Author Topic: Duct tape, Or gorrilla tape? the answer is surprising!  (Read 5215 times)

Offline bockintheUSA

Duct tape, Or gorrilla tape? the answer is surprising!
« on: December 19, 2009, 02:08:47 AM »
I was wondering, what type of tape is the best to tape your springs. Specifically between duct tape, and gorilla tape. So I decided to do a test of my own! I took duct tape and layered it on top of itself 6 times, so six layers. I did this EXACT same thing with gorilla tape and the difference was mind-blowing. :Cerr: and the winner is.....Gorilla tape! Its far more tough, thick, and higher quality! Gorilla tape was THREE TIMES THICKER!!! Not only that but it provided the very sleek look we all love, it also gave so much padding that I bet in 4 layers, the tape could've protected the spring better than most electrical tape! So in the end FORGET DUCT TAPE!!! Gorilla tape is the way to go all around! Not only that but......ITS CHEAPER!!!!! Thats right! A quality purchase! I will try to post pictures as soon as possible!
Bock big or bock home

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
Re: Duct tape, Or gorrilla tape? the answer is surprising!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 11:25:29 AM »
Both tapes are fine but I would suggest you wrap the spring in clingfilm first as both are a nightmare to get off if you need to (when it gets damaged)

Still prefer to wrap my springs in second hand bicycle inner tubes and then use cheap packing tape on top (Never had a spring damaged that way and costs very little)

But I must admit Gorilla/Gaffer tape looks neater and Gaffer does come in some wonderful colours (even camo)

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline ricky35

• Welsh Bockers
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 12:21:44 PM »
Both tapes are fine but I would suggest you wrap the spring in clingfilm first as both are a nightmare to get off if you need to (when it gets damaged)

I should have done that to my old PR springs  :Claugh: it minging and very sticky and icky getting the tape off  :Ctwitcy:
<a href="http://www.welshbockers.co.uk/signature.swf" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.welshbockers.co.uk/signature.swf</a>

Offline bockintheUSA

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 04:43:47 PM »
Yeah haha im just deciding between tapes and probably going to test gaffer tape, hockey tape and many others. I may even do a damage test
Bock big or bock home

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 06:42:08 PM »
In your gaffa/gorilla comparison you used 6 layers of each. Obv, gorilla tape would win, But it also costs much more than gaffa tape so I would be curious to know which works best in terms of cost opposed to layers so for example putting £1 worth of gorilla and gaffa and then seeing which provides the most protection then.

:spudT:

Offline Hotdog

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 09:06:03 AM »
I dont know if Im allowed to link to this site but I did a Yahoo search and found this on a different forum.
http://pp/forum/modifying_powerisers/how_to_cover_springs_with_tape-t6461.0.html;msg106590
Anyone know if it's any good  :Ceek:

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 01:59:34 PM »
Can't link to PP, links get immediately switched to ones that don't work.

Offline bockintheUSA

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 06:22:41 PM »
yeah cant see it haha  :Cmad:
Bock big or bock home