Author Topic: Alternative spring protection?  (Read 9020 times)

Offline Biohazard

• The 'Crash Test Dummy'
Alternative spring protection?
« on: October 11, 2009, 09:46:26 AM »
I am wanting to find an alternative to tire socks/taping to protect my springs as taping just doesn't protect them well enough and tire socks end up being quite expensive/a lot of effort involved.
So are there any suggestions?

Offline clive

• Elite Member
  • jump as high as you can ,,worry about the landing
Re: Alternative spring protection?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 10:03:10 AM »
best person for you to chat with is jason,,what he dont know is not worth knowing,, he will give you the best ideas and ways

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 03:23:51 PM »
2 options

1. get some foam, like what you put round copper pipes, and just tape round that whilst its on the spring, works very well.
2. put string round the spring, pull it very tight. do this 2-3 times and it will be amazing strong, also nilon works. (Think its called splicing)

Hope these help

DC

Offline Athoul

• PJF Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 03:28:36 PM »
I still think bike inner tubes protect the springs pretty well, either cut it, wrap it around and tape it into place or take the spring off and slide it on.

If you want more protection use 2 inner tubes on top of each other.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 03:54:42 PM »
Agreed with athoul, bike innertubes work very well. However, about 7 layers of alternating electrical/gaffer tape work damn well too.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 09:02:05 PM »
Yep Gotta be old bike inner tubes I do all mine like that (cut open lengthwise and spiral wrapped round the spring) then covered with packing tape or similar and I have never had a spring damaged in two and a half years

The other advantage is if you ask your local bike repair shop they will normally give you the old punctured ones free

Wrapping cord round anything the way you describe is called Whipping
Splicing is when you join two ropes (or twines) together by unraveling and threading through each other

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 09:48:51 PM »
Wrapped mine in old bike inner tube Friday night, took about half hour, secured with black insulation tape. Looks industrial and is as tough as old bikes! :Csmile:

Growing OLD is compulsory. Growing UP is optional. OPT OUT!

Offline Biohazard

• The 'Crash Test Dummy'
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 09:51:50 PM »
I decided to take the plunge and spent 6-8 hours(tools were scarce) on making some tire socks, might put some pic's up tomorrow to show of both them and my new stilts

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 10:10:20 PM »
6 to 8 hours!!! what were you doing? growing the tyres??? LOL :Ctwitcy:

Growing OLD is compulsory. Growing UP is optional. OPT OUT!

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 10:56:13 PM »
No one ver takes my crummy ideas :p
they are both cheap and easy, and take 10mins tops

O well... have to submit them to Art Attack if its still running, they will appreciate my fine talents

DC

Offline daftbat

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 12:31:16 PM »
2 options

1. get some foam, like what you put round copper pipes, and just tape round that whilst its on the spring, works very well.
2. put string round the spring, pull it very tight. do this 2-3 times and it will be amazing strong, also nilon works. (Think its called splicing)

Hope these help

DC
Dark-castles2 a number of Yellow Belly Bockers already use foam. Once cut in half it is justa case of taping it onto the spring. I've seen Dark Knight banging his up a wall and not worry the foam really is a good idea. Makes your spring three times as thick which look odd next to a normal spring LOL

Offline DeadlyDonkey

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 09:39:22 AM »
Just done some lightweight additions to mine, 3 layers of duck tape (one on the left side, one on the right then one down the middle) then tied 2 lengths of electrical earth sleeving (3-4mm hollow tubing) together at top and bottom  to make application easier, hooked top over the top spring bracket, and taped at bottom before the metal foot. run finger down the middle of the 2 tubes to separate them out sideways. Re apply tape as before to complete the sandwich of the tubes and tape.

Hopefully the tape will provide scuff protection where the tubes make a cushion to protect from impacts.

I suspect thin foam like laminate floor underlay would work just as well as a layer between tape and wouldn't add too much bulk.

Remains to be seen how long the tape holds for, certainly tough enough as i have a wallet made out of it, a ipod case and an ipad cover too.

Offline Quothcorvus

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 12:27:29 PM »
Has anyone tried using "Funky Foam" to help protect the springs at all?

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 06:20:15 PM »
would some mega big heat shrink sleeving work?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 08:32:16 PM »
Yep it would Locky  :Cbiggrin:

Try searching for it though and look at the price  :Claugh:

About 2 years ago I had a look and at the time one place was charging so much for a 60 mm x 1mtr length that it would have been cheeper to buy new springs  :Claugh: (or gold plate them for protection  :Cbiggrin:)

But if you can find it at a good price for some really heavy duty stuff I would love to get some

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline binop9

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 02:00:16 AM »
so if the last post aint over kill then i guess mine is lol

And PROUD OF IT :) lol

I have custom cut Zagg Skins ( stuff used on Helicopter Rotors to stop chipping and also phones .. ) on the springs with home altered high pressure tubing ( used to pump up a 2 ton air jack from either a pump or car exhaust  ) with 1 layer of duct tape and then coloured twine ( 450 winds Per stilt lol ) on top with a small amount of black electrial tape holing the twine in place and its never damaged a set of springs since i had them. plus the twine makes it comfy to hold while carrying or grabbing the springs while doing tricks and not having to cut your hands on the zip ties that tyre armor is mostly held on with ( yes i know some people out there also use shoe laces and bits of old rope lol ) but its a lot better and also design-able if you let your mind go blank and then wild :)

Zagg Skins cost me about £50 for the 1 off's
tubing was free as i err had it already.
twine was about £10 as i got different colours
and tape was about £1.50 if that

well worth the cost.. as it is better to over protect it then pay a cheap amount for it then have it break and have to the replace it then get it protected again via a cheap means..

pics will be on here asap. Promise. ( they will be of the finished item as dont want to take apart ( if it aint broke dont tamper with it is never more true then here lol )

Chris - Binop9
Never Underestimate The Power Of Stupid People in Large Groups...

Offline noob

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 07:52:16 PM »
try this there is a website with a more detailed tutorial but i forgot wat it was called.
http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4626.0

hope this helps
noob
Noob
i am wat it says on the tin

Offline noob

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 07:56:23 PM »
this is it  :Csmile:
http://www.stiltmodz.com/

noob
Noob