Author Topic: Just got a pair! 2 hours in and got a few questions  (Read 4585 times)

Offline blackplasma

Just got a pair! 2 hours in and got a few questions
« on: April 21, 2010, 06:27:01 PM »
hello everybody, ive just been given a second hand pair and ive been out on them for an hour or two! after teaching myself to walk for the 3rd time in my life i have grown in confidence quite quickly, i can jog, hop and bounce on both heels! really enjoying it, but now ive got questions! any help appreciated!

the velcro straps on the knee bars was really uncomfortable and has bruised me quite badly?! are the bars too high? are the straps meant to be tight? any advise/upgrades?

ive got no seperate knee bindings! luggage webbing from poundland maybe? how long do i need? how should i do it up?

in really not a fan of blue and all the plastics are blue! can it be painted? or dyed? plasticote maybe?

i bottomed out once  trying to run, kind of bounding from one foot to another is the model number/spring rating printed anywhere? i want to make surethe springs are suitable.

is there a thread to help me with running technique, should you lift your knees high in front? should it be like hopping from one foot to the next?

can i re-cover the springs with heat shrink? what is used originally? i want sone funky bocks!

oh and, cycle helmet or skateboard style?

thats all for now, thanks in advance!

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
Re: Just got a pair! 2 hours in and got a few questions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 06:53:55 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum, lovely to see lots of new bockers signing up :)

Now all the questions you asked you would have found the answers to if you used the search but as you asked so nicely :P and I've not been around much for a while I thought I should post!

the velcro straps on the knee bars was really uncomfortable and has bruised me quite badly?! are the bars too high? are the straps meant to be tight? any advise/upgrades?

In the links above, you have the mods section where the raising the footplate may help http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?page=Raising-The-Footplate
It should help if this is what happened to you http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=783
You should not have the straps on very tight

Ive got no seperate knee bindings! luggage webbing from poundland maybe? how long do i need? how should i do it up?

Theres lots of knee support mods and you can find them all here http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?page=Knee-Support-Mods

in really not a fan of blue and all the plastics are blue! can it be painted? or dyed? plasticote maybe?

I'll leave this to someone like Jason who can get all technical :)

i bottomed out once  trying to run, kind of bounding from one foot to another is the model number/spring rating printed anywhere? i want to make surethe springs are suitable.

Try looking at the bottom of the spring there may be a number there that may give an indication

is there a thread to help me with running technique, should you lift your knees high in front? should it be like hopping from one foot to the next?

There is something in the manual http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?page=Manual page 11
There is no vid tutorial so hint hint all you guys with a vid cam :D

can i re-cover the springs with heat shrink? what is used originally? i want sone funky bocks!

oh and, cycle helmet or skateboard style?

Skate / Snowboarding - also see http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?page=Do-I-Need-Safety-Gear

Hope this help :)

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 08:04:09 PM »
woo well done Naz  and welcome BP

Offline blackplasma

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 11:19:49 PM »
You should not have the straps on very tight
ah! they were as tight as can be!
Theres lots of knee support mods and you can find them all here
the dog collars look great!
Try looking at the bottom of the spring there may be a number there that may give an indication
got it! 70kg, now i need some bathroom scales?!
Hope this help :)
very much cheers!

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 11:27:21 PM »
Unfortunatly I dont agree with you about the straps Naz :P I think they should be tight else my leg wobles around to much and you can loose balance, especially when you get into Check for gums and Flips. Also I tell people who try on ,y stilts, if you still have feeling then they are not tight enough :P
DC

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 04:07:39 PM »
The problem is that when the straps are done up really tight they get uncomfortable and often come undone. The earlier versions only have a bit of velcro and there is no dual d link which does a better job of keeping the straps in place. Its better to invest in some webbing or Pinhead style straps as they are stronger and more comfortable.

Offline Hammy

• Voted RR's Group Clown
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 10:03:54 PM »
i found that if you wear a sock or knee support it helps stop discomfort