Author Topic: Flipping  (Read 5981 times)

Offline Archie L

• EA Bocker
Flipping
« on: May 14, 2009, 07:37:33 PM »
Hey guys, I was just wondering, what's the best way to get flips on bocks?
When I was about 7 or 8, I could easily do back and front flips on a tramp, with lots of room and height left, but one day, I landed on my head, and couldn't breathe properly for days :( I had a trampoline about a year or two ago, and I started trying to do flips again, but i wasn't sure if I had the right technique.. I bounced, got to my highest point, then started my rotation by lunging my head underneath me. I never landed one of them flips, but our trampoline died, after a few months of warning us, all of the springs had died/fallen off.
Now, I'm begging my mum if we can get a tramp, she says they would be a benefit to the whole family, so we could probs get one, and they sell them in Aldi!
 but really, I was just wondering if i had the right technique, and also, any of you lucky people who can do flips on the ground; How high can you jump normally? (keeping your legs straight) And how long did it take you to learn them on the ground / how did you learn / did you/do you do any gymnastics?

It's Cavemen vs. Gentlemen.
It's easier than it loo-
-ouch

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
Re: Flipping
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 08:38:52 PM »
jump up, then use arms/uper body to tuck and rotate, i throw towards the floor then tuck and hold onto my knees for dear life if that helps, though my technique is pretty p**s-poor and i've only landed a couple

pretty much just get in a gym and practice, it's bloody hard to know what you're doing wrong, a video camera helps a lot aswell

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 12:07:59 AM »
Jump, Up, Tuck like F**k

I learnt fronts on a trampoline first, it's different to bocks but it helps you learn the technique you need to get over and land on your feet on the other side.

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 12:39:51 AM »
Jump, Up, Tuck like F**k

:D says Mr. lowflip

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 12:51:09 AM »
I was advising him on the proper way, not the sprog way :Ctongue:

Offline Greggles

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • BOCK IT AND ROCK IT
    • www.eabockers.com
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 09:01:16 AM »
dont lisen to these 2 thay will get u killed XD the propper ways can be found on youtube but the basic principles are jump through your arms back then bring your knees to your chest thats for back tucks and if u want fronts then its jump up then just as you get to the peek of your flip through your arms down (key thing is to start with them by your ears) and push your bum over your head then tuck by bringing your knees to your chest agen thats pritty much the basics is you look up expurt village on you tube they have some pritty good vids and if your still not confident then look at spotting vidios on you tube and get one of your m8s to help you

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 01:59:38 PM »
and also, any of you lucky people who can do flips on the ground;

Meaning, not on bocks? I can answer that one. =)

and also, any of you lucky people who can do flips on the ground; How high can you jump normally? (keeping your legs straight)

aka. Sargent Jump Test or Vertical Jump Test - I have a pretty decent vertical jump, and obviously the higher yours is, the higher your back-tuck can potentially be. But to be honest, if you can jump 2ft (about 60cm) you can land a back tuck... which means most people could land a back-tuck. I'm going with back-tucks because that's the one that best relates to a static vertical jump.

how long did it take you to learn them on the ground / how did you learn / did you/do you do any gymnastics?

The first back flip I ever did was off of a 6-7ft climbing frame in the park. It only took two attempts because after the first bail where I did a 180 twist and landed hard on the grass in a seated position I thought ouch... better land the next one. So I got straight back up, tried again and landed it. Then did a bunch more to make sure I had it. At that height it was a simple case of whipping backwards and spotting the landing. I'd say it took about half an hour.

On flat ground it was harder and took longer to land. I'd say I was trying for at least an hour and a half while my friends were in Tescos cafe. I had a friend spot me twice. Then tried solo over and over again until I landed it. This was on bark. Nice and soft. I bailed lots! lol. But when I finally got it I felt awesome! The great thing about learning outside is you learn fast! You soon become tired of landing on your face on bark or grass, so you try your hardest every time. =)

As others have said. It's a simple case of jumping straight up as high as you can (Do not whip back) and tuck your knees into your chest as tight as you can. Then at about the half way point you can spot your landing in preparation to land. Though I doubt you'll be untucking for a while. Whislt learning you'll probably need to stay tucked all the way round. In a perfect back tuck, you don't look back or whip back. Throwing your arms with your shoulders back - then bringing your knees up is enough to cause the rotation.

At that time I hadn't had any gymnastic experience. Nor did I have a trampoline, so you're already a step ahead. If you have access to a gym or a crashmat go for it! But the point of my long-winded explination was - if you don't have access to such resources don't let that hold you back. Just get a friend to spot you and go for it.

I now go to a gym and the squidgey floor is much friendlier to my even squidgier face! lol. So I do recommend it if you can get it.

The same principles apply on bocks. Only you'll eventually find whips and layouts much easier on them, than on the floor.
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Archie L

• EA Bocker
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 04:25:29 PM »
Thanks for that, Brendan, but is fleeping on bocks harder or easier than not (on bocks) ?
2ft seems quite high to jump......

It's easier than it loo-
-ouch

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 05:08:26 PM »
Hmm, depends what you mean. I don't think you'll ever be able to do true gainers or double backs as easily on bocks as on foot. But just a standard backflip? I'm still in the bailing phase of flips on bocks. lol. But I can already tell that once you have the technique down, it will be easier to do multiple backflips on bocks than on the floor. The potential for injury seems a lot higher though, so I guess it depends on your definition of easier.

Don't worry about the 2ft. I'm not sure how small some of my friends vert jumps are, but they're pretty low, and they can still back-tuck. If you have the technique you don't need incredible power... obviously it's nice to have both.

Just get a mat or a friend to spot you...not like I've seen in some of the vids on here though. Where the friend just throws them over. Makes me cringe every time! You should be confident that you know what you're doing, and only rely on your spotter to give you extra height and save you from nasty bails. You shouldn't rely on them to do the flip for you.
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Archie L

• EA Bocker
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 08:52:52 PM »
Thanks again for the reply, I've checked out a load of flip videos on expert village, saw this amazing video aswell
&NR=1    :Claugh: ,
But i have measured how high i can jump, and it comes in at about a foot and a half, but I can easily clear a 98cm bar (on my feet), with probably about 5-10 cm clearance. Do you think I could do flips? (back or fronts, on feet, not bocks)

It's easier than it loo-
-ouch

Offline TheGingerThreat

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 10:21:04 PM »
Yes, 1 and a half feet is high enough for a flip. Learn front flips first, as the potential for injury is reduced and it is very scary for some people to do back flips. Front flips are fairly safe to try on your own. The most important thing is not to lose your nerve mid-jump and untuck too soon, as that is really the only way you could seriously hurt yourself. First practice running and jumping straight up. Then you can try the flip. Just make sure you jump high and throw your arms down (not immediately, get some height first but things will move very fast) and stay tucked. You will land the first ones on your butt or barely on your feet most likely. It takes time to perfect. Whatever you do do not start with backflips from 5-7 feet off the ground as that is just begging to break something. I can't emphasize enough how beneficial it would be for you to find a gymnastics center that will help you with this. Not only do they have spring floors that are perfect for this sort of thing, they also have foam pits to start you off just getting the rotation down without the landing and a trained coach will be able to tell you everything you need to know about your form as well as spot you properly. Please look into it! And take things one step at a time.