Author Topic: no manual olympic/exos calf cuff setup  (Read 9091 times)

Offline xoxos

no manual olympic/exos calf cuff setup
« on: February 03, 2011, 11:00:35 PM »
i've just rec'd a pair of cz-a m90s with no manual. oc stateside i may be the first person in my state with a pair of bocks, i'm trying to figure out how to set the calf cuffs up.

and guessing the united states cz-a olympic is the same as the exos..

so: calf cuff. one side is 'flat' the other bows out. i'm guessing the bow goes up, and the velcro fur goes on the outside of the knee??

i know i'm gonig to be fiddling w them for 45 minutes trying to figure out how they're supposed to be, watching blurry videos et c. so hopefully someone will answer before i grow old.

atb and thanks,

oh - my springs have black rubber sleeves, which i guess is kind of cool, though i'm wondering if it may be a good idea to strip them and use inner tubes i can tie on, that way i can check to see if the springs fracture, or are they "pretty good nowadays.." :p

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
Re: no manual olympic/exos calf cuff setup
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 11:20:37 PM »
I'm not sure what you are referring to saying one bows out and one side is flat. The bars, the strap, what?

pic please :)

Offline xoxos

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 11:52:56 PM »
will elab latr - think i may have a clarer picture soon.. currenl=tly immobile :)

Offline XDvandalDJ

• XD
    • XD Bockers
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 11:59:37 PM »
What state are you in? I know most the bockers that post online in the states. I'm sure theres someone near you.

Also these are in fact the same as the olympics. Though the Exos have better hardware as the improved them before releasing them in the uk.
Leader of the

Offline xoxos

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 12:54:26 AM »

southern arizona. i'm thinking some parts of the desert (eg. not ground squirrel holes) are going to work for them.

it looks like people are generally fitting it as to whatever works best.. this is the left cuff, the rings on the 'motorcycle helmet fastener' are on the outside. they work well to keep it tight but there's not a lot of room.. it took me 10+ minutes to loosen them to take them off. also *** cold here today so loads of clothes.

prolly best if i give myself a week's moratorium on posting and try and answer q's myself..

Offline XDvandalDJ

• XD
    • XD Bockers
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 06:15:19 AM »
You're probably right about being one of the first. I have a vague memory of a guy posting once about being from there about a year and a half ago. But I may be confusing what state he said he was from.

Anyways, you should do what I did and get some friends into the sport. It's the only real way you'll get more bockers. Just let some friends try yours out and you'll be off.

As for your set up, I've never actually used that accessory. I had knee bars in 2008 when I first started bocking. But those were on skyrunners and I upgraded to poweriser advanced after they broke. So I've been a cuff user ever since and won't go back.

But judging by your picture it looks like you have it set up right.
Leader of the

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 08:37:09 PM »
The manual wouldn't help you here mate as they are not what we would call Calf Cuffs

I have seen these things before and they are a good idea but the cuffs supplied with UK Exo's are very different as here

http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2643.0

As you can see they are very different

The old manual is here
http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3621.0

I can't find the new one at the mo (Brain fade)

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline bendover90

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 09:57:10 PM »
i dont know what im looking at here tbh, i thoguh they were exo.s

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 10:56:16 PM »
I have the new manual online for the exo's but you have standard issue knee bars there with the knee bar cuff mod. Those are not for sale in the uk so wont be on any manual here sorry buddy.

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 10:43:59 PM »
We have these in stock but they arent on the site.

The manufacture has made them so they are one sided (they used to be pairs but now they are not) you have to have one with the flap side at the top and the other one with the flat side on the bottom. The velcro is on the outside like you have it on the pic.

This is only suitable with users with thinner calfs and helps to fill the gap, they provide a lot more comfort to the user that when using the knee bars on their own.

Offline xoxos

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 12:31:31 AM »
thx for the manual :D

for other refs, i bought my cz-a's from ebay for $299, some place in bend, oregon, a different addy and ph.# from air-trekkers.com, who have some negative press online. i don't know how valid that negative press is.

though there's no manual and only one wristguard (it came with elbow and knee guards) the stilts appear to be in good shape, nothing has cracked on me. the left one squeaked a bit at first, not an issue.

it's been extremely cold here since they arrived, so i haven't got further than walking yet.

you're right about the 'thin calfs' part.. no solution for me there yet.

thanks for insight, all :)

Offline xoxos

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 04:23:31 AM »
awright, took them off and put them on a half dozen more times and the cinches are easier to undo now.

any hints for alignment? a line from my left hoof to my left knee passes straight through my foot, but on the right foot, the hoof is a little more inside. i switched the knee bars, adjusted the pads and straps.. it's better, tho now i'm wondering if my right leg isn't as straight :p the bock doesn't seem out of alignment.

any sneaky things to adjust like this? i'm pushing the right support in a little extra to tilt the knee hoop..

i've never seen a bock before in my life. nice gear, though i'm gonig ot have to come up with a way of making my heel sit in one place as the back of the stirrup is completely flat. i wish it had a slight curve or v to it to make my shoe sit in there.

Offline XDvandalDJ

• XD
    • XD Bockers
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 04:59:10 AM »
I had an issue on my heel slipping with the demo pair I reviewed too.  I haven't heard the EXO users complain about the problem.

The solution one guy used was to bend the back piece in.

But thats some crazy modding and I'd be hesitant to do it myself.

The heel slipping problem is one of the big factors for me not jumping from poweriser. I'm still thinking of going for some cz now that they got a price drop. But only if I can fix that problem.

Leader of the

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 02:38:09 PM »
We got the manufacturer to bend this part in for us so our users would not have this issue. On testing we found that it was the actual footwear worn which caused the heal problems including slipping and discomfort.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 08:02:55 PM »
I used hammer and lump of wood technology to adjust mine in on the first test pair

Just don't go to mad as you only want to bend it in not out again if you overdo it

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline XDvandalDJ

• XD
    • XD Bockers
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 10:39:18 PM »
We got the manufacturer to bend this part in for us so our users would not have this issue. On testing we found that it was the actual footwear worn which caused the heal problems including slipping and discomfort.

Really? Because I tried two different shoes. Some running shoes, and some big hiking shoes. Both have grip at the sole.

Leader of the

Offline xoxos

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 11:39:27 PM »
so far i've been strapping my heel in toward the inside corner. i guess my right leg isn't as straight, so my right heel still tended to slip towards the outer corner. i stuck a rolled up leather glove in there which effectively stopped my heel from sliding over :)

when i can afford some materials and have an idea about it, i'll make a form out of something to hold my foot in the center.

Offline XDvandalDJ

• XD
    • XD Bockers
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 11:43:38 PM »
Eh I'm just going to go ahead and buy my own pair. With the last price drop it's not to much. So modding it isn't absurd.

Previously at it's original price I thought it was to much for the flaws it had with the bindings and hardware. But since the bindings have changed, and the hooves are different. I'll just buy a pair and mod the heel section myself.

I did always get about a few more inches of air out of them.
Leader of the

Offline xoxos

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 11:23:54 PM »
as per my previous note, re: shoving something in the side to keep your foot to one side, pick something that lays flat and tie it to the footrest (or, i'm thinking, use some leather ties in addition to the foot strap). i had a rolled up leather glove in mine and it nudged the strap loose when i was jogging.

Offline xoxos

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 02:31:28 AM »
this may not make a diff to you since you're in better shape than i.

this is the first model i've used, and i understand they're a few inches taller than the standards. there's no way i can stand up on flat ground with these. it's either crawl or take them off. if i go for a run, i'd have to take a walking stick or something. i'll try again when my knees are stronger.

Offline xoxos

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 03:10:10 AM »
update on this.. i think i may have finally got my right heel to sit in the middle of my foot, by cutting a few inches of the foam off the knee bar and padding it all on the left side. i guess my right leg simply isn't straight, because no matter how i strapped it in, the heel was always on the inside of my foot, and it didn't feel good for running, like my leg was going to buckle out (and i kept faceplanting when i'd run).

not sure if i said above.. i overspecced my springs, i weigh 180lbs and got 90s which are rated ~199 and up. had them for about a month and a half now, probably put in 20-30 hours (not vigorous) and only beginning to get springy jumps that propel me into the air. taking the slow and sure path (i had to take time off because one knee was freaking out, feels better now, just wore them for ~2 1/2 hours w no stress.)

def. found at first bunny hops were harder because the springs were so stiff that unless both feet landed at exactly the right time, it wasn't good. now i don't have to get it quite so right. i'd recommend getting the "right" spring weight if you can afford a 2nd pair of springs in the next 6 months, year. i'm not sure i'll be able to so i have to be satisfied w wearing them in.

Offline XDvandalDJ

• XD
    • XD Bockers
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 03:21:35 AM »
update on this.. i think i may have finally got my right heel to sit in the middle of my foot, by cutting a few inches of the foam off the knee bar and padding it all on the left side. i guess my right leg simply isn't straight, because no matter how i strapped it in, the heel was always on the inside of my foot, and it didn't feel good for running, like my leg was going to buckle out (and i kept faceplanting when i'd run).

not sure if i said above.. i overspecced my springs, i weigh 180lbs and got 90s which are rated ~199 and up. had them for about a month and a half now, probably put in 20-30 hours (not vigorous) and only beginning to get springy jumps that propel me into the air. taking the slow and sure path (i had to take time off because one knee was freaking out, feels better now, just wore them for ~2 1/2 hours w no stress.)

def. found at first bunny hops were harder because the springs were so stiff that unless both feet landed at exactly the right time, it wasn't good. now i don't have to get it quite so right. i'd recommend getting the "right" spring weight if you can afford a 2nd pair of springs in the next 6 months, year. i'm not sure i'll be able to so i have to be satisfied w wearing them in.

I weigh about the same as you and just got some brand new 90 springs. I could bottom them out of the box. It'll just take you getting the technique down. But yeah, for sure get in your weight class and order up after you've worn out a spring.

After having mine about a week or so. I should have really gone 100. :P

For the heel thing. I'm thinking of using some foam to pad mine out as well. The issues annoying in this model.
Leader of the

Offline xoxos

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 06:18:19 PM »
you know what you're doing.. for anyone else, for a while i was thinking.. "i'll just get used to the one heel being on the inside more.." and that def. didn't happen. tweak it until it fits and learn it the right way.

i was jumping in my yard, not long enuff to run far.. got em out to the park, and having real space helped a lot.

hae fun on friday's meet.