Author Topic: why tape springs?  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Cozee T

why tape springs?
« on: October 14, 2010, 11:43:15 PM »
i may be sounding really dim but not understanding why the springs need to be wrapped in tubing - it is more than just customizing isnt it?

it is to stop them getting scratched?
does it give more spring?

what are the consequences of not doing so?
how long will they last if you dont?
how much longer if you do?

thanks and sorry for all the questions

Offline binop9

Re: why tape springs?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 03:08:20 AM »
Hiya Cozee T

In answer to your question... The reason's for taping the spring's are as follows ( others may add more if i miss any out )

taping the springs acts as a sacrifice layer that don't cost much to replace when it is damaged.. as the springs are more prone to damage being such large arch shape..

some people when learning tend to pivot on there toes causing the same action to happen on their hoofs which in turn make you slap springs against each other and thus taking chunks out of them thus weakening them and causing them to fail aka snap/shatter and so on...

not only does taping give you what could be described as like a ( forgive the idea/punn ) condom effect it protects your springs and ( dont split lol ) also is easy to replace and saves you having to buy new springs every few weeks/ months but also in the event that your springs do fail due to use most of the spring will be kept together by the tape.

As to customizing... Yes if you like to get fancy with different colours and different pattens you can create your own style on your stilt spring so thus helping others pick you out in large meetings and it also is a great way for adding a splash of colour onto your stilts that you can change with some ease..

other options for spring protection are

of course tyre armor bicycle tyre cut down and made to fit spring held in place by 9 out of 10 times with either zip ties or hiking boot shoe laces due to there length.

my option being a bit over the top but never had any damage so far.. Zagg custom made skin ( stuff made for Helicopter Rotors and also now phones and so on then high pressure air jack hosing with 1 layer of duct tape to hold it all in place and then coloured twine on top of that ( i actually have 2 colours on each stilts.. this is Very Time Consuming 1 stilt just being wound took 4 to 5 hours and took 600 winds to complete. )

main questions you need to ask yourself are

1 how much you wanna protect your springs?
2 how fancy you wanna get on the "art work"
3 how much money you willing to spend on this sport.. some people are on a budget others have money to burn.
4 do you fancy spending more time fixing then using them.. if you do then dont bother taping them. if not then do or get something on your springs to keep em safe.

and 5 is more a general thing all the time.. Look after your stilts and keep them serviced every few weeks and you shouldn't have any problems in the future. :)

if i missed anything forgive me its late but im sure the rest of my "family" here will be more then glad to back me up with the bits i missed or didnt cover that well.

Chris - Binop9
Never Underestimate The Power Of Stupid People in Large Groups...

Offline madmonky13

• NXTee
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 09:11:03 AM »
its to stop you smashing up your springs. i have left the origional covers on, wr***ed them in a bike innertube, then tape and then spraypainted them, using a stencil. check out this mod http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?page=Tape. hope this helps.
jordan
NXTee.yolasite.com check it out.

Offline Cozee T

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 10:19:55 AM »
Hi Chris and Jordon

thank you for the very thorough explanations - much clearer now on all levels

loved the 'punn' by the way Chris

i am now going to pop out to by my tyres so i can get on my springs - goign to make the most of the late October sunshine

aim to be bouncing on two feet on my third outing - got the hang of alternative feet last sunday (and noticed the banging of the springs - sounds like some sort of ritual)

off to halfords

Offline madmonky13

• NXTee
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 08:55:49 AM »
hhhmmmmm springs shouldnt be baning that much.  later when your running if you just tap them together you will fall. sounds to me like you are walking like a duck (dont worry most people normaly do and have to adjust this for bocking) you will need to make a contsious effort to keep your feet paralel. good luck =) also where abouts are you?

jordan

Offline Cozee T

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 12:57:02 PM »
duck walking!?! - you are correct - getting more relaxed on my springs and making constious effort to keep my feet frwd and more the clcking has stopped

cheers for the tip Jordon (or madmonkey13) - new to forums so not sure what name to use  :Cconfused:

i live in North London - N13 -

i had a lot of fun sorting my springs out and here is the finished product

still cant get up from the floor yet - need high benches and walls - haven't fallen yet so that is handy - but in a perverse way am lookign forwd to my first fall - hope it is worth it  :Ctwitcy:

Offline madmonky13

• NXTee
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 04:08:53 PM »
Just use whatever name you would like. (you spelt both of them wrong lol well you spelt madmonky right which is wrong hehehe). And it's ok. I have been bockiing for over a year now and still can't get up off the floor, so don't worry about that. Glad to help. When I said walking like a duck it's because ducks feet arnt parralel they are at angles...

Jordan

Offline Cozee T

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 10:05:46 PM »
my apologies - I hang head in shame

both names wrong....! :Cswoon:

and didnt add pictures

that sunday feeling