Author Topic: Transitioning to Winter Bocking  (Read 7904 times)

Offline bendover90

Transitioning to Winter Bocking
« on: November 27, 2010, 08:53:41 PM »
hey guys

so its winter, its cold, wet, and have i mentioned...ITS COLD!

so you bock in the summer when everhting is bone dry, everyone loves the entertainment, and theres no risk of gettin a sore arse caused my a sly patch of black "death" ice.

but when you bock in the winter , thats a whole different kettle of fish......its wet, slippery, cold and windy......there are many risks that can be asscoiated with winter bocking and most of them are pretty obvious, ice, water, wind the lot. so some changes to you kit may be needed.

so, these are the changes i have gone through to transition from summer bocking to winter bocking.

i have doubled my layers i wear, have aquired a half face mask (to keep the chill off my face) and gloves inder my wrist guards.

WHAT WILL YOU CHANGE TO STAY SAFE AND CONFORTABLE THROUGH THESE WINTER MONTH'S

:PJL:  :PJR:

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
Re: Transitioning to Winter Bocking
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 08:59:34 PM »
I will save up for a new bikini.

HTFU Ben. Go bockering. Preferably down the bay. 11 o'clock tomorrow.

Offline billymaya

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 10:27:33 PM »
yes i have fully prepared by hanging up my stilts and hibernation like a bear for the winter lol

actualy went out this morning jumping tentivly and it wasnt to bad although very bloody cold

Offline bendover90

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 02:20:15 AM »
 :Cnotworthy: LOCKY  4  GOD!

:Cchatterbox: AM...am ......am i f***kin missing something here?

"im hibernating"
"hanging up my stilts"

GET A GRIP A PEOPLE! ITS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD, YES ITS COLD BUT COME ON!

sod ya im not stopping :) mask on, thermal layer on and away i go :)     :Claugh:

RISE UP!     :Cwink:

Offline GIZMOQUEEN

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 07:25:37 PM »
Sorry to say, i'm going into bocking hibernation this winter.......Well until all the Christmas madness has passed.

nothing wrong with some down time, to spend with friends and loved ones X

"Its the season to get merry and pile on the pounds"

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 09:18:12 PM »
Yep winter bocking is fun

For a start you don't overheat (Like I do in the summer  :Claugh:)

Worst one for me isn't ice or snow (bocked on both happily) but wet leaves are a killer on the London pavements

I recon half of my unexpected falls have been due to bl**dy leaves  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline billymaya

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:13:23 PM »
well ive got to admit me and kieran have just finished off our tyre socks there a bit rough round the edges but they are certainly doing there job should protect our hoofs a bit longer, and we decided to go out and give them a try its a bit dark but because of the ice and snow the roads were dead quiet got some good practice in with are gloves and wooly hats on (my god its cold) really enjoyed it the weirdest thing is when im on foot and jump my back doesnt hurt at all but then i dont tense for impact but as soon as im on the stilts it hurts shouldnt that be the other way round lol think i also might need to adjust the calf cuffs a bit because one feels lower than the other and both of them feel to low down my legs in any case ,fine adjustment needed i think

Offline RRparlbystumble

• i spend more time repairing, than bocking.
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 09:51:24 AM »
my greatest winter experience so far is jumping into a snow man whilst on bocks..there a wee bit wet now tho ..i shall tumble dry them. they might shrink tho :/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 11:10:12 AM »
winter, the time of gym meets

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline RRparlbystumble

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 05:30:10 PM »
@ yep screw christmas presents for freinds and family Gym fees come first :P

Offline Jahkk

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 12:29:48 PM »
Okay, it's not exactly the same thing, but...

I live in Devon, in the middle of nowhere, and unfortunately I don't have any concrete/tarmac/anything surfaces for a few miles each way. The only real flat surface I can get to is grass, so is that going to affect how my bocks work much? I've found that so far my springs haven't broken in yet after a few months of use, which I presume isn't hugely normal.

The other thing is, I have no way of getting anywhere - I'm not exactly old enough to drive and my parents say the grass area is fine for now. Any chance of proving them wrong, or am I stuck with it?   :Cerr:
So I can write anything here and it'll show up at the end of every post, right?

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 04:12:43 PM »
What a strange place to post this question. =P you would definitely get more height on concrete...but bocking on grass isn't then end of the world and it will result in less serious injuries whilst learning. So don't worry about it. =)
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Jahkk

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 09:16:56 PM »
Yup, strange indeed...  :Cmad:

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 11:26:06 PM »
Grass is fine dude. Just make sure it is dry and if its had a few days rain then it will be soft but you'll feel that right away.

Offline RRparlbystumble

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 01:28:58 PM »
HI jahhk. you live in devon? There is a really freindly community of bockers in plymouth  which i help set up called the riser raptors, on average there are about 15 peeople per meet every saturday all ages are welcome as our youngest member at the moment is 10 and our oldest is 32???...sorrry @billy maya :P
if your parents don't want you going by yourself bring them along with you haha or we can always come to you if plym is too far away we also have a few members based in exeter aswell :D

if your interested check out the face book page :) Riser Raptors

Offline Jahkk

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 07:08:34 PM »
Cool, I might do that if I have some time free from GCSEs. I'm almost exactly between Exeter and Plymouth, so not too far away :D

Offline RRparlbystumble

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 03:48:21 PM »
GCSE's i remember those i think.  :Claugh:  there are 3 other guys in the group your age. i persoanlly won't be at a meet in ex or plym until august now as i'm stuck in cumbria at uni at the mo :/... but if you ever seen a bright yellow truck with ghost buster stickers driving about exeter. the driver is one of ours haha  :Claugh:

Offline JOLLY JUMPER

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 03:09:16 PM »
since it gets dark earlier in the winter...
..read my link ;"bocking by night; who tried it?" :Cbiggrin:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 03:11:56 PM by JOLLY JUMPER »

Offline Greggles

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • BOCK IT AND ROCK IT
    • www.eabockers.com
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 02:33:03 PM »
lol last time this was posted on was last year dude and was made in 2010

Offline JOLLY JUMPER

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 07:20:26 PM »
lol last time this was posted on was last year dude and was made in 2010
yes,
the last winter that occured was indeed last year around this time...
so expect that this thread might "revive" every year or so...
also,
since when can a thread "overage???"
Isn't it better to have your say on an existing thread, instead of starting a new one,in the end resulting in overcrowding the forum , making it difficult to find the right,interesting threads?

you also have to know that I bought my stilts a few months ago, and joined this forum less than a few months ago, so I didn't have anything to say yet last winter... :Cwink: