Author Topic: Bocking... making old injuries hurt again???  (Read 5649 times)

Offline RicochetBNB

Bocking... making old injuries hurt again???
« on: June 15, 2009, 08:41:53 AM »
Ok so some of you probably saw my other posts and I mentioned an old skateboarding accident (it happened maybe about 9 or so months ago?).  Well now that I have started bocking (esp. since taking the throw your arms up in the air when jumping advice) my old skateboading shoulder/neck injury is KILLING ME!  I don't know if I actually injured anything, as I never went to the doctor about it, I am assuming since I'm still having trouble now that I did!  But I can't even touch in between my left shoulder to up into my neck, it hurts SO BAD!  I did fall twice Friday, the first from up in the air, straight down on my arse!  Luckily I had made a homemade foam pool noodle buttpad lol, so I didn't hurt my arse but I bruised my left hand and if I had not had on wrist guards I would have a broken wrist no doubt.  Other that that I just scr***ed my elbow a little bit.  And well had to sit for a minute to allow my intestines to fall back out of my throat hahaha!  Second fall I was just getting tired and sorta lost my footing and fell.  

Next day I only got to bock for about 3 minutes because a storm hit.  But now my shoulder is REALLY KILLING ME!!!!!!

What should I do?  I don't want to give up bocking but if my shoulder/neck is already injured I don't think I'll just get used to it like say getting over bockers back, right?  What the heck should I do?  Remember I'm still a newbie so only bouncy still and hurting... I'm a lazy lump lol, sssooo dunno what to do... dunno if I should bock through the pain or chill for a while?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 09:07:25 AM by RicochetBNB »

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
Re: Bocking... making old injuries hurt again???
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 10:28:21 AM »
just let it rest for a while, it's highly likely you haven't used the bocking muscles much (mainly back/shoulders, abs and thighs/knees a bit aswell), so they need to get used to being used

old injuries just make their development worse, like my sprained wrist from my first ever bocking fall, still comes back to haunt me :D

Offline RicochetBNB

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 06:37:05 PM »
Got ya... k... guess I gotta sit out for a while  :Cmask:?!?

Not sure if I'm getting better or not lol?  still dorky!  pink thing in my huge pants is a home made foam pool noodle butt pad btw haha!  Throwing arms up and trying not to bend knees lol - fall - trying to get up!

If anyone cares here is the video...

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 06:42:38 PM »
1) Don't look down, look about 6ft ahead
2) Power down with your arms, not up. You seem to be throwing them up, then letting them fall loosely by your side, this doesn't work. You need to move them up, then really slam them down.
3) Jump on your heels, not the entirety of your feet, and push really hard as you hit the floor. Keep your knees slightly bent, don't lock them, otherwise you'll kill all the bounce (and your back)
4) Stay the hell away from swimming pools
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 06:45:52 PM by sprog »

Offline Tracker

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 06:34:54 PM »
Only being a beginner my self but here my pennies worth. Try and focus on getting the power through the bocks.

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 08:16:38 AM »
Technique : Sprog is spot on it is a bounce not a jump so the effort goes in the downward motion to compress the springs.

Injuries : Not sure what you did or how you did it originally so cannot comment. If it was an external trauma then you may have damaged yourself. At the time some form of massage, pain killers and stretching may have helped mobilise the joint as it healed.

From your post I would suggest that you begin a routine of stretches for about 10/15 mins a day this will give you an understanding of your range of movement and improve it by stretching the affected area.

Also please take some time to stretch and warm up both before getting on your bocks and then gardually build your work once you are on them. This will again allow your muscles to properly warm up and prevent pulls etc. A good warm down and stretching will also help reduce Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS)

If you continue to be in significant pain I would strongly suggest a visit to the doctors and an x-ray of the area concerned.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Bexx

• I need a bock
  • EA Bocker
  • I'VE MOVED!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 09:17:04 AM »

4) Stay the hell away from swimming pools

YES! lol --- watching that video, you were making me nervous next to that swimming pool!!!

------------------------------------
No-Longer down south :(  I will miss london -- but I will be back, oh yes

Offline wickerman123

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 11:12:01 PM »
hmmmm, i agree that resting and warming up/down is good. but if injuries tend to come back i better stay away from bocking for a long time since i broke my leg.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 11:19:45 PM »
You are still growing. Your bones should repair pretty well. Maybe even stronger than before :) Might ache a bit on cold winter days tho :(