Author Topic: i need help with my calf cuffs  (Read 6798 times)

Offline TOM SAVAGE

i need help with my calf cuffs
« on: February 05, 2010, 02:23:48 AM »
hello fellow bockers =] i recently bought a pair of calf cuffs for my Pjs and i have a rather annoying problem with them, no matter how tight i fasten the bolts that keep the brackets holding the calf cuffs, the inner left one always slips out to the side completely altering the center of balance, and i mean i have tightened them LOTS, but they didnt start as tight as that because i know that you can sometimes nakker in the bracket if they are too tight, i have slowly worked the tightness up and still it slips! what should i do? :

1. get some metal brackets from somewhere
2. get a thin piece of rubber and put it in between the cuff bar thingy and the bracket
 or 3. listen to what all you lovely lot are gonna tell me to do =]

thanks in advance =]

Tom =]
if we stop bouncing, gravity wins!

Offline robinangered

Re: i need help with my calf cuffs
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 09:28:20 AM »
note the larger screw on the left side, and the smaller on the right (inner side).

same screw on the inner side would be dangerous when you run and legs going against each other rarely, but sometimes

Check the link  :Cbiggrin: http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/2901/img1054t.jpg

Offline TOM SAVAGE

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 01:49:13 PM »
oh i dont have to worry about those at all, ive got the new calf cuff model and they dont have those, all the bolts are inside and held together by good ol' fashioned witchery, the problem is the bar, it goes from:

|..|
to
|../

yes i know the diagrams are excellent, (and the bars arent straight thats just the only way i could think of showing peeps whats going on :P)

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 02:04:42 PM »
Hi,
What Gen projumps do you have?
http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1578.0

Are the brackets you are using the originals that came on the stilts?

I know what the problem is but it is unusual to see it on projumps. The plastic brackets usually work with the cuffs. It's a common problem with people using classic powerisers and 7's. That's why 7's released the metal bracket and poweriser pro's come with them. the plastic is much weaker on them.

you will struggle to find metal brackets anywhere to buy now. Skatehut maybe but if you have new gen projumps and the original bracket on you shouldn't have the problem. Could be you got a dodgey or older bracket somehow.

:spudT:

Offline TOM SAVAGE

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 06:58:13 PM »
i think ive got the V4's but im not 100%  got any ideas on how to fix the problem?:/

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 08:25:13 PM »
I found that if you tighten the bolts untill the plastic brackets just start to deform and that normaly keeps them still

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline TOM SAVAGE

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 08:33:51 PM »
mine still manage to move :S

Offline Chrishead

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 09:13:25 PM »
i had the same problem but i did what jason said and it seemed to work, however after such a long time of use there starting to become loose however its the best and quickest fix however if your having problems the best way to fix it would be to get some metal brackets however i don't know anyone who sells them on there own but you could ask around for anyone selling them second hand.
For Sale: Paracute, Used once, Never opened, Small stain.

Offline TOM SAVAGE

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 01:35:42 PM »
hmmm is there any other way other than buying metal brackets?

Offline TomH999

• http://leedsbockers.webs.com
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 02:55:16 PM »
id recommend buying metal brackets tom, they are the cure to all cuff related problems

Offline Hilly-of-the-Marshes

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 03:10:46 PM »
in the meantime just stick your bars back on mate

Offline Samarka

• In my livingroom!
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 04:06:15 PM »
I'm buying a set from projump in the next month or so, am I going to have the same problem?

Got bocks, backfleep or broken face sometime in the future.....

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 06:28:27 PM »
This is a bit of a mystery to me as Clive Hollie and I had 7 sets of bocks all fitted with calf cuffs and all using Pro-jump plastic brackets (Blue and black ones)

I have recently changed 2 of my pairs for Skip style brackets but only due to wanting them as light as I could bot due to slippage

I always make sure that there is as bigger washer as will fit under the bolt at both ends and I remove the calf pad (the plastic and foam bit) as I find it does nothing and adds weight (maybe this is causing the problem)

I then tighten the bolts until the plastic deforms and the bars don't slip now if 17 stone leaning on them don't move them what will  :Claugh:

Offline TOM SAVAGE

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 12:41:14 AM »
hmmm removing that calf pad thing doesnt sound like a bad idea, i may give it a go...

Offline TOM SAVAGE

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 07:26:28 PM »
ok people ive baught a puncture repair kit and wedged it in between the troublesome bar and its plastic bracket, i didnt use glue or anything, i just wedged all the little rubber bits in, im gunna test it tomorrow and see how it goes, however looking at it tonight i also noticed that my left stilt is actually warped, so i think thats adding to the problem. but anyway if you know of anyone with a set of metal brackets up for sale please contact me somehow and let me know caus i think what ive done isnt gonna last long :P

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 08:38:58 PM »
Normally the stilts don't warp but can be straightened by loosening all the main bolts and pulling the frame into shape as all the bolt holes are deliberately made slightly oversize

You can use the string band and hook in this link to check if they are straight

http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2337.0

I straighten my bocks after changing a spring or replacing any bearing bolt