Author Topic: suggestions for costume matierials please  (Read 2880 times)

Offline billymaya

suggestions for costume matierials please
« on: April 07, 2011, 11:09:39 PM »
hi guys right the carnival season is fast approaching and after seeing some you tube videos of tree men on stilts me and my step son have decided that it would be a great idea for this year, thing is i need to find some matierial that i could use for the trunks/legs of the tree/green man costume it would have to be reasonably cost effective i was looking at those foam camping mats and thought this might be a good matierial to use that and lots of those plastic vines has anyone got any suggestions of what stuff i can use? please dont suggest going to the local woods and cutting some branches down lol

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
Re: suggestions for costume matierials please
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 08:23:27 PM »
My Dragon was made from a foam sheet that they use as mats for stables

It is very light and cuts easily with a very sharp knife but resists tearing well (very much like camping mats) costs about £25 for a 6ft x 4ft sheet but only found it at a feed supplier/tack shop

One thing to be aware of is it is a very good insulator and you will sweat well under it (I end up soaked after an hour in the dragon and that is at night)

Just an off the wall idea that would work for a one night type suit

Have you seen that stuff (think it's called bind weed) that sticks to your clothes and grows wild in run down gardens and wasteland (kids call it sticky plant or something )
If you could find enough of it it would turn you green and planty  :Claugh: and it sticks to anything

Other thought is those cheap tarpaulins that come from machine mart or the like
They do a camo one

Failing all that a cheap camo boiler suit (paintball type) with a quick trip to the ex-army shop for some leaf netting

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline billymaya

Re: suggestions for costume matierials please
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 08:41:33 PM »
hi jason thanks for the suggestions sticky grass lol i never thought of that good idea ill def have to add that to my list.good point out the heat thing as well i didnt think about that i figured the foam would be easy to use and manipulate cheapest i can find on ebay is 3.99 with a fiver max postage so that be 37 odd quid which isnt o bad for two costumes possibley