Author Topic: White plastic packer solution (maybe)  (Read 39949 times)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
White plastic packer solution (maybe)
« on: March 23, 2007, 11:53:35 PM »
The white plastic packers fell out of my PJ's after about 1 hors use but I think I've solved the prob

I cut the side out of a 5 gallon water container and shaped it as in pics taped it from above so it is more secure

If it works tomorrow and anyone is interested I'll post some more info & pics

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
Re: White plastic packer solution (maybe)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 11:55:11 PM »
A better pic to explain

Offline freakazoid

• Elite Member
  • ( a insane person laughing is always contageous..)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 06:37:05 PM »
not bad idea at all........so...hows its preformance? ;D
Excue me while i try to nibble on my own ear

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 09:36:44 PM »
I only got about 15 mins on them today due to rain and having a bad cold (joints ache befor starting let alone after )

But they have stayed put and hav'nt deformed at all

Also the old white ones seemed to rub and leave white dust and these don't

I'll try again tomorrow and report again

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 09:48:59 PM »
Oh by the way I only did one to see if there was any difference in performance between them

I found no probs I coudn't tell which was which while walking or jogging (thats a I get after about 1 hour total time so far )

Offline woodsy_1984

• Love it
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 01:37:28 PM »
i like this idea. it saves takin the springs off. always have respect for anyone who can save time.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 09:34:59 PM »
Thanks nice to feel appreciated

I went out on them yesterday fro about 40mins mainly walk some jogging and small jump or two (not very good yet)

the new packer is still good so it works short term
long term only time will tell

pic of the sort of drum I cut the plastic from but any hard wearing plastic of the right thickness should do

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 09:36:15 PM »
and the actual shape to cut

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 09:40:40 PM »
a better pic of the underside
I think that more than explains it

If anyone else trys it let me know if it stand up to more vigerous use as a beginner I can't realy give them a good test

Offline urbantricker

• Front Flip at Southsea
    • Urban Tricking
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 09:24:48 AM »
the man with a plan, i stuck cardboard down mine, didnt think of trying plastic from something like that

Offline freakazoid

• Elite Member
  • ( a insane person laughing is always contageous..)
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 11:02:36 PM »
what about a small strip of alluminium.....or would that do bugger all for the shock???
Excue me while i try to nibble on my own ear

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 11:11:31 PM »
Ally tends to workharden it you keep hitting it and then fracture so it would work first off but then might fracture or splinter might not be good for the springs

If you have trouble finding thick enough or tough enough plastic I thought of using old 2 litre drink bottles cut into strips and folded until thick enough then cut to the shape in the pics and taped in the same

I'm pretty sure the drink bottles are made of lexan the same stuff as bullet resistant windows so it should survive well

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 11:34:39 PM »
I tried the bottle idea and although possible it's a real pain so thin therefore lots of layers to cut out

some alternatives to the 5 gallon drum might be

Plastic tool boxes ( some cheep ones are made of good plastic but some are rubbish choose carefully )

Tupperware ( if you dont know what tupperware is ask your Mum or Nan they might even have some )

Video or Dvd cases ( might need two layers as it's thinner)

Just thought the recycle bins that the council supply might do (recycle a recycle bin)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 09:25:33 PM by Jason »

Offline urbantricker

• Front Flip at Southsea
    • Urban Tricking
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 09:54:35 AM »
( if you dont know what tupperware is ask your Mum or Nan they might even have some )

hahaha

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 08:17:33 PM »
Hey guys

We are working on a long term fix for this issue and Jason thanks for the measures you are taking yourself...

If any of you have the 1st gens bocks that came in the UK, you will know that the white plastic bit was not in the original design and they implemented this as a shock absorber and also to reduce the noise levels for the 2nd gen design. On original tests done they were certain that this was a move forward to a better stilt giving better performance and also protecting the spring from hard impact. However we are aware this has caused some people problems where by their plastic bit is coming out.

At Pro-Jump we pride ourselves on our customer service and we know that the white plastic bit has caused some of you problems however this isn’t a problem exclusive to Pro-Jump but also include Fly Jumper and Powerizer models that have the same issues – sometimes it seems to be suggested on the forum that this is just a Pro-Jump fault which is incorrect. However  Pro-Jump WILL do something about it for our customers and will also try to help out those affected by it who have purchased their stilts from other suppliers.

We don’t have many calls regarding this, however after talks with many forum users & extreme bockers it has come to our attention that it is something that users are worried about and we have been working on a modified replacement part the last few weeks with our own designers to resolve the matter. The sample is currently been made to our specifications and we are really pushing this through as a high priority.

Before you all ask when, / how much etc – I will go on to say that I did not want to make this public until we had the sample in our hands. it had been tested, and they were produced & in stock ready for posting out, however I know if I am upfront with you – you will appreciate it more so here goes:

WHEN - The sample is being created as we speak and our design team are going to be testing it within a week. If all tests go through successfully and it can be implemented simply, we will start manufacturing sufficient quantities to cover our customers and those who may need it – our estimate is 3 weeks but as you know it all depends on tests / production times so please bare with us & I’ll keep you posted.

HOW MUCH – As this mod is something that Pro-Jump have designed and producing, our customers will be getting these sent out to them free of charge. Once they are ready I will post on forums and across our sites and customers will just have to email in with their order number & details and a part will be sent out straightaway. We do realise the people who have Fly Jumpers & PoweriZers also have these problems and we are willing to get extra in so you will be able to purchase some. We will keep prices down and they should cost no more than a few quid hopefully.

WILL IT BE HARD TO FIX ON – The design that is worked on will be a straight forward mod which shouldn’t take more than a few mins to fix on and will be a direct replacement for the current part – it is similar to the current part but modified so that it does not move out of place.

Ok guys that’s it for now – I’ll do my best to keep you updated.
But we are doing something about it so watch this space!

« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 09:26:45 PM by webmaster »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 08:45:46 PM »
Now thats what I call customer service nice one

While your at it any chance of looking into supplying those cuffs that they have in germany they look so easy to put on and I have large feet that are hard to get through the hoops at the top

Ps only had them 2 weeks and having lots of fun with my PJ's Thanks  ;D

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 09:23:56 PM »
Hi

Thanks Jason - Great to hear you are having fun! Keep it up & we want to see you on them so get some pics up!!

Regarding the Cuffs - they are currently unavailable in the UK but I will look into it - as far as I'm aware they should fit on Pro-Jumps too but don't quote me on that :P

I think with regards to new generation stilts the knee pad design may be changed :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 03:05:35 PM by webmaster »

Offline stevie

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 09:36:40 PM »
i mentioned some months ago about cutting a plastic bucket etc to the shape ot the t, if you make it a little longer in length and the t a  little wider slide it thrugh downward with the t shape at the top that will give you room to get a snap tie/pull tie around the spring pull it tight around the t shape and mine has not moved since december, hope thats of some help,  if you ignore it as i nearly did when mine fell out for the first time, you take away the shock absorber and well you know the rest,   it took me a few days to realis how imporant the t realy is, not only did it rattle it also puts presure on you spine with the recoil, and can give you a nasty headache after some time.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 08:35:37 PM »
I've done about an hour and a half on the packer I made from the drum so I took it out to check it

It took all of 10 seconds to get out

It seems to have worn a little bit nothing serious so I put it back in

took about 1 min including tapeing it so it seems to work

might need to replace them periodicaly but there cheep and easy to put on

I replaced the other one at the same time and the original PJ one seemed to have worn almost as much

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 09:44:19 PM »
The back ones gave up so I replaced all four with the drum ones and it seems to have tightened the action up and improved my ballance

Did my first two foot hops this weekend and managed to get up of the floor tonight with the help of a broom handle one day I'll do it without  ;D

Offline woodsy_1984

• Love it
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 02:14:23 PM »
that was a very long and very interesting read. Cant wait to get the little buggers.

Offline x_Rave_Dave_x

• www.myspace.com/dave_5674
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2007, 10:18:25 PM »
only put it on one side? as i noticed there is ts on both sides

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2007, 10:46:18 PM »
I replaced both sides and I spray both sides when they squeek it seems to easy the action

I just replaced all the bearings and forgot to spray the packers they squeeked and were so tight I got a sort of juddering action a quick spray and they are fine now

Offline Trixter

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Leapfrog Expert
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2007, 12:08:14 AM »
do the gen 1's or gen 2's have the white plastic stuff my freinds have gen 1 and i have gen 2 and i cant see a white plastic thing on myne so dont know if its fallen out but ther not makin much noise if they have

Dark Knight

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2007, 12:16:49 AM »
do the gen 1's or gen 2's have the white plastic stuff my freinds have gen 1 and i have gen 2 and i cant see a white plastic thing on myne so dont know if its fallen out but ther not makin much noise if they have

They should have them !  :o
They stop the joint rubbing on the spring !