Author Topic: Being Attacked In Paper  (Read 6303 times)

Offline bendover90

Being Attacked In Paper
« on: March 04, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
Check This Out Guys.

I have recently come under fire from a resident of Bretton for being an "accident waiting to happen" on my stilts.

apparently i can now Backflip and i cover 18ft when i do :)

I CANNOT BACKFLIP :)

Read the Link and youll see what i mean.

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/letters-and-emails/an_accident_waiting_to_happen_1_2468151

thoughts please guys.

if this comes to conflict i will do my best to keep our good reputation round peterborough :)

PEACE!

Offline carlgreen

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for backFLEEP!
Re: Being Attacked In Paper
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 10:43:53 AM »
Nip it in the bud, contact them and give them your side, tell them your not "performing" you are just out having fun not busking for money or anything, this sorta thing could ruin bocking especially as last time i came up peterborough was a nice place to bock.

Offline Paul-Self

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 11:26:53 AM »
yeh deffinatly get this nipped in the bud - tell them about how many people do the sport in the uk and that how touch wood theirs has been very few serious injuries.

Offline spawnyb

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 11:39:18 AM »
I completely agree with Carl.

Send them a nice polite friendly letter, thanking them for their concern.

You can then explain a bit better what you do (eg only travel about 6 feet when you flip), and how careful you always are to make sure no one is in the area.

You could even say that in future you will try to ensure that you only do flips away from the main pedestrian places and in more open areas.   

Hmmmmmmm........Why did I buy these again?!?!?!?

Offline Hilly-of-the-Marshes

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 11:47:15 AM »
This is rediculous - "maiming or killing someone" - I mean christ! I'm taking it that you weren't running after schoolchildren with blades on your springs, kicking wildly. "Lethal stilts" - "who in God's name is allowing this to happen" - I am genuinely outraged at whoever wrote this stuff

I agree that a polite email/letter is the way to go, it's better for everyone, but just personally, this has really got me riled at those who would deny us our right to bock

Offline spawnyb

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 12:08:11 PM »
Perhaps instead of Projup Exos, we should have called the new stilts "Pro-Jump Death" or "Pro-Jump Decapitators".

Hmmmmmmm........Why did I buy these again?!?!?!?

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 12:23:25 PM »
From experience most of us know (unfortunately) know that bocking in towns ect can aggravate some people, quite often for safety reasons and PLI. I doubt you are being particularly dangerous but for those who don't know it is easy to come across that way. I don't know P'bro or the areas in which you bock but if there are quiet areas you can stick to and if you can have somebody with you to keep an eye out it would probably help you to keep up a safe image.

I think what sprawnb said was spot on too!

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 12:59:01 PM »
To give the young man credit he was amusing to watch and seemed talented – but at what cost! The irony is that if you drop the tiniest piece of paper or cigarette end, within seconds there is someone pouncing on you and giving you a fine, if you are seen to cycle on Bridge Street you are stopped by police or PCSO, yet killing or maiming someone on these lethal stilts does not even prompt council officials to bat an eyelid

I would point out that it has cost the tax payer or the council nothing and that bocking has been widely taken up in the uk for 5 years now.

I'd also point out that you have never killed or maimed anyone and suggesting such a thing is slanderous lol

(try not to mention that you kicked someone while flipping the other day ben)

Did these people come and talk to you at the time?

Offline bendover90

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 01:23:40 PM »
no mate, i was recoridng though tthat day, so imma watch the footage back and actully see if i was clsoe to hitting anyone, ID LIKE TO POINT OUT I PICKED A OUT OF THE WAY SPOT AS I WAS NOT 100% CONFORTABLE WIHT FLIPPING AT THE TIME!!!!!

Im also goign to go inot the Council Builidng On my way home and speak to the lady i have permissision form :)

PEACE

and yes guys ill sned them a nice "friendly" email later tonight :)

Offline Birt

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 02:13:11 PM »
haha, it's freightening he actually believe's what he writes but on the other hand it's also quite funny. i hope he didn't have to cross any streets on his way there, cars are really just accidents waiting to happen!

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 03:52:04 PM »
I think a few reasonable comments on the matter on the papers site may give the positive side of bocking to them

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 04:17:09 PM »
orry to here this Ben  ( and as you know there is a new issue in Pompy we have to deal with down here grr)

But as peeps say, this does need some gentle 'nipping in the bud'.

maybe 1st the immediate facts. a/ you were in a pedestrian zone b/ had (as you seem to indicate) prior council consent.c/  You cant actually back flip and was doing front flips...which by definition means you can ,initially, see what is in front of you. d/ not even the very best people in the world at this sport and with a great big run up have managed a jump of 18 feet..to try an do so would need some preparation and would not be a 'spur of the moment jump'.

Then go wider and state this sport is enjoyed in urban enviroments all over this country for the lst 5 years. Additionally , in a number of places formal 'risk assesments' have been made....and the stilts have never failed.

More like that

Then , this is a fun and healthy sport...and many people in this country need to get more fit and active.  And you hope this will be publically supported by the council.

Un good luck

Offline XS

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 05:58:47 PM »
Same to see such a negative portrayal of our sport.  I agree with everyone above that this needs to be dealt with quickly before it causes bigger problems, but pick your battles carefully.  You are very adamant that you were doing front flips not back flips, in the bigger picture it makes no difference, don't cause a fuss over semantics, refute the real problems.  Don't send a "friendly" email, send a genuinely friendly email showing your concern for their negative experience. They seemed to think you were performing, for money/promotions/whatever.  You need to make sure they understand you're just a guy out having fun like kids playing football.  Avoid comparisons with skateboarding is it has negative connotations in this context, and I'd avoid a comparison to parkour as it just introduces another possible unknown.  Kids playing football need a field, bockers need an urban landscape its the nature of the sport.  I'd also point out that despite they're apparent concern for the safety of those around them, they didn't just walk up to you and express their concerns directly so you could explain that your not performing and you are carefully watching out for your surroundings. 

Again pick your battles carefully, argue things that are important to the cause of keeping bocking safe and enjoyable bockers and those that watch us, and not that you were doing fronts not backs, in the eyes of a layman it makes no difference.

Offline xoxos

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 06:09:57 PM »
whenever a conflict is brought into the public arena petty things become important, eg. appearance, demeanour, spelling and grammar.. so don't get hot headed when you go in. best is to be in the happiest mood you can muster.

you're the nicest person in the world, and bocking is a contemporary and cosmopolitan activity that takes serious investment (monetary and temporal) to participate in.

it's the same story i see every day - people with no good business of their own to mind will attempt to mind other peoples' business. but don't point that out :)

Offline bendover90

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 07:22:06 PM »
ok guys so ive just shipped an email off to the council.

outlinging the following.

were aware of the risks (concenr was shown i have no helmet)
we try to avoid conflict were possible and mean no harm
we make no moeny out of our acttivitys
i try to keep myself away from the main areas (to avoid people)
i help the council, i clear litter where i bock
i cost nothing (LOCKY)  :Cnotworthy:
the likley hood of landing on someone is slim
we train and are good at what we do
we do not do anything outside our confort zone/dangerous in the public eye
and we obey all rules

to be honest ive not been contacted about this by the council so i doubt they even knwo about this so ill keep you updated

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 08:36:26 PM »
Ben sorry to hear about this mate

A word of caution here to you

Although I agree in principal that the person that wrote this is an attention seeking scaremonger that just wants to be seen to be righteous and in the mean time ruin any fun that other people might want to have (yes I don't like him either  :Claugh:)

Be aware that you are likely to be on a hiding to nowhere if you start a fight with that sort of person

Firstly despite our excelent safety record so far there have been a few serious accidents the most recent one the worse by far (the guy who flipped the car)

What we do does look very dangerous (lets be honest that is half the attraction)

If you rise to the bait you will be faced with the age old beating stick of hurting little children

To give you an instance
A driver is in an accident and kills a kid
He was under the speed limit and paying attention
The kid was out of control and ran in front of the car

Is the result of this that the kid was at fault
No the speed limit is dropped to 10 mph speed humps are added and the driver is told to watch out for kids

This is what you will face as the loudest voices in the press are the type that believe that if you havn't had kids you can't possibly know anything

So my advice would be to watch and see if this just dies a natural death as it is a rather small insignificant paper and just in the opinion type column
Fighting back in any way may well cause it to become front page news

On the other hand the best way to really pi** the guy off is to ignore him and continue bocking at the same spot (and not having accidents)

There is nothing better for that sort as they then feel like there voice is not being heard  :Claugh:

Sorry this is so long but I really don't want to see you in the press being hammered

On the subject of flipping I think that an unwritten rule of at least one other person to spot in a public place is a good idea (unless the place is totaly deserted of course)

Jason  :Hoofies2: :Cfrown:

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 09:47:55 PM »
I actually agree with jason (and xs) about this.

Dont start an arguement, done even dispute the "facts" he has printed.

If anything I would address the fact that his greatly misguided opinion is causing damage to grassroot sports of the modern era.
You could have been out selling drugs,
You could have been out stealing crap from people.

But you were not, you were in fact taking part in an activity that is enjoyable for both the particpants and those watching and is good for the health and you were also displaying a sensible and safe attitude (looking out for people, getting consent from council etc).

Invite him to capital bocking so he can argue his point there.

Offline bendover90

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 10:01:26 PM »
GUYS IVE ALREADY SENT AN EMAIL TO THE COUNCIL not starting a fightm just that facts.

jason your spot on mate but i wanted to be sure i have contacts in the council anyways so ill be ok :)

Offline olieviling

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 01:37:50 AM »
Tricky one

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 01:45:43 PM »
Well done Ben

Probably the best way to go as the council have the last say on most things

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK: