Author Topic: portal boots :)  (Read 6820 times)

Offline RRparlbystumble

• i spend more time repairing, than bocking.
portal boots :)
« on: May 10, 2011, 12:09:24 PM »
anyone familier with the game portal will recognise these. watch the video and notice how similar they sound to bocks :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Paul-Self

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
    • EA Bockers
Re: portal boots :)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 12:31:54 PM »
awesome :)

Offline JCDenton

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 05:51:47 PM »
i love portal

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 06:10:06 PM »
Hmmm

They look buildable
Don't get me wrong they woudn't make you jump as high as PJ's
But might add to running speed and height in a jump

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 08:56:51 PM »
I wonder what they were inspired by!

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 09:02:58 PM »
I'm really glad you posted this Parlby it has got me thinking

Thanks

Offline JCDenton

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 07:22:53 AM »
They wouldnt be strong enough at the top joint and if you could get it strong enough they would be unstable.

Offline RRparlbystumble

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 01:56:55 PM »
no worries jason. i think these could be a possibility in the future and the principle ,altho yeah it;s only a video game they could be done it;s still same principle of attaching a spring to the calf

i think jason has got his mad scientist hat on now mwahahaha :Cnotworthy: :Claugh:

parlby

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 08:10:11 PM »
The idea is a good one but I don't think the style of spring shown would work to well

It would put to much strain on the back of the boot and the top of the spring

But the idea has set me thinking about a different spring and a complete support for the foot

Only vapour ware at the moment but when I get time you never know  :Cbiggrin:

Offline FunkyCowie

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 11:49:54 PM »
at 0:50 its clearly obvious the spring is unimportant as on impact they do not touch the ground only the characters balls of the feet, I hate poor animation.

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 05:09:16 PM »
I enjoyed that! ^_^

I was hoping to see some awesome bocking vids today, but there's nothing new since the last time I checked. =( Nothing bocking related anyway...I feel a bit Rick-Rol'ed after watching the Jumpstep video (expecting a bocker in a cow costume). =P But this was some consolation. =]

I would love to see a truely epic bocking video come out of the UK scene soon. Skaters, BMXers, and Free-runners make some amazing vids! Really professional looking. Bockers can do equally amazing things but I haven't seen many videos that take my breath away...and I can't think why this is. Maybe we're all too busy bouncing to waste time filming and editing (this is the same reason I don't have more Parkour videos). But we must know some media students who would like to do the boring part for us (and wouldn't find it boring at all because it's the thing they like doing).

Let me be clear, it's not the movements in the UK bocking vids I find uninspiring - it's the videos themselves. I remember seeing some vids from America (Vegas) and Sweden for the first time and being blown away! =D But they're not so prevalent here for some reason...despite having loads of bockers with similar talent and skill levels.

I propose a community video. =] We all film our own various parts, no more than 30 seconds each (which ensures we only use our best bits) and send them to one person to do all the editing. Someone must know a great media student. =]

I should probably make a new thread for this. I wasn't intending to write it when I began this post. It just occured to me. If anyone thinks it's a good idea feel free to start a thread about it. =] If not...don't. Lol.

Take it easy guys. =]

B.

P.s. Naz, if you're reading this, I still very much want to collect my prize from the last competition, I just don't have the extra £95 to buy Exo Pros yet. Which is what I want as soon as I can afford it. =] I hope there's no deadline. =P Thanks.
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline RRparlbystumble

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 05:58:58 PM »
@ bremden i know what you mean about those jumpstyle videos, it really p**ses me. have they not realised that this is a powerbocking forum. i know website has "jump in the name" but you'd think they;d realise by now haha :D

and hehe i just felt like posting the portal video for fun, if you went to walk for life last year, you might of seen a guy holding a cube and dressed in an orange jumpsuit his costume was inspired by the game :D

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 01:32:53 AM »
Aha. Everyone should have a companion cube! ^_^
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Dinkyfish

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 04:11:45 PM »
I could totally make a portal Halloween costume! Why didn't I think of this before???

Offline IronVinyl

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 07:18:56 PM »
I was actually at the MCM  (Manga Comics and Media) expo in London in may, there where a heck of alot of cosplayers  :Ceek:
But I did see two cosplaying as Chell (the portal protagonist) one using projumps and one using 7's, i would have done so as well if id have known that I could have got in using my Exo's.
If theres anything more important than my ego round here, i want it caught and shot now

www.doctorsteel.com    www.Toysoldiersunite.com Join us in our search for a Utopian playland

Offline RRparlbystumble

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 06:53:18 PM »
@iron 2 of  our members were there this year matt (Ecto) went as inspector gadget and ashe was using matts old poweriser pros :D

Offline IronVinyl

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 11:33:10 PM »
@iron 2 of  our members were there this year matt (Ecto) went as inspector gadget and ashe was using matts old poweriser pros :D

that explains who that was then!
If theres anything more important than my ego round here, i want it caught and shot now

www.doctorsteel.com    www.Toysoldiersunite.com Join us in our search for a Utopian playland