Author Topic: Sport relief mile  (Read 21080 times)

Offline sportsaholic07

Sport relief mile
« on: February 14, 2010, 02:02:55 PM »
Hi, i anyone thinking of doing the sports relief mile?.....but in their projumps?

Was wondering if your actually allowed to do the run on them...the one in norwich i was thinking of doing

Offline Hilly-of-the-Marshes

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
Re: Sport relief mile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 02:58:39 PM »
www.mysportrelief.com/hillyotm

already entered see?

Offline asbestospiping

• PJF Contributor
    • www.robcowie.net
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 03:21:22 PM »

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 04:37:45 PM »
and moi.....oooo un I suspect we are permitted to do the mile on stilts.....the hint being THAT WE IS FEATURED IN THE ADVERT ON  BBC  :Claugh:

Last time I did it I got on telly and front page of local paper :Cbiggrin:

Offline GIZMOQUEEN

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 05:37:13 PM »
I'm think of entering the jj's team...what distances are people running?

and is fancy dress a option!

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 05:56:08 PM »
moi 3  as is rob  sprinsteen being a lite weight un goin 4 1 mile dunno bout rest   well think they noy desided yet   un undesides r 6-7 strong At mo  so should get a good team 2 show :Csmile:

Offline Samarka

• In my livingroom!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 08:30:33 PM »
I should be getting my bocks this week in time to register for the one my work are running, so I'll be doing a mile in my projumps!!

Got bocks, backfleep or broken face sometime in the future.....

Offline bgirlmandy

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 10:03:56 PM »
 im gonna do the run thinking southampton wiv u guys. what date is it n how many miles r u doing.

after the santa run with blue im def gonna do sum training coz it nearly died i was tht knacked ;lol  :Claugh:

Offline asbestospiping

• PJF Contributor
    • www.robcowie.net
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 10:24:53 PM »
Go for it bgirlmandy, use the form on the sport relief site to sign up, and at the end there is a button to join an existing group, just search for Jurassic Jumpers.

Offline Becky

• EsseX Power Bockers
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 09:45:13 AM »
and moi.....oooo un I suspect we are permitted to do the mile on stilts.....the hint being THAT WE IS FEATURED IN THE ADVERT ON  BBC  :Claugh:

I know the Leeds mile have said no to bockers, so you might want to check before you just turn up! (And they did point out that bockers were on the advert - it didnt make a difference)

Offline sportsaholic07

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 10:14:46 AM »
Is there a group doing the norwich 1 mile? I was just planning to do it on my own, but i presume we would do the mile together and submit the money in as one whole one in a groups?

Offline asbestospiping

• PJF Contributor
    • www.robcowie.net
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 12:26:19 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Becky, I've just checked with the BBC, and they wont be allowing bockers to take part at any of the Sainsbury’s miles at all (thats basically all the BBC organized ones). Which kind of puts an end to that :-(

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 06:16:44 PM »
Well my apology for the duff gen

Doubt it will make too much difference  but I ve just sent this to sports relief

Hello

I just recently entered the Sports Relief Mile. I had intended to compete on my 'pwerbocks', or springloaded stilts.  I was encouraged in this by the fact that they feature in a BBC advert/trailer for this event and has often appeared on TV. Additionally, I and many others have previously completed this event on said stilts.

I now find that for this event they have been banned. I am very disapointed and confused at this. I know of many other all around the country were planning to do the same. Indeed some , like me, have already entered.

May I ask you to  do all that you can to reverse this situation. I hope to look foreward to hearing from you soon.

Quentin Abbott

Bournemouth

Am about to do similar to BBC

Id urge you all to do somat similar

Offline bgirlmandy

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 06:40:18 PM »
  im doing race for life in my pro jumps ,but now im checking if ill be allowed n it anit looking gd, health and safety AGAIN!!
  so thanks for raising tht point . im also gonna send a email to bbc.

xx

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 08:21:08 PM »
Well I think that is very rich Q

If we are banned from using them perhaps they should remove them from the advert as it is misleading at the best and a blatent case of lying at the worst

There are avenues for adverts that are like this and as they are breaking some of the rules perhaps we should complain to the relevent authoritys  :Claugh:

Or maybe we should hold our own Mile in london only for bockers (if anyone would like to organise it I would do my best to attend)

I know I am being a little combatitive about this but things like this annoy me a great deal as they are happy to use us when they want to but won't take any risks to help us (Not very charitable in my opinion)

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 08:50:39 PM »
i think u should put the dragon suit on  un bock in2 broadcasting house!

un do the monty phyphon line ...'i wish to register a complaint.....'
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:52:49 PM by Bbmthbloke »

Offline sportsaholic07

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 09:35:32 PM »
This is so disappointing! I have also just emailed them! I was so excited because ive only just got my powerbocks and am finally getting good running on them....grrrrrrr

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 10:07:09 PM »
well all keep emailing sports relief and bbc

if no luck  then there is potential  for 'not the sports relief mile'  . loads r actually excluded....u can do it in a wheelchair but not on a sk8 board.

may take hit this year  but we want a commitment  to have the excluded looked at and a  way to 'include' atleast some next time

oo un when peeps email put your town...so they know this is national

and if u in a club with a forum,  FLAG IT THERE

ta muchly

Offline Samarka

• In my livingroom!
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 11:38:59 PM »
I've sent sport relief an email too. Asking for clarification on the rumours of banned bocking.

Does this mean if we all get banned from sport relief we can all join the Banned Bockers?

Offline asbestospiping

• PJF Contributor
    • www.robcowie.net
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 10:38:41 AM »
I'm afraid its not a rumor, below is the email i get yesterday after asking for clarification:

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your email.

Unfortunately we can’t allow people to powerbock the Sainsbury’s Sport Relief Mile for health and safety reasons; it’s a decision we’ve had to take in light of a lot of individuals asking to do it.

Could you tell me which Mile you were hoping to attend though, as I may be able to pass your details on to the organiser and it may (although I won’t promise anything) be possible to get you all providing some entertainment in an official capacity.

I’m sorry that the advert has caused some confusion and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Sarah-Claire Swift

Events Team Assistant.

I've fired off emails to every one I know at the BBC to see if I can get someone with a little power to talk to and see what we can do. I have also replied to that email with this:

Hello Sarah-Claire,
Thank you for your quick reply, but I must tell you that I, as well as many fellow bockers, are sorely disappointed with this news. We have supported the sport relief mile for a couple of years now, and many groups were planning to attend various events across the country. Can I ask why the change in the rules this year? Especially as power bockers are featured specifically in the sport relief mile TV spots (Still running as of the 15th) our exclusion this year has caused some offense amongst the bocking community.

Our groups and members understand the health and safety of all participants have to taken into account, but we all bock in public places, without problem, and have bocked inside the Beaulieu motor museum, around the exhibits, among a busy crowd, also without incident.

Please can we work together to enable participation this year, I can provide risk assessment (We participate in many events nationwide, and have a lot of experience in this regard) for insurance purposes, and any other information that may be needed. I know from experience that the site of people on powerbocks can be inspirational and lift spirits of every one around us.

Thanks
Rob Cowie
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 10:55:47 AM by asbestospiping »

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 01:43:50 PM »
When I was young the 2 most dangerous words in the English language were;
ATOMIC BOMB :Cconfused:
Now they are;
HEALTH & SAFETY! :Cyes:
God save us from them!!!!!!

Growing OLD is compulsory. Growing UP is optional. OPT OUT!

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 04:11:48 PM »
Well I have an 'email delayed' notice re sports relief, d'oh 

But peeps do contact sports relief and bbc  and if you are a member of a club   put this info on your website, if not there already

ta

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 08:03:12 PM »
Q got me thinking and I think a good way to teach them a lesson would be to do a mass bocking walk to collect for something like Help for Heros on the same day (or maybe the following weekend so we don't cause a war  :Cbiggrin:)  in the center of london

See how many people we can get together and perhaps invite a few of the soldiers that use false limbs (like the runner)

That way they might figure that they are loosing money by being dopey I mean whats wrong with setting us all off at the start of in a group so we don't get in anyones way

Anyway I think I might be boycotting Sport Mile for the meantime

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Samarka

• In my livingroom!
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 08:20:02 PM »
The mile I'm going to do is hosted at the running track at my work, I'm gonna check if the work people will allow me to run anyway, if not, I'm boycotting and sending the story of how we were banned to every tabloid going.

Offline Biohazard

• The 'Crash Test Dummy'
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 11:21:36 AM »
I like the sound of doing something for Help for Heroes, a lot of my friends support it so I might be able to get some money. Though I would prefer something more than a mile, as that is rather short.