Author Topic: Had my first go today  (Read 4524 times)

Offline FunkyCowie

Had my first go today
« on: May 07, 2010, 07:05:33 PM »
Finally received the helmet I've been waiting for so I felt secure enough to go out and try them.

I live in a block of flats right here

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Harlow,+Essex+CM18+6BE,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.763906,0.11224&spn=0.002553,0.006925&t=h&z=18

that over looks a large area of grass, so I sat down at one of the benches and put knee pads on and bocks, then wristguards and finally helmet.... then thought how the expletive do I get up??? So with a twist and a push I was up and although I thought I'd fall right over I started walking straight off. Yay!!!

Sadly later on I got over confident and took a tumble whilst trying to get some speed up but as I was practising on grass in a dog poo free area it was all good and I was laughing so much... until I tried to get up but I couldn't get any grip and seemed to lack the strength to push myself up. I was rescued by a man who had been sitting on another bench who I had chatted with earlier, he found it most hilarious as did I.

But I can see why you guys put protection on your springs. First job to do tomorrow.

So how do you get up from grass with out slipping? When you first started was it easy to get up?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
Re: Had my first go today
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 07:14:51 PM »
Some people find it easy to get up from almost the start

And some people find very hard

But if you search on here for "Getting up" of similar there are several tutorials on here

Practice makes perfect  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 07:16:28 PM »
It took me 6 months to learn to get up and I was so happy. I never thought I'd learn it.

Anyway this tutorial tells you all you need to know:
http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?page=Getting-Up-After-A-Fall

Other tutorials are found using the menu that goes across the top of the forum!

You're quite lucky to get up and be able to walk right away and also having your first fall is a good thing. It lets yourself know that you're not invincable and also that falling doesnt result in death. :)

Offline spawnyb

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 09:23:52 PM »
I tried again tonight while I ws out after finishing a little jog on my local cycle path.

Tried it on grass and I still can't get up.  Ended up just fallingon my face before geting my other leg up.

Still have to suffer the shame of walking on my knees to the nearest tree. lol
Hmmmmmmm........Why did I buy these again?!?!?!?

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 10:28:47 AM »
Well the way I managed it was totally by mistake. I was in the park, I think just on the floor resting but I went down next to a small area of raised grass, kind of like a tiny hill. Now I knew I could get up say with a bench next to me, or even a high curb (so try that with a small wall or something) but the great thing about this area of grass was that I could use it to push off from varying heights. I was surprised that I could push off from the grass that was just 2-3 inches high and I thought thats just silly so I tried it on the flat.

Tip: If your right leg goes forwards then the obstacle you are using to help you should be along side you on the left and vice versa if you use your left leg forward.

Offline FunkyCowie

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 08:45:39 AM »
Second go yesterday just to show my family how much of a nutter I am and I managed to bounce properly when doing a sort of jog, yay!!! 1.5 hours of use and I am loving it I have a huge grin on my face just thinking about it despite aching all over this morning.

Offline FunkyCowie

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 10:28:16 AM »
Third go having modded my bocks, was out for 1.5 hours and sweated buckets... not sure why I showered before hand lol

When I bought my bocks I didn't realize they came in odd sizes, I guess its down to testing after fabrication and they can't make it exact during. So I weigh 90kgs (probably less now after this morning) and my springs are rated at 116kg so I am 26kgs over XD, however I am up for the challenge :D

I am trying to figure out a exercise regime to build up my skills this morning and a bit of a stretch and walking in the bocks, I started to jog, bouncing from one foot to the other. Where I am training there is a half size football field so I then jogged about 6 lengths with periods of bouncing on the spot between, holding on to the goal posts for support. After being worn out I had a little go at bouncing unsupported for the first time and stayed upright! Woo hoo!!! :D

So 3 hours in I still have a grin on my face but want to know what kind of practice/exercise regime others do or have done to build up to where they are now?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 09:27:39 PM »
I try to get out on my Bocks for half an hour a day at lunch time

And then do at least one meet a weekend 2-4 hrs and two big meets a month 4-6 hrs

And I don't manage it   :Claugh:

But basicly the more time you can spend on them the fitter you get ( bit obvious really  :Cbiggrin: )

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK: