Author Topic: Another Jumping Question  (Read 11070 times)

Offline Dudeman5000

Another Jumping Question
« on: August 19, 2009, 11:34:19 PM »
Hey guys!

Got my bocks yesterday and I love em! I can walk, run, jog and jump on one foot, but I'm having trouble with jumpimg on two feet.

See, when I'm landing on two feet, a lot of the force goes to my back, leaving me feeling winded, even now I still feel it, and I've been on solid groud for two hours.

Will you need a vid, or can you diagnose from my description?

Thanks!
Chris

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
Re: Another Jumping Question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 11:58:19 PM »
Sounds like something we call Bocker Back but ive never heard of it winding people. you may need to see a doctor and just get advise on why it happening. It is proberly nothing though and you may just need some rest as Bocking uses alot of muscles.

Im new to it aswell and im feeling pain all over, its common.

And with the Jumping try start of really small and work your way up, gets easier as time goes on.

DC

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 12:04:38 AM »
You're probably leaning back or forwards too much. Try and keep your back straight, and look infront of you, not at the floor.
You will get some back pain as DC said, but it definately sounds like you're leaning too much. A side-view video would be appreciated though, as then we can tell better :)

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 12:09:32 AM »
And if you feel like falling over on grass dont hold your neck still you get mild whip lash, Hurts! :Ctongue:

DC

Offline Dudeman5000

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 12:21:08 AM »
Ok, I'll try keeping a straight back, and if that dosn't work, I'll get the tripod out lol!

Thanks!

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 08:04:33 PM »
Think I have seen this one before

Are you keeping your legs straight when you jump because I watched a guy who was bending his knees as he jumped and he winded himself every time

You have to keep your legs straight and push down into your heels when you start jumping

It is possible to jump with your legs bent but only when you build enough muscle to lift cars with your legs  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 08:06:59 PM »
you not supposed to bend your knee's then, cus i do and my legs are just starting to acke. i cant seem to keep my legs straight.

But i get loads of height whilst bending my legs.

DC

Offline Dudeman5000

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 03:34:04 PM »
OK Guys, something's seriously wrong...

I went out today for the first time in two days, and putting ANY force on either of my feet KILLED my back :(

What's going on?!?  :Ccry:

Could it be that the muscles are only getting used to being used, as the only excercize I take is cycling?

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 04:54:05 PM »
Could it be that the muscles are only getting used to being used, as the only excercize I take is cycling?

you just answered your own question, unless you're doing something seriously wrong, or have serious back problems, then they just need time to get used to it

Offline Dudeman5000

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
I talked to my Dad and he said that I could have pulled a rib muscle or put a d**k out of place.

Sound realistic to you guys?

If it IS just the muscles, do you reccomend taking a break, or just taking it easy on them?

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 06:00:09 PM »
Ive dont pretty much the same thing and i also managed to break a rib... More than possible if your not used to working thoses muslces

DC

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 06:39:02 PM »
Give yourself a rest from jumping for a while but you can still walk and jog on them

You will know when you want to start jumping again (it won't hurt  :Claugh:) if it still does seek help

I did have a problem with my neck in that if I stopped jumping for a few weeks and started again it caused me to have a sharp pain at the base of my neck
I went to a Chiropractor (not an osteopath) and she has sorted out loads of problems as well as the stiff neck so that might be worth a vist

Bit dear for the first time as it is an hour of checking and finding out what you need £60 but the follow up visits are only £28 and worth every penny

I had no movement in my neck before I went (didn't even realize) and I had a partially dislocated shoulder both are now much better

Offline TomH999

• http://leedsbockers.webs.com
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 09:11:13 PM »
When i first started to jump properly I strained my chest muscles, that really hurt when i tryed to jump,but in most cases you just need to give it time to rest and heal.

I think it will evetually become natural to when you start to bounce because you will relax more.

youve onli have your stilts how many days now...3-4?

I started to bounce on two feet in about my 2nd to 3rd week in having them, that was after i had fully mastered how to learn to walk and keep my balanceproperly.

like i said it will become natural and you will be able to do it..

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 09:31:29 PM »
Isnt it normal to be bouncing on your first day then? Suppose my skateboarding helped me :)

DC

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 09:44:44 PM »
No lol. Or only about 2 inches :Claugh:

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 09:46:13 PM »
Well there was that vid i posted of a split kick on my second day and that was about 2-3 foot :p

DC

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 08:32:57 PM »
I can see a beut of a fall coming DC  :Claugh:

You must be naturaly gifted so I spose you'll be back flipping next week and barani's next month  :Claugh:

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 02:11:36 PM »
Fat chance Jason, i went to the a meet yesterday and they told me i was bouncing wrong :D
Meh... ill have to practise

DC

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 08:54:25 PM »
If your getting 3ft and not in pain how can you be bouncing wrong  :Claugh:
Your just doing it differently  :Cbiggrin:

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 09:19:56 PM »
Im not bouncing at all now my hoof fell off :(
But sinced i straightened my legs ive been getting more height, :D
and am jumping heigher :)

DC

Offline Soulsmith

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2009, 01:19:04 AM »
Make sure not to flail your arms behind you. Causes your back to bend, which compacts on landing, and as shown by dark-castle, hurts.

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2009, 06:47:53 PM »
LOl, im better now and i can jump stupidly high. i have a pic f me doing a split kick next to a double decker bus and me almost clearing the first floor, got scared though. was very high and i keep my arms paralel to my body now ;) no back pains

Offline TheGingerThreat

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2009, 09:18:43 PM »
Hey Dude. I had a lot of pain in my upper back from bouncing on my first couple days too. I got really worried that I had a serious back injury but I took the advice of some of the people on here and layed off the bocking for a few days and also focused on fixing my posture. Just yesterday I got back on them and was able to bounce around with much less pain. It is possible that it's something serious but I would suggest just resting for 3 days (use the time to fix your posture if it's bad) and then trying again with all the tips for proper form in mind. Look straight ahead, keep your back straight, put the weight into your heels when you hit the ground, and keep your legs straight when you hit the ground. If it doesn't feel significantly better after the break then visit a physician 'cause you don't want to make it any worse if it is serious. There's a 2 page thread of my panic attack in the Ouch I hurt Myself... section titled "Pain from Bouncing" if it would make you feel better to see that you're not alone  :Cwink:

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2009, 09:24:52 PM »
The bouncing tutorial from Urbantricker may help

Offline Dudeman5000

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 06:28:20 PM »
Hey guys!

Just wanted to say thanks for all your advice.

It turns out that those muscles just needed to get used to being used! I'm fine now :D