Author Topic: Differences between Air Trekkers and Powerisers?  (Read 21404 times)

Offline DreamingWolf

• My Myspace
Differences between Air Trekkers and Powerisers?
« on: December 07, 2009, 09:51:31 PM »
Hello everyone! Recently I bought a pair of Air Trekkers - Extreme, for my weight category of course. Two days after purchasing them, I came across an entire world of brands that threw me for a loop.

From what I've heard, Powerisers have stiffer springs but stronger frames, and Air Trekkers are durable, affordable and not meant for heavy tricks. Pro-Jumps seem to me exclusive to the UK (I'm in the USA), but apparently they're good. I'm not sure what's true or false anymore.

So with that in mind, can anyone tell me which brand is the best of the best? What's the differences between the makes?

(I weigh 140 and I bought the M70 model, which is suitable for people who weigh 133-155 pounds)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 10:08:51 PM by DreamingWolf »
Teach me and I will learn, show me and I will see, hear me and I speak, give me hope.... and I will change the world.

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
Re: Differences between Air Trekkers and Powerisers?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 09:59:06 PM »
post a pix of what u bought , tell us wot is your weight,  tell us wot country u r in

then  you may get real answers 2 real questions  :Csmile: 

Offline DreamingWolf

• My Myspace
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 10:08:04 PM »
Here's a pic:

I weigh 140 pounds and I bought the M70s (suitable for people who weigh 133-155). I'm from the USA. =)
Teach me and I will learn, show me and I will see, hear me and I speak, give me hope.... and I will change the world.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 10:24:46 PM »
Hi there.
Firstly, don't read too much into what people say on these forums about bocks. Every set of bocks on the market have their pro's and cons. If you stay clear of skyrunners (because of the variable quality) you will get a decent set of first time bocks. The problem with what is said on these forums is that a lot of opinion gets portrayed as fact.

Firstly, what you have bought should be exactly the same as projump+ Both airtrekkers and projumps along with flyjumper, powerstrider ect are all made in the same factory. Projumps are available all over europe. You can also buy powerstriders in the UK but powerstriders cost more which has made projump the better option. They also have awesome customer service but price is the deciding factor usually :D

Your airtrekkers have a very good frame. I can't personally compare but there is no evidence to suggest that poweriser frames are any better. In fact, recent previous versions have had some problems. Those who have tried both suggest that poweriser springs are harder to master, but eventually, with perfect technique, give great height. I use projumps and I love the springs, give good height too.

Powerisers tend to be more popular in the US. I think they might work out cheaper since they discounted the price on them earlier this year.

You got a great first pair of bocks. Infact, I would say they are the ideal first pair. As I said, each set has there pro's and cons. One of the cons on the stilts you have are the bushings. they are plastic and wear down quite fast. It would do you good to get some silicone spray and spray all the joints quickly everytime you use them ;) and tape the springs ;) and make some tiresocks or something like MK3 hoofies too lol!

lol, yep, they are the same as PJ+

:spudT:

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 10:54:45 PM »
well its all over.....the fat lady sang.......just go have fun try to find others near u   where in us r u?  for advice help in us  pm XS   he is 'the beans'

dont hit moi spud xx

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 11:27:56 PM »
dont hit moi spud xx
I'll think about it   :Cbiggrin:

Offline DreamingWolf

• My Myspace
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 11:55:20 PM »
Hi there.
Firstly, don't read too much into what people say on these forums about bocks. Every set of bocks on the market have their pro's and cons. If you stay clear of skyrunners (because of the variable quality) you will get a decent set of first time bocks. The problem with what is said on these forums is that a lot of opinion gets portrayed as fact.

Firstly, what you have bought should be exactly the same as projump+ Both airtrekkers and projumps along with flyjumper, powerstrider ect are all made in the same factory. Projumps are available all over europe. You can also buy powerstriders in the UK but powerstriders cost more which has made projump the better option. They also have awesome customer service but price is the deciding factor usually :D

Your airtrekkers have a very good frame. I can't personally compare but there is no evidence to suggest that poweriser frames are any better. In fact, recent previous versions have had some problems. Those who have tried both suggest that poweriser springs are harder to master, but eventually, with perfect technique, give great height. I use projumps and I love the springs, give good height too.

Powerisers tend to be more popular in the US. I think they might work out cheaper since they discounted the price on them earlier this year.

You got a great first pair of bocks. Infact, I would say they are the ideal first pair. As I said, each set has there pro's and cons. One of the cons on the stilts you have are the bushings. they are plastic and wear down quite fast. It would do you good to get some silicone spray and spray all the joints quickly everytime you use them ;) and tape the springs ;) and make some tiresocks or something like MK3 hoofies too lol!

lol, yep, they are the same as PJ+

Some excellent help there, thanks so much for taking the time to reply! So if I may ask, what exactly are the "bushings"? Is there a way I could possibly replace them with brass? I'm new to stilting so I wouldn't know how to tape the springs either. I'll grab some silicone though and use it on the joints as you suggested.

well its all over.....the fat lady sang.......just go have fun try to find others near u   where in us r u?  for advice help in us  pm XS   he is 'the beans'

I'm in Virginia, a little town called Floyd (Near Roanoke and Christiansburg).

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 12:08:45 AM »
Some excellent help there, thanks so much for taking the time to reply! So if I may ask, what exactly are the "bushings"? Is there a way I could possibly replace them with brass? I'm new to stilting so I wouldn't know how to tape the springs either. I'll grab some silicone though and use it on the joints as you suggested.
Bushings are the sections in the joints that stop the frame rubbing against itself and facilitate movement. They look like this:

As for taping the springs... Grab yourself a roll of electrical tape/gaffer tape/hockey tape, and simply wrap it in layers around your spring. About 2-3 layers of the thick stuff should do, 5-6 with electrical tape.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 12:18:44 AM »
No problem. Taping the springs is easy. Get some gaffa tape, electrical tape, hockey tape and wrap it around the springs for protection. It's easy to knock the springs together and damage the spring as the cover is a little on the thin side. Alternatively you can put a bike inner tube around them and tape on top of it too or make tire armor:
http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2963.0

haha, I explained bushings and used the same pic as sprog. Sprog. I.Hate.You :D

And yeah, you can replace bushings with brass but you have to make them yourself. The mod god known as jason on here made his own. Check out the thread. Sounds pretty tricky. I'm not sure us mere mortals are up to it :D
http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=826.0

I personally like the plastic ones. They are cheap, last if you look after them and dont wear the frame at all.

Offline DreamingWolf

• My Myspace
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 12:44:07 AM »
Awesome!! You guys have been such a huge help! I'll probably end up using the inner tube, I'm a big fan of the rebounding rubber idea. It absorbs shock much better, as my iPod can clearly say for itself.

I can see where the plastic bushes would have their pros and cons, but if you do as Jason did you'd pretty much be set up for life as far as they go. Either way I'll skip that step and settle for the plastic during my training.

Well, I'm all excited now..... they arrive tomorrow! Wish me luck guys!

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 01:05:40 AM »
Ooh, you haven't got them yet. If you can eat least tape the springs before you go out on them. Most of the damage happens in the first few hours while you find your feet a little. I'd put tire socks high on the mod list too.

Have fun and also wear pads!! Wristguards minimum.

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 02:06:16 AM »
haha, I explained bushings and used the same pic as sprog. Sprog. I.Hate.You :D
ILY2 ;)

Well, I'm all excited now..... they arrive tomorrow! Wish me luck guys!
Good luck! :Claugh:

wear pads!! Wristguards minimum.
Wristguards and kneepads!

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 02:32:12 AM »
wear pads!! Wristguards minimum.
Wristguards and kneepads!

I totally agree actually. I do elbow too coz then when I fall I just slide :D

Damn that's bad english and I cba to fix it :D

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 07:42:59 PM »
You all have such complicated names for things

my vocabulary consists of
Actual word                   My words
All makes of stilts                         My weird jumpy things
Bushings                                     bits that hold my weird jumpy things together
Knee Pads                                   Knee no breaky devices
Elbow Pads                                  Elbow no breaky devices
Helmet                                        Anti head bump device
Wrist guard                                 Wrist breaky device
Gaffer Tape                                 Pretty spring device

See my way is so much easier... Explains the thing in seconds and no one gets confused :P

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 07:55:11 PM »
That would only be true if your words were correct. If you think your bushings hold your stilts together try taking the bolts out :P

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 07:59:17 PM »
Lol, O well...
The Bushings kinda do, they stop the bolts rattling around and being to loose... thus hold it together :P

DC

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 08:08:33 PM »
You can't wriggle out of it :P you should just call them stop the holdy togethery things from rattling about things

:P

Offline DreamingWolf

• My Myspace
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 12:37:39 AM »
Woot! Okay so I got them and I was able to walk across my room (hardwood floors) within 10 minutes. I guess that's a start.

I'm having trouble with pain though. As you can see from the photo I posted, the Extremes have "side bars" that fan out from the back. They keep digging into the prominent side bones of my kneecap area, does this mean they're too high? 'Cause the pain hurts BAD.

For that matter, I don't really know how to adjust the bars for the Extreme since the included instructions had illustrations for the knee bar instead of mine.

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 12:48:37 AM »
I'm having trouble with pain though. As you can see from the photo I posted, the Extremes have "side bars" that fan out from the back. They keep digging into the prominent side bones of my kneecap area, does this mean they're too high? 'Cause the pain hurts BAD.

For that matter, I don't really know how to adjust the bars for the Extreme since the included instructions had illustrations for the knee bar instead of mine.
I assume you mean the bars for the calf cuffs. You can adjust them exactly the same as the kneebars, just undo the 4 bolts so the brackets are loosened (but not so much they fall off), and then fiddle around with them until they are in a position you feel comfortable with. In fact, it's the first thing you should have done ideally.
I'd advise doing it whilst sat down, so you can effectively wear the bocks and then adjust them without falling over. They take a fair bit of fiddling to get right, but once they're in the right spot, they're great. Then, mark off on the bars the height, and where they line up on the point where the frame meets the brackets. Then if you ever have a hard fall and smash the cuffs round (do-able with the smooth-edge brackets, both plastic and metal, when they're put under excess force), you can just line them back up into place, rather than faffing around for hours trying to fix them.

Offline DreamingWolf

• My Myspace
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 12:57:04 AM »

I assume you mean the bars for the calf cuffs. You can adjust them exactly the same as the kneebars, just undo the 4 bolts so the brackets are loosened (but not so much they fall off), and then fiddle around with them until they are in a position you feel comfortable with. In fact, it's the first thing you should have done ideally.
I'd advise doing it whilst sat down, so you can effectively wear the bocks and then adjust them without falling over. They take a fair bit of fiddling to get right, but once they're in the right spot, they're great. Then, mark off on the bars the height, and where they line up on the point where the frame meets the brackets. Then if you ever have a hard fall and smash the cuffs round (do-able with the smooth-edge brackets, both plastic and metal, when they're put under excess force), you can just line them back up into place, rather than faffing around for hours trying to fix them.

Well I did adjust them, but I'm not sure where I should adjust them to. Above, below or around the center of the knee?

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 01:23:11 AM »
About 1.5" below the bottom of your kneecap is a good place to start :)

This might help:
http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2643.0

Offline DreamingWolf

• My Myspace
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 06:14:25 AM »
I found my problem, I had the knee straps turned completely backwards xD

EDIT: So far so good! I can now run in the stilts (although sometimes I trip), hop on one foot, hop on both feet but not very high, and if I alternate my feet in jumps I can get some nice air. I don't think I'll be doing flips anytime soon, but I was able to walk a mile before feeling any serious effects of exhaustion. One thing's for sure, I'll sleep well tonight!

So here's another question: Should I be able to bend my knees completely without interference from the knee strap, or is that normal?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 03:03:23 AM by DreamingWolf »