Author Topic: Sport Relief  (Read 4701 times)

Offline W3bbo

• Bockipedia
Sport Relief
« on: March 16, 2010, 12:06:44 AM »
It's not too late to apply for the 21st mile.

I'm planning on attending, I've spoken to Euan and he seems interested. I still need to find out if we're actually allowed to do this (I heard some stories of people being turned away because of health+safety?).

Let's discuss this.

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
Re: Sport Relief
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 08:51:56 AM »
there r 2 or 3 other threads on sports relief  and the problems of entering

Basically you can only enter  big BBC flagship miles  a/ if is a suitable course  ,ie  tarmac b  u have got permission from bbc to be a seperate 'wave'

i only know of permission   for hull and southampton at mo :Cmad:

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 01:53:12 PM »
and Cardiff :)

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 02:18:27 PM »
Naaarrwich too :)

Offline W3bbo

• Bockipedia
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 08:31:16 PM »
there r 2 or 3 other threads on sports relief  and the problems of entering

Basically you can only enter  big BBC flagship miles  a/ if is a suitable course  ,ie  tarmac b  u have got permission from bbc to be a seperate 'wave'

i only know of permission   for hull and southampton at mo :Cmad:

I'm not bothered about getting special attention from the BBC about this, I just want to do it to raise money (I've got sponsors already, without me even asking...)

Aaron (ferret) seems interested to, so I guess there'll be least 3 of us going now. I've created a team page for us:

http://www.mysportrelief.com/bockers

If anyone wants to sponsor us, go ahead :)

UPDATE:

Oh, I just found out that mysportrelief.com/bockers is my personal fundraising page. So our team page is actually http://www.mysportrelief.com/brumbockers

Apologies to Nero for using his T-shirt art :p

UPDATE2: I can change the URL to mysportrelief.com/teamskyhigh, but as this isn't an official TSH thing (I haven't been able to speak to Nero yet y'see) I'll only change it when/if I speak to him.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 08:39:58 PM by W3bbo »

Offline W3bbo

• Bockipedia
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 05:56:39 PM »
I just phoned Sport Relief and got them to sort out some problems the team registration was having.

After that was sorted, I wanted to make sure what we were planning was within the rules, unfortunately the person at the other end basically said "we'd rather you didn't" and "it's not really allowed" because of obvious H&S concerns. She did say that if there was a reasonable number of us we could go in our own separate "wave" which would ensure we're separate from the the rest of the runners.

...I think we've got a problem. I wonder if the people doing other SR runs explicitly asked for permission/details or just assumed they'd be allowed to go.

She said that she'd pass my details on to the organiser for the Birmingham event and see if we can get official permission, and that this is more likely if there's a large number of us. Our team has 3 people registered and I said there'd probably be at least 5 of us (Me, Euan, Aaron, Euan's gf, and Aaron's gf, but I don't know if Aaron's gf is bocking). If we can get another 3 or 4 (Nero, K-Rock, Brendan, CJ?) then that'd probably be enough to definitely be allowed in.

I probably shouldn't have left this so late, there's only 4 more days to go :p

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 06:07:48 PM »
We were invited by the bbc and we do have our own wave.
However from a H+S standpoint, this isnt a solution. Some people walk the mile, some run it and some are doing more than a mile. Bockers and runners ARE going to running at the same time so I'm not really sure how they intend to answer that one. The answer probably is, they wont answer it.

All you can do is talk to them nicely :)

Offline W3bbo

• Bockipedia
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 06:23:27 PM »
I just phoned SNuD, he can't personally come (having a boat race that day) but knows at least 2 other people who are probably available. Let's hope the ball starts rolling.

Offline W3bbo

• Bockipedia
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 08:47:58 PM »
Guys, WE ARE APPROVED! :D

Hi David

Thanks so much for getting in touch about coming to the Birmingham Mile!

We would love to have you there for the event and can definitely fit you in to a wave. All we ask is that you let us know what wave you are planning on entering and we will let the marshals know who will ensure you are at the front of the wave – for health and safety reasons as you can imagine.

If people are planning on coming down on the day to sign up please  be aware that the first waves are full and to direct your team to the 2pm or 2.30 waves.

Does this make sense and is it ok?

Please let me know what you decide to do.

All the best

Clare

If anyone else is interested in coming, let me know ASAP!

Offline W3bbo

• Bockipedia
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 02:07:08 AM »
Well, quite a few people who were on my "deffo coming" list have actually dropped out at the last minute, quite a disappointment. At risk of jynxing things, there's still at least 2 more people coming for a total of 3.

If anyone is thinking of coming there are two chances to meet up: either at 1200h (midday) at Selly Oak station car-park (there are two-car parks, but if you stand on the pedestrian bridge over the station you can see both places fine, or at the starting place at Cannon Hill park during the day. I'll be checking this thread regularly so just post here if you are coming.