Author Topic: newbie of all newbies  (Read 3261 times)

Offline ep82

newbie of all newbies
« on: August 21, 2010, 11:53:03 PM »
Hi all

Just got a set of these from my brother as a birthday present  :Cbiggrin:

I am not that of a daring person and I thought WTF when he bought them for me but I gave it ago anyway.  ATM I have spent about 15 mins on them and I can do short distance walking unaided.  I just dont like the feeling (or knowing) I am going to hurt myself by a face plant or rip all my skin off my palms!!! or even getting a sore bottom!!

Anyway I have a few question I would like to ask.

when you firts start off. do you have to keep my legs moving at all times (like marching)?   or is it just me which find this easier?
Is it possible to stand still on these without falling over?  like I said I have to keep marching on the spot to maintain my balance.

ok, how on earth do you get down without hurting yourself on these? I find it really hard to get up after wayching the getting up vid.

1 last thing can, someone tell me where I can get some straps from? the ones that goes where the knee bar goes?  I take it that these gives you more support and make using these pro jumps easier?

Thanks any and Hi to everyone

Offline K-rock

• SkyHigh
Re: newbie of all newbies
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 12:09:56 AM »
Hi ep82

first thing I'll say is wear pads man, Knee pads, Elbow pads and wristguards especially. You'll never stand still without holding onto things, its impossible (cue someone posting a video of someone doing it that i haven't seen) but seriously the hooves are too small. And yeah you have to learn to fall, it takes time, but when you get pads you can fall on them i suppose.. learn how to get up first, there are numerous videos in the school of bocking here:
http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?page=Getting-Up-After-A-Fall
including one of me :P

and you can buy al the pads from pro jump, includig Cuffs (the knee straps you referred to)

Hope I was helpful, and have fun :D

Bock 'n' Roll!!

Offline HannahCarpetRugg

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 12:12:40 AM »
Heey :D
Im sortof a newbie ;)
But i was lucky to have a week of practice on spem non bouncy stilts before getting some bouncy ones :D

Yes you have to keep moving or you fall ;)
you can walk on the spot or whatever.. or lean agaisnt something/someone ;)
To sit down...
I either (if im in town) Find a bin or a wall and rest my hands ond turn on the spot and sit down or just reverse in to them :L
Or if im at home again i find a wall or soemthing to take them off :)

You can get the calf cuffs of the website here they sell them :)
Personally i find them both fine .. although the cuffs slighlty comfier.. with knee pads however i dont see much difference :D

And for scraping ur wrists get soem wrist guards from this website again :D

http://www.pro-jump.co.uk/

Hope this helps!! :D
Hannah xx :D

Offline K-rock

• SkyHigh
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 12:14:29 AM »
How helpful is this forum man? 13 inutes past midnight and you get two detailed replies in 20 minutes!

Bock 'n' Roll!!

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 08:17:46 AM »
Either that means we are sad or like helping people :P

Offline ep82

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 11:53:09 AM »
Hey Thanks for the repies guys :Cnotworthy:

Truly helpful.  But I am not looking forward in falling LOL

hmm. 1 other thing. if I get the calf cuffs,  do I get some knee pads too? I have seen people wearing both.  whats the best setup for a newb?  I will look at the shop and see what I can buy.

edit...just seen a few things. can someone tell me which one will I need? cuff +bindings or just cuffs?  also the wrist gaurds- is that the wrist bands?  dont see how the band will help or am I looking at the wrong place?

oh oh, which knee pad will I need to go with the cuffs?

Will also check out that vid  :Cbiggrin:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 11:58:08 AM by ep82 »

Offline HannahCarpetRugg

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 02:41:26 PM »
Hey Thanks for the repies guys :Cnotworthy:

Truly helpful.  But I am not looking forward in falling LOL

hmm. 1 other thing. if I get the calf cuffs,  do I get some knee pads too? I have seen people wearing both.  whats the best setup for a newb?  I will look at the shop and see what I can buy.

edit...just seen a few things. can someone tell me which one will I need? cuff +bindings or just cuffs?  also the wrist gaurds- is that the wrist bands?  dont see how the band will help or am I looking at the wrong place?

oh oh, which knee pad will I need to go with the cuffs?

Will also check out that vid  :Cbiggrin:

I would get knee pads :) worth it for sure you fall on to your knees so it prevents them getting mashed ;)
I cant help on which ones to get from here mind as i use my brothers old mountain biking ones which work perfectly :D

http://www.pro-jump.co.uk/pp/ProJump-Safety-Protection-Gear/Wrist-Support-Pads.html

Those are the wrist guards :)

& Ive used a pair with the pro bindings :D they are worth it.. im jsut impatient as thery are still on pre order so i went for the cheaper ones ;)

Hope this helps :D xx

Offline ep82

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 02:41:58 PM »
Just thought of something.  
If I was to wrap the springs with inner tubes and then maybe 3 layers of gaffer tape on top.  Wont be restrict the movement of the srpings when it's compressed?  surely when you wrapped the srings up tight, then it's harder for the spring to move...... or even the tape will end up sliding in and out?

Offline HannahCarpetRugg

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 03:38:37 PM »
Just thought of something.  
If I was to wrap the springs with inner tubes and then maybe 3 layers of gaffer tape on top.  Wont be restrict the movement of the srpings when it's compressed?  surely when you wrapped the srings up tight, then it's harder for the spring to move...... or even the tape will end up sliding in and out?

I have done exactly that! :D with some more layers of insualtion tape on top ;) to make them look cooler :D
Doesnt restrict my springs at all :)
xx

Offline ep82

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 05:04:22 PM »
Ah Nice one Hannah!  I will that a try and I think I should start thinking about safety gear lol