Author Topic: olympic hoof replacement: am i screwed?  (Read 3200 times)

Offline xoxos

olympic hoof replacement: am i screwed?
« on: October 15, 2011, 12:04:43 AM »

i'm replacing springs on my olympics, i thought i'd better ask before i go out on them:

the hooves seem to have been drilled a little narrower than the springs, the bolts push on the outer side of the holes going through the hooves, and it felt kind of freaky cranking the bolts back in.

you can tell the first set of springs were the same way because there were thread marks on the hooves where the bolt passes thru, from the bolts pressing outwards.

should i file/drill the holes through the springs so the bolts insert easily?

as you can see, i managed to get the bolts in, but the hoof isn't flush with the spring. this is in part because the rubber sleeve on the spring goes under the hoof - the last one was the same way, so i figure that's okay.

because it felt freaky i didn't want to crank it as hard as possible - you can see that the bolt almost looks like it's threaded wrong because it's at an angle. i'd have to crank it *really hard* (i don't have a wrench with a pressure gauge, but i have fairly strong hands and have been unscrewing things for 4 decades..) to ge tthe rightmost bolt to sit flush.

should i redrill, not worry about it, replace the nut that doesn't look straight (it doesn't look damaged), go out and jump on it some and then retighten it?? the black stuff sitting on the nuts is that bubly 3d fabric paint stuff, i figure it will help any loose nut stay on for a bit without getting lost in the grass, but will scr***e off the threads easily.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
Re: olympic hoof replacement: am i screwed?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
I have in the past drilled out the holes in a spring for similar reasons (Skip spring holes are to small to fit PJ's)

Don't know how the warrenty would stand if it caused a problem but to be honest I can't see it causing any problem if you just enlarge the hole to straighten the bolt

The other thing I would do is trim back the plastic cover to let the hoof sit flat (it will spread the load better)

But why not just swap them out for a set of the all rubber hoofs as they seem to work better and last longer

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline xoxos

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 05:29:58 AM »
??! i'm not in the u.k. and i'm skint (i'm almost more worried about buying more parts than damaging myself), but i'll keep an eye out for them. i didn't know such a thing was available.

thanks for the common sense, it's possible that it may have been alright, but taking that much force, not being flush is only going to distribute stresses less favourably. the fibreglass seems to have about the same consistency as horn, so i'm sure a needle file will do the trick.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 10:52:03 AM »
Yep since the ally hoofs had a tendancy to break up (the earlier style did not sure about the type you have) we have had all rubber hoofs

They just bolt to the end of the spring in place of the ally bit and you replace the whole lot when they wear out

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK: