Author Topic: Some guy bails a flip over a moving car on a German TV show.  (Read 27764 times)

Offline Biohazard

• The 'Crash Test Dummy'
Some guy bails a flip over a moving car on a German TV show.
« on: December 04, 2010, 10:30:32 PM »

A candidate from "Wetten Dass...?" fell so hard, the show had to be cancelled.

Student Samuel Koch bettet that he could jump over 5 cars using so called "powerizers" (stilt with springs in them). At the second jump he fell head first on the ground and didn't move. He has then been brought to the hospital where they diagnosed his status as "relatively good for what happened". He is concious and can feel his legs.
After the incident, the show has been stopped for 30 minutes until the moderator said "we can't pretend to be happy when we aren't".
In the rehearsal everything worked out fine.

Looks like he got his technique completely wrong:

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
Re: Some guy bails a flip over a moving car on a German TV show.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 11:03:38 PM »
This is terrible. Without that helmet I dont even wanna think what would have happened.

I just heard from Lothar that he is now awake and I hope there is no permanent injury.

Offline English-tailor

• Elite Member
  • Piste off MoFo's
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 11:11:08 PM »
OMG!!!! That was a bad stack, fingers crossed he makes a full recovery

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 11:35:30 PM »
HOLY BEEP!!!!!!!!

Ultimate face plant! that must of broke his noes or even snapped it off OWCH beeping beep beep :P

When was this? are there any like pictures of him in hospital or like after shots or anything? That must of really hurt :(

Aidan :Cwink:

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 11:37:13 PM »
Weird to think how badly things can go wrong :S
DC

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 11:39:20 PM »
It was broadcast live tonight in german Aidan so its a bit early for any other news.

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 11:41:37 PM »
Ohhhhhhh ouch! that guy has a headache!

His face was practically flat with the floor would his helmet of helped him in that situation? I think he may of bust his face up a bit.

Aidan :Cwink:

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 11:42:53 PM »
I think it was the top of his head that impacted the ground first, but im not sure.

Offline bendover90

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 12:17:01 AM »
LOCK YOU KNOW THIS GUY??

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 12:21:41 AM »
I wish him a speedy recovery and hope there is no permanent damage, however just reading what ExtremFlo translated from the footage on youtube, surely something like this you need to be very confident and have nailed it on rehearsals before you try it live?

"These were his statements to the samples in advance:

BZ: How did the rehearsals so far?

Samuel Koch: They definitely help and give some degree of certainty, but I am still skeptical During rehearsals on Thursday I fell hard twice.. The betting part does not work yet. However, the conditions are such that it could work in the show. And my team is great."

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 03:17:47 AM »
That was awful. I watched it twice...but I don't intend to watch it again. I hope he recovers soon. Anyone in touch with him or his friends, please send our best wishes.

Poor guy. =(
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Trip

• EA Bocker
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 11:18:31 AM »
That accident was easily the worst I've ever seen on stilts, it looked horrific. combine that we the fact it was live on Germanys biggest TV show and the fact that Justin Beiber was going appear and is on Twitter praying for guy!! I hope he recovers but this is probably the biggest news story jumping stilts have ever got by a long way for all the wrong reasons. He looked petrified when the camera was on his face the whole thing was very nasty.
I think it will be a global story probably over the next few days with Biebers involvement. It just shows how real the risks are with performing these stunts, total nightmare a real window to the world at exactly the wrong moment.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 11:37:46 AM by Trip »

Offline Squeeker

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
Ouch, I think the fact that he was wearing all the padding and armour you can kinda helped :S

Offline Paul-Self

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 12:03:05 PM »
This video for me highlights the fact that when your on stilts you need to know your limits, and no when to say no thanks! Hope he is ok. The fact that the guy was doubting it and had a couple of hard falls in rehearsels suggests to me he should have never attempted it in the first place especially on live tv when you will be even more nervous about it.

Be safe and no your limitations.

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 12:03:53 PM »
Yes the fact that justin beiber was going to perform is clearly important.

Offline Trip

• EA Bocker
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 12:18:29 PM »
I'm just highlighting the fact that his involvement will make the story bigger around the world. It looked bad I hope the guy is recovering, don't read anything into the comments his involvement isn't important other than news.

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 03:51:36 PM »
I don't get why people making such big things about limitations etc... it all worked in rehearsals and they probably tried loads and loads of times and got it correct. Was just an unlucky and unexpected accident. Hope Sam gets better soon though, although he is lucky he got it on camera :P We always need proof here :D

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 04:25:13 PM »
it all worked in rehearsals and they probably tried loads and loads of times and got it correct.

According to the information currently available which is just bits and bobs, he hadn't managed to successfully perform this in his rehearsals and had already fell hard twice. Its hit the UK news now as well, sadly there seems to be no real news on how he is doing today or if the operation was successful :(

On Sky News http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Samuel-Koch-Hurt-On-German-TV-Stunt-Show-Wetten-Dass-Student-Tried-to-Bounce-Over-Cars/Article/201003115848102?lpos=World_News_Top_Stories_Header_4&lid=ARTICLE_15848102_Samuel_Koch_Hurt_On_German_TV_Stunt_Show_Wetten,_Dass:_Student_Tried_to_Bounce_Over_Cars_

Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1335851/Samuel-Koch-s-TV-horror-falls-trying-leap-moving-car-stilts.html

Offline XS

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2010, 04:26:40 PM »
I don't get why people making such big things about limitations etc... it all worked in rehearsals and they probably tried loads and loads of times and got it correct. Was just an unlucky and unexpected accident. Hope Sam gets better soon though, although he is lucky he got it on camera :P We always need proof here :D

All the best to him and his family, but this was outside his limits.  Comment elsewhere from people closer to the German bocking community have said that he'd never successfully completed the stunt before the live attempt.

Dome just posted on PP that he's in a artificial Coma, not good news unfortunately.

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 04:30:19 PM »
Just found this article which gives more information on his condition and it doesn't look good for him
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/europe/news/article_1603542.php/Man-hurt-in-live-German-TV-stunt-has-signs-of-paralysis-doctors

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2010, 04:58:59 PM »
I think its a bit insensitive to talk about whether or not what he did or tried to do was a good or bad decision etc. Lets just hope his condition improves.

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2010, 05:40:08 PM »
Locky, It may seem insensitive at this time, but that wasn't my intention, questions of his ability and whether a stunt like this should have been shown live are already been asked.

I agree that 1st priority is his health, we are all praying his condition improves and that we hear some positive news very soon, for both his and his families sake and everything else is secondary to that, however I do think its important to highlight the safety aspect for our members - that sometimes push themselves before they are ready and Paul gets it spot on when he says "Be safe and know your limitations"

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2010, 07:27:43 PM »
Sadly these sort of stunts do go wrong sometimes

Hope the Guy is OK and maybe when he recovers we could send him a card or something from Projump

It is a shame it has happened so publicly as that sort of thing never helps and can turn parents away from letting their kids have Bocks as they don't realise that this is the extreme end on the sport and the average bocker wouldn't even attempt a flip let alone over a car

Whether her was ready or not I must give him credit for even attempting it and from what I can see he cleared the car but over rotated

They often put people into a coma just to aid recovery so lets all wish him a speedy recovery

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Trip

• EA Bocker
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2010, 07:33:57 PM »
Totally agree with Naz and previous comments from Paul. My personal opinion is I can't believe that stunt was transmitted live,
5 front flips over moving cars!!!! I pray that young guy is OK but there's a fine line between what is safe and what is crazy. I saw Swebounce who is a professional acrobat do it once on video but over 5 cars live!!! Insane