Offline GingerJumper

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 10:21:36 PM »
more like the reminders every 5 min

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 12:14:46 PM »
Yep that works well too  :Claugh: