Author Topic: Pain from Bouncing  (Read 11584 times)

Offline TheGingerThreat

Pain from Bouncing
« on: August 29, 2009, 06:54:46 AM »
Hi all. It's my third day with my new lifemates and I have incurred some serious back pains from bouncing. It happens a little bit with bouncing on one leg and running but it's really bad when I try to bounce on both legs. I have read through everything I could see on the forum about jumping and tried keeping my back and legs straight and putting weight on my heels and it may have helped a bit but still hurts like mad. I heard passing mention of "bocker back" but I'm not sure if this is the same thing as I never heard it explained. The pain occurs between my shoulder-blades and it is really preventing me from progressing so any help or advise would be welcome.

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
Re: Pain from Bouncing
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 07:40:16 AM »
I know if your new to the sport you wont want to do this but its the same as anything, just relax. Its helping build up all your muscles so its going to hurt for about 2-3 days. but after that your back should not hurt. So try keeping of your Bocks.
Hope this helps.

DC

Offline TheGingerThreat

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 07:45:15 AM »
I figured that it might just be muscles getting strained that haven't been used much before but it seems like everyone has gotten pain in their lower back rather than between the shoulders and that is mostly what concerns me. Also, would it be most expedient to the improvement process to just lay off bocking altogether for a few days or to keep jogging a bit each day with no serious jumping so that the muscles continue to get a regular workout but not get overly stressed?

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 07:50:30 AM »
Dunno, its your decision really. I dont run or jog so i can't really say from experience. But id say just rest for today and tonight see how you are in the morning and then go from there

DC

Offline TheGingerThreat

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 07:54:14 AM »
That's probably the best thing I suppose, though the hardest to do with so much enthusiasm coursing through me  :Cwink:  Thanks DC.

Offline Athoul

• PJF Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 11:04:26 AM »
Make sure you are standing up straight when your bouncing.

If your leaning over looking at the floor every time your jumping i wouldn't at all be surprised if you have sore shoulders.
Its basically the opposite of straining your neck looking up at something for a long time.

Just take a break for a day or two until you feel fit and then get back out there and make sure your posture is good, when your jumping and generally running about always try and look at a point say 30yards in front of you rather than looking down to find out where your feet are going to land.

Hope this helps
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 11:14:39 AM »
I had a very similar pain a while back and it was'nt bockers back (had that when I started and it's lower to mid back pain normaly)

Mine was just above my shoulder blades and could be better described as very low neck pain (the area called whithers on a horse is exactly where it was)

Best way to find it is that lump on your backbone between the top of your shoulders

I thought it was because I was looking down and tried to look up more (it seemed to go if I bocked regularly but return if I had a break of more that 3 days and then came back to bocking)

Finaly went to a Chiropractor and found out that it was a very old neck injury that had almost imobalised my neck for 20+ years (I had'nt even realized something was wrong)

Half a dozen sesions later it had gone and has never returned (and I can look over my shoulder when driving  :Claugh:makes life much safer)

Bocking tends to make you use bits that you don't normally so sometimes it can show up injurys that would normally remain hidden

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline TheGingerThreat

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 09:14:43 PM »
I don't think it could be just sore shoulders from looking down 'cause I only looked down when I was jumping on both feet and it was hurting from the first time I did it and I didn't do enough of it to make my muscles sore I think. Besides, it's not the shoulders that are sore, it's between the shoulder blades around my spine. Unfortunately, I think the most likely explanation is that it is an injury that has been there for some time and simply hasn't been noticed up to now, as Jason said. It did show up a bit when I was practicing front flips on the ground but it wasn't nearly as bad there, I suspect because I was jumping from the front of my foot there whereas on the PJs all of the impact goes straight up the spine. I was really hoping for a simpler solution but I guess I'll have to go see my doctor sometime soon to check it out. I'm really afraid of finding out that I'll never be able to reach my potential in the sport because of this  :Cfrown:

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 09:20:13 PM »
Have you tryed just relaxing your neck when jumping, i know it sounds stupid but when people jump they tighten up neck muscles and look down. keep legs straight look forward and just relax. And maybe strech your neck muscles before you start bouncing(dont hurt yourself though)

DC

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 10:01:08 PM »
I agree with you about a Doc visit mate just to find out if it is anything really serious but don't just stop there if the Doc says no your fine as I have had several things that docs have said "Rest it and it will be fine" and then it comes back every time I start up again

I really can't recommend Chiropractors enough as I have now got a reason for most of my aches and pains and exercises to help them improve (not to mention all the dietry advice I got for free)

Just for instance once she had cured my lower neck problem I mentioned that I was in pain with my knees when I squat (Yes old age was my first thought  :Claugh:) but she gave me a simple stretch (like the one runners do in the park) to stretch some bits in the front of my legs and I can now almost bounce on my haunches without pain

Just read the above through and sounds like a chiropractor advert  :Claugh: honest I'm not a chiropractor  :Claugh:

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 10:04:37 PM »
Ooo, Jason can you give me some advise aswell, ive kept of my Bocks for 2 days due to bockers back, but i need to be better by monday as im going to a meet, any sujestions? (cant spell) thanks

DC

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 10:19:28 PM »
I think you guys would be surprised at how much difference looking up can make here. If you are looking down its not just your neck that has moved to do this but your whole spine will be curved slightly. It is very important too look ahread to keep your spine straight.

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 10:27:19 PM »
if you r getting back pain and r a seasoned and regular bocker, then Id say go see a doc or other medical professional.

4 beginners, yes its using bits of the body in new and different ways thats straining things. It would be the same if you took up, oo say, canoeing for the 1st time. You wil leave the water exhausted and pretty soon your body will be only on 'screaming terms' with your brain. So you leave a day or 2 for things to heal un tuffen. Its the same in a gym, you work legs..rest them and work chest...rest....

Warmup exercise would help a great deal, tho no1 ever seems to do um.  But think of the warm up exersives 1 does be for a football or rugby match or an aerobics leason. Think about it  , strapping 8-9Kg of metal un glass/carbon fibre to the legs then vigorously jumping about. Dont you think a few stretches might b in order?  Un hey a few min cool down at end of meet/session?  Yep I know   no street cred d'oh hehe.

Basically,  warm up un cool down exercises  will help a great deal......but ya no gona do um

Offline Trixter

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Leapfrog Expert
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 10:29:02 PM »
bounce thru it will all be fine

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 10:33:52 PM »
bounce thru it will all be fine

Im a quarter of a century on from u :Ccry:, honest, unfortunatly its not so easy this end :Cswoon:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 10:37:55 PM »
Lay on your back and bring your right leg up and across you stomach
Keep your shoulder blades on the ground and put your left hand on your knee
Now gently pull your knee across while keeping your other leg straight

This will stretch the big muscles in you back and rotate your spine to ease any stiffness

Repeat with your left leg and then do it all again a few times

Go gently until you know your limits and it should ease a lot of the tightness in your back

Also works for sciatica (I can't spell either  :Claugh:)

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 10:54:41 PM »
Hehe! Dr jason!

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 01:39:51 AM »
Hehe! Dr jason!

MMM Im kinda thinking 'nurse' Jason, is that wrong?   OOOO Matron

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 01:41:31 AM »
Lol i was thinking mid-wife Jason but didnt want to comment :p o wait i just did....

Sorry Jason

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 11:36:26 AM »
If I'm going to be medical it will be

Mr Jason (think I could get into surgery  :Claugh:) at least you can bury your mistakes  :Cbiggrin:

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2009, 01:36:08 PM »
:O taking a stick at the dead and medcine Jason :p

DC

Offline TheGingerThreat

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 12:45:09 AM »
Again, I doubt it is a matter of sore muscles because (as I said before) I'm pretty sure it hurt from the first time I did a double-leg bounce and I have not done it much because of that so it is unlikely to be from looking down. I'm not saying it's impossible, I will try again with proper form in mind after my short rest period but I doubt it is these things. For the record I have stretched rather thoroughly before every session on my bocks. I was in competitive gymnastics for five years as a kid so I know how important it is. That being said, I would love to hear what stretches the chiropractor recommended for you, Jason, to help with your back/neck problems. It may not be the same for me but it couldn't hurt. Open invitation to anyone else who has suggestions for good stretches for the upper back as well. I'll take all the help I can get. I will also see about visiting a chiropractor if it comes to that. Thanks again for all the great responses guys.

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 12:51:29 AM »
Jason already holds a Doctorate in Bocking like me, we are the bock docs! :Claugh:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 08:50:09 PM »
Praise indeed Sprog Thankyou  :Cbiggrin:

The Chiropractor did a lot of work on my upper back and neck (involved lots of cracking sounds  :Claugh:) but once she had eased it a bit she gave me some stretches that involved my neck

1st one was to sit upright and place both hands on the back of your head then let your head roll forward and gently stretch by pulling your hands down

2nd one was similar but sit on your right hand and put your left hand over the top of your head to touch your right ear tip let your head roll slowly to the left and forwards (it feels natural at the right angle) and again stretch by pulling gently down with the left hand
Then reverse hands so you sit on your left hand etc

Hold both for about 20 seconds and repeat a few times a day

But I would go and see the pro as all people differ and it does sound like you have a problem

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 09:19:01 PM »
I want to see this certificate :D

DC