Author Topic: Made my own cuffs + Tutorial added!  (Read 35392 times)

Dark Knight

Re: Made my own cuffs + Tutorial added!
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2007, 05:39:59 PM »
No?
Only patent infringment, I think that one is a large fine or prison time

I'm sure someone here can tell me the exact punishment but telling people how to make them is no crime

I think unless they make this type themself ( If they do why not tell us ). then selling a cuff the just happens to be able to fit their stilts can not be a patent infringment.
After all what are " AFTER MARKET " and " CUSTOM " parts !?
The only problem you may they is demand you'd get !?

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2007, 06:15:42 PM »
Actually Dark Night, it does.
Apparently Any attatchments for the stilts fall under the patent and you have to pay royalties to boeck. This happened to a member on the "other forum" who created some custom straps for the stilts.

Dark Knight

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2007, 08:45:11 PM »
Actually Dark Night, it does.
Apparently Any attatchments for the stilts fall under the patent and you have to pay royalties to boeck. This happened to a member on the "other forum" who created some custom straps for the stilts.

Probably explains why no ones made any rubber foot that last better than the ones they make  ::)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 11:18:28 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2007, 08:51:28 PM »
Sadly Dark they do make Cuffs for the European market but due to patent probs don't sell them to England also another Guy makes them (I think he did them first )

Mine are different but not enough to get away with (2 straps instead of 1 easier to tighten ) you can see them at Capital Bocking

I've got all the patent applications for another project I have been working on and they don't realy allow small mods to existing things or you could get round any patent

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2007, 09:40:35 PM »
Mine are different but not enough to get away with (2 straps instead of 1 easier to tighten ) you can see them at Capital Bocking
Actually the "other brand" calf cuffs have 3 interlinking pieces that grip, and then a softer comfort layer under this. As you can see here

This shows the 2 thicker layers and then the 2 outer layers which interlink. Then the strap hanging down the back pulls tight around the whole set up.

So from above it looks like this

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2007, 10:35:17 PM »
Kanga man

The ally square is an easy one just go to a decent hardware store and they sell flat ally bar or ally angle the thickness is not to critical so long as it is'nt to thin

As for the nut thing you don't realy need it (and they are a pain to make) I'm a bit knock kneed so any extra gap helps but If you don't bang your knees together (I did with the hoops) just pad the nuts that stick out so they don't catch

Try to get a thin nut the square ones from gutter bolts are ideal (plumbers merchant/hardware store)

Sprog
Thanks I have been desperate to see the cuffs close up (only had fuzzy pics to go by) my cuffs are quite different now I can see yours we'll have to compare them at the london meet

« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 10:38:58 PM by Jason »

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2007, 11:14:16 PM »
Thanks I have been desperate to see the cuffs close up (only had fuzzy pics to go by) my cuffs are quite different now I can see yours we'll have to compare them at the london meet
Sounds like a plan! :)

Offline English-tailor

• Elite Member
  • Piste off MoFo's
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2007, 09:28:58 PM »
I will let you look at mine too, as I have a pair ;D. Sprog and I are in our own elite club at the moment.....

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2007, 09:39:59 PM »
This is starting to sound like I'll show you mine if you show me yours  ;) ;D
I'm starting to worry  ;D

Offline English-tailor

• Elite Member
  • Piste off MoFo's
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2007, 10:00:52 PM »
dont be afraid of our calf cuffs.....they dont bite ;D

Dark Knight

« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2007, 11:27:08 PM »
Who needs cuffs !?
I went up the road with my new pads on and my legs are so tight fitting I forgot the do the str***e at the back up  :o
Thing is I never noticed untill I got running and it started flapping about !  :o

Offline Sx Nutta

• Elite Member
  • No Brains Required
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2007, 06:22:24 PM »
Jason can I alter your design, for the culf cuff, as I have a idea, and want to test it out, will take me a month to work it all out and make it, some good equipment is needed to make it! Will post pics of it when done!!

Fire is good!
But Fire is better when you are spinning or breathing it!
Burn Scars are for life!
Chicks dig dudes with cool burn scars!

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2007, 10:27:31 PM »
Of course you can Sx
The more people put in the more we all get out, and the day I stop being open to new ideas is the day they plant me I'll look forward to the mod

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2007, 11:24:27 PM »
I've made myself a new set of cuffs and moded the original hoops (I made new ones for the last set)

While I was making this set I thought why just one set so I made 3 now as I can only use 1 set I would be willing to sell the other 2 sets on if anyone is interested

The Cuffs come without the ally barsso you would have to cut and mod your own hoops ( Takes a bit of courage to tha a saw to them )

You need a blow torch, two bits of wood/MDF and a vice ( I will explain in more detail it's not hard just complicated and you can practice on the off cuts )

Any way here are the pics

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2007, 11:26:53 PM »
And here
The top 2 are what you get and the lower 2 are how you have to modify the bars

I would be looking for £45 + p&p and they are officialy second hand but unused  ;D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 11:28:46 PM by Jason »

Offline Sx Nutta

• Elite Member
  • No Brains Required
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2007, 07:54:37 PM »
Jason, can you give the dimensions on a drawing of all metal parts, so I can see what size i am looking for, when it comes to bars, and nuts!! I will be showing pics and making a little tutorial on how my ones have been made, still working on the intial design, or what I want to mod on them, and what I can add, I have a few good ideas!!  ;)

Fire is good!
Burn Scars are for life!

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2007, 08:08:15 PM »
All the sizes you need are above the first pic of the tutorial (bottom of first page this thread)
The bars are the ones that came with my PJ's I just cut them into 3 bits (it takes a lot of courage  ;))
They are 20mm dia and about 2mm wall thickness if you can find it everyone in England seems to sell 3/4" I made my first set of 3/4" but had to make spacers

The 3/4" tube was about £20 a length but you need a tube bender 20mm was available but was £40 a length (enough for 2 sets) so it would be easier to buy a set of PJ bars for £30 and not have to bend them

Offline Sx Nutta

• Elite Member
  • No Brains Required
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2007, 08:26:10 PM »
I am going to scout around for tubing, I know a few good places to get it cheap, uni being one of them!!

Fire is good!
Burn Scars are for life!

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2007, 08:53:20 PM »
Make sure you get the right stuff mate you don't want pure aluminium it is so soft it's useless
you need an aluminium alloy like dural or similar that can bend without fracturing and anneals well for flattening the ends
Don't go for cheep over quality as if one of the bars snaps off as you land it could hurt a lot

Offline Sx Nutta

• Elite Member
  • No Brains Required
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2007, 09:33:01 PM »
have dural at uni!!

Fire is good!
Burn Scars are for life!

Offline Leprickkon

« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2009, 03:23:12 PM »
ohh, I hope that I can make a pair of these soon. They look awesome. And comfy.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2009, 09:49:13 PM »
They are very comfy and easy to make Leprickkon

So get sewing  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Leprickkon

« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2011, 07:04:37 AM »
Due to some unfortunate events, I was unable to post before today. Life seemed to have taken so many different turns, and I had not bocked for over eight months.
Inspiration struck in a unique way, and I began to walk once more, taller than most everyone I know. The bar, however, irratated me to no end, always rubbing my shin raw and finally, I had enough.
I remembered a certian genuis, whom I will not mention, (Jason) and his fabulous design for cuffs.
This week I used the tutorial he had so graciously provided, and I now have my own 'cuffies'.
The parts list was fairly complicated, since we dummies in the US prefer the standard system to the metric system. I had a devil of a time converting metrics into inches before I tossed out that idea and just found a meter stick.
The entire project came together at about $50 USD and that's including the gas for the trips to the hardware store.
Jason's odd nut was easy to replicate by using a shimmed 'tree nut'; used for furniture appearantly.
I constructed my cuffs as identical to his as I could, but due to some natural free-handed mistakes, I had to make a few adjustments, but that is for a later post.
First and foremost: Comfort. These cuffs are unbelievably secure, while still retaining an incredible about of pliance, and wonderous comfort.  The fleece makes it possible to be worn without cloth padding to guard against the unfortunate skin-wearing.
Second: Safety. I feel in controll, my leg moves and responds instantly. The stilt foot lands exactly where it's meant to go.
Third: Cool factor. The color of all the material is straight black. More of a personal preference on this one.
I'll upload pictures soon.
and fourth: Cost. At around fifty dollars to make, they are extrodinarily low cost for the quality. I paid a quarter of the price to make my own, and I feel satisfied with the end result.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 07:19:52 AM by Leprickkon »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
Well done Leprickkon

I would love to see some pics mate and like the idea of the Tree Nut I've not seen one of those (unless I know it under another name)

They are very comfy and secure arn't they  :Cbiggrin:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline JCDenton

« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2011, 02:14:58 PM »
Why not buy calf cuffs for £25? Im i missing something here?