Author Topic: stupid mistake  (Read 7468 times)

Offline Mibsportler

stupid mistake
« on: April 13, 2011, 02:00:38 PM »
hey guys

i v made a stupid mistake - i glued the bushings in so they r not so loose anymore and it went perfectly fine for the lower two joints (thx jason for the tip) :Cnotworthy:
BUT i also did it for the top hinge cos i thought they r working the same way - but they don't - which means I v now glued in 2 bushings whereas they shud not be glued in  :Cerr:

tried to get them loose again but too late - stuck in there  :Cwideeyed:

i already sent naz a pm to send me 2 bushings + the middle round tube part of the joint so that i can go back bocking - but she hasn't responded yet so I assume she is on holiday  :Cchatterbox:

can anyone of u guys help??? anyone has a spare tube for the top joint (top of spring joins top metal frame) + 2 bushings for exo pros???

if so I wud really really appreciate it if I can buy them off u - as I want to back during my holidays instead of just looking at and worshipping them  :Ccry:

thx

Bernhard

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
Re: stupid mistake
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 07:36:51 PM »
Just to get this straight mate

You glued the bushes into the frames (that is not a problem) but you have also glued the metal tube to the bushes (the one in the middle)

If this is right I can suggest a way that might get the tube out and free

If you can find two bits of tube one that the metal tube will pass through and another the same size or very slightly smaller than the tube

This will enable you to drift the tube out (difficult to explain but I will try)

The idea is that you support the bush from underneath with the bigger tube and put it on something solid like a vice
You then put the smaller tube on the other side and tp it with a hammer this will force the tube out throught the bearing and into the larger tube

The surface of the metal tube is shiny and the inside of the bearing is almost glue resistant so the two should seperate fairly easily

Hope this helps mate

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 03:24:27 PM »
The surface of the metal tube is shiny and the inside of the bearing is almost glue resistant so the two should seperate fairly easily

FAIRLY EASY??? i hammered for over 10 min to get one out :Claugh:
 :Claugh:

i cracked it all the way and single pieces were still stuck (maybe i shud not v cleaned it with aceton and then sanded it to hold  better  :Ctwitcy: )

but i got it out - thx - but the round tube thingie is also not that round anymore and there r scr***es in the tube now

i hope naz can get me a spare piece

again thx to mighty jason who helped me get a trouble sorted  :Cnotworthy:

maybe we can meet someday and I can pay u drink and u explain a bit more about stilt thingies (how to maintain them, how to repair things) as sooner than later I will be back in my home country and then on my own (and sending spare parts will be hugely expensive)

cu

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 08:21:18 PM »
Ooops that would cause you problems mate  :Cbiggrin:

I'm a little confused though as the Exo's and Exo pro's don't have a tube in the top bearing (or any of the bearings for that case) had to look at mine to check
I asume you mean the one behind your knee

So do you mean the allen headed bit with a thread inside that the small allen headed bolt screws into
If so PJ do a maitenance kit that has 2 long and 2 short bolt/tube things and the bolts to fit them and a few bushes oh and a set of the figgure 8 washers

Think Naz might be unavailable for a couple of days so give PJ a shout and they should be able to send one out for a price  :Cbiggrin:

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 08:59:05 PM »
aehem - mine do v an aluminium tube (round thingie where the bolt goes through) where i glued the bushings in (behind my knee - top of spring)
hope that makes sense - sry lol  :Claugh:

and I just see and wait what naz says cos if u do not understand me how on earth r the projump guys going to understand me on the phone - i hate phoning lol

hmmm - clueless what to do now lol - i WANT BOCKING grrrr  :Cswoon:

well - i so will get a spare exo pro's before I go home - as a part exchange thingie - as always ordering things will be quite costly

Offline Chrishead

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 09:22:32 PM »
If you get some good images and point out the part you mean or even upload a video with the highest quality you can then it would make it easier for people like jason to give amazing advice :D
For Sale: Paracute, Used once, Never opened, Small stain.

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 08:41:52 AM »
have never managed to get a pic up here but will try again.

if it works - i v pointed with the finger on the thing in the stilt and in the other hand i hold the damaged one from the other stilt.

cheers

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 08:13:30 PM »
Reduce the pic so it is no more that 1000 pixels wide and it should work mate

Right I know the tube you mean mate it is a spacer to stop the frames crushing

Bad news is that it doesn't need to move so if that is why you took it out oops

The only bit that needs to move is the bolt through the middle the spacer stays still as do the bushes

How bad is the damage to the spacer because it might be usable if the inside is still ok

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 09:17:42 PM »
pic was only 46 kb but i do it somehow wrong lol

i figured it out as soon as I wanted to put it back in - that only the scre need to move - well it is dented and scratched inside which means bushings will get damaged more easily - i probably shud be able to smooth it out but i don't really vthe tools for it - so i figured it is cheaper to order a new one via naz (she says it might be possible - "it's not a thing that usually gets damaged" she told me - well she hasn't met me yet  :Claugh:)

thx a lot jason - am atm making a new tyre "armour" fashion - if it works out i will send u one as a thx  :Cnotworthy:

cu

Offline bendover90

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 10:08:30 PM »
kinda serves you right.

i would never go anywere near my stilts with glue

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 12:05:11 AM »
well - just trying to fix to rattle  :Cfrown: was really  really wobbly

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 12:09:07 AM »
and u know what they say - u best learn from mistakes (never gonna make that one again  :Ctwitcy: - i learnt a lot the last couple of weeks about my bocks - after putting them apart and together loads of times  :Claugh:

my opinion is u shud know the device u trust ur life with - I always did that with my sports stuff - no matter climbing, biking, skiing, snowboarding - if u can't fix ur stuff u don't know enough and then u might be really in a fix which might even cost ur life :Cbiggrin:
like one time I forgot to hook my rope right to my side when I was free climbing - so I was stuck in the middle of a rock - and lost the rope just when I wanted to abseil myself - had to wait for some other fellows to come and help me out  :Claugh:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 08:20:27 PM »
Only way to learn mate

If I had taken Bens advice there I would never have made my own walking foot stilts or made

Hoofies (Mk 1,2 and 3), Cuffies, My own bearings,  and I wouldn't be the only person on earth to own a set of Exo/Skip hybrids  :Claugh:

Nothing wrong with gluing your bearings in if you get it right it will extend the life of them a lot

So keep up the good work mate and you are right you should know how your bocks work

I have seen so many people let the maintenance go until the bocks are dangerous and them moan about them breaking as if the manufacturer was at fault

Jason  :Hoofies2: :Cfrown:

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 08:26:49 PM »
thx jason

i might modify my new exos as well - as somehow with the new quick release I bend all my bars  :Crealmad:

just bought and got powerisers - they look sturdier ( the bars r made of harder aluminium or so) and I might even exchange the quick release with the old system - quick release still not working properly for me  :Crealmad:

i don't know how to upload photos - i tried with the pic insert button and filled in location but it won't work - otherwise I wud v shown u pictures of my bent bars (really really odd!!!)

naz is saying I shud try some other bars out - so I tried my old ones - guess what - after 3 hours of walking/jogging/jumping - BENT hahhaha

so my next try is powerisers modification  :Claugh:

and i normally dismante all my bocks - now 3  :Cbiggrin: every 4 months and put them back togehter (spray a bit where it squeakes and so)

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 08:27:51 PM »
oh, i forgot to say - I so want to see your moving footplates - that sounds awesome and wud be just the thing for my jogging  :Cyes:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 09:05:24 PM »
The bent bars are a strange one mate

I weighed 19st at one point and could bottom a set of 120kg stilts at will
I am also 6 ft 4" ish so have the bars well out giving lots of leverage

The only time I have bent a bar is when I fell very hard so there must be a problem somewhere but dashed if I can think of a reason for you to bend them
Do you have excess pressure on one side of your leg when you jump as this could cause it if your cuffs were far enough to one side but I would have thought the pain would have stopped you bocking before you bent the bar

I looked into Powerisers at one point and the first model was very good but I was put off the latest model by many people talking of early failures due to the new bearing design but the ally bar clamps are meant to be good

Have a look here

http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=5759.0

The first set are Exo/Skip hybrids but I machined the walking feet myself (copys of the skip ones)
The second set (lower down) are my own design walking foot fitted to a set of early Exo Pro's

Very pleased with the latest ones

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 09:29:34 PM »
lol - i weighed 66 kg  :Cwink: full of powered muscles  :Crolleyes: ( i wish lol)

well - i vn't seen it before myself but today i tried my old bars from pj's and it was the same after 5 hours of running/jumping/walking - well not as much but they started to bend.
well those poweriser bar holders look really sturdy - completely made of metal. so i thought i wud put them on - fail - as the bolts r different - 2 in the middle (powerisers) whereas exo pro's 4 to the side - so wud need to drill new holes - no prob if i were at home  :Crealmad: but i am not so don't v the stuff.
well - than I thought dismantle my old pj's and put that on as I assumed it wud v the same holes - I was right  :Cyes: BUT they old ones were just stanced in with no screws  :Cswoon: :Cnah: EPIC FAIL there grrr

so i might ask naz if she cud send me sth like the ordinary exo's which don't v quick release ( not want to see that anymore  :Cno:) though, my friend, who I bought some exo pro's has no probs at all with quick release and he weighs 115kg!!!

weird

i v seen those brilliant pics before as I did some indepth looking into this website with modifications  :Cbiggrin:
but don't v enough spare stilts to try that yet  :Ccry:
I want to save mine to create a bocking group when I am back home (to give some other guys a go before the buy) - v 3 now  :Claugh: and might buy another exo's pros before I return home (but WITHOUT quick release - just in case  :Ctongue: :Ctongue:)
and maybe some second hand small ones for kids - v 50-70 kg powerisers now and 80pj and 80 pro's - if i can lay my hand on some cheap ones  :Claugh:

but i will deffo want to build sth like that (moving footplate) - so pls let me know when u r going to a meet or v some time off as I am willing to drive to london to get some bits of knowledge from such a vast experience "bocker MODIFIER"  :Cnotworthy: :Claugh:

cu

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 12:05:50 PM »
Think I'm with you now

You mean that the bars rotate in the clamps and end up to one side or the other

I thought you meant you were bending the bars themselves  :Claugh: that takes some doing (like 19 stone at 20 mph from 5 ft  :Cbiggrin: )

The only advice I can give is you really have to wind the clamp down hard to keep them still
We used to have the same problem with the plastic brackets but they would hold if you were brutal

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 09:58:17 PM »
 :Claugh: :Claugh: :Claugh: :Claugh: :Claugh:

sry Jason to disappoint u  :Claugh:

first they move sometimes - no matter how hard u fasten them - and i am only 66 kg (not even 11 stones) - and well - 19 stones 20 mph from 5 feet it is then - cos i bent the bars and not one of them but both pairs and even my old ones when I tried out if it is the bars which were rubbish or not

so either I can't measure myself  :Claugh: or I do things even worse than ur calculated maths

so fifth time on them now and was bocking with sky high - k-rock and aidan - and aidan who saw me first time said that is f.... bizarre lol
well - it is also interesting that with my weight i can easily bottom them out already AND when i got on their stilts 98 and 101 after 2 minutes I cud compress them quite okayish - which shud be not really easily done with my weight  :Claugh:

so acutally i am still in the same predicament and even those two who v helped creating the new exos r baffled and try best to help me get my bocks sorted but they just r as clueless as i am ( rattling although i glued the bushings in - well ripped one out again  :Claugh: due to my mistake), bars rotating and bars bending

aidan came up with another 2 theories for bending bars:

1. as i am not massively built my bars r quite close together but I bring so huge amount of pressure on them when I land from bottoming out that i can shift them

2. as with the new exo pro's the clamp is lower than with the old pj's which means there r standing out higher over the clamp which again means it is easier to bend with the kind of pressure I am putting on them

again it  is not technique because aidan tested me again and I am walking/jumping straight lol

so if u still know sth or whatever I am more than happy to listen and try out - and like i said - i wud even travel down to let u v a look at them and if that means they wud be fixed I wud be so happy cos I was/am considering to buying another pair next month cos I really luv the new springs but if the frame is not holding me than I don't know  :Cwideeyed:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
Ok so lets get this straight  :Claugh: no pun intended mate

You are bending the ally bars that hold the cuffs to the clamps

Which direction are they bending in ( taking the toes as the front)

We need a video of you bouncing and some pics of the damage

Now putting pics up
Take picture  :Claugh: yes I know your not that simple mate
Make sure it is no bigger that 1000 pixels in any direction (any good program like PSP should do this)
Click the "Additional Options" under the posting bit
Click the "Browse" button and then navigate to the folder where your pic is and click on it

You should now have a pic on here

Same thing with vids

To bend the bars you must be putting a lot of pressure on them so we need to find out how

I wouldn't say I am an extreme bocker but I can bottom any set of stilts in any weight on the market today and weight nearly twice as much as you and would have trouble bending the bars except in a fall

The only thing I can think of at the moment is if you have your cuffs adjusted so your legs are to far forward and the bars are bending forward due to the presure each time you land

This would be easy to fix and you would look like you were walking normaly from the back but the only way I could tell is with a video taken from the side

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 08:39:15 PM »
lol thx - no prob

ok, next time i will ask k-rock or nero to video me

and interestingly i am straight in (my calf is in one line) but i am bending the bars outwards so left outwards and right outwards

pics of the damage will be up tomorrow lol

and had no fall YET lol (so probably trying not hard enough  :Ctongue:)

thx

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 10:44:13 AM »
1 thing done - the rattle is gone THX 2 NAZ - luv her - she sent me new bushings and i installed them and put some extra washers on them as well and now no rattle  :Cbiggrin: so off to bocking to try it out as soon as I v cleaned up my flat - so probably next couple of days  :Claugh:

am trying to get a vid jason but not as easy as I v no cam except laptop but will try latest on sunday :Cnotworthy:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 07:36:32 PM »
Glad the rattle has gone mate well done

No rush on the vid

How you are bending them is a mystery to me never seen that one before