Author Topic: Hi from Kingston, Surrey  (Read 4497 times)

Offline Badger

• old enough to know better
Hi from Kingston, Surrey
« on: April 30, 2009, 05:25:42 PM »
Hi guys,

Hmm was gonna introduce myself but I'll tell you all about my first day out in my bocks... which was today.
Should tell you all you need to know about me, lol!

Well after a week languishing in their box while I slowly died of flu, I felt well enough to for a stroll in my "nearly new" bocks. (Powerisers, not projumps... what do I know eh?)
I'm an old git of 41, so was covered in every bit of armour I could find! Head, wrists, knees, motocross back/shoulder/elbows & looking like a total muppet with my long wooden broom handle clutched for stability.

After a few tottery steps around the back yard I felt confident enough to go for stroll down to the river (The quiet road from Ham down to Canbury Gardens if you know the area...), and having got to the gardens with no great problems went for a stroll, even breaking into a gentle jog to the delight of the schoolkids wolfwhistling across the river.

Now, I've lived in London for 30 odd years, and I have never had a dozen complete strangers stop to chat with me before (Hard to believe I know!), I felt so chirpy from all the attention that after half hour of tottering around the gardens a couple of likely lads on bikes asked if I wanted a race,
Did I...
a) Say no thanks lads, I'm still tottering about like a newborn lamb who's just being wheened of a £200 a day crack habit?
b) Tell em to bugger off and annoy someone else?
c) In spite of not being that fit, recovering from flu and being old enough to know better, take off sprinting up the road like a gazelle with it's arse on fire?

Yup.

So as I accelerated away from them to their cries of "bloody hell look at that!", I reached what turned out to be terminal velocity, I made the mistake of sprinting "normally" and not lifting my trailing leg properly... splat!  (Btw where's the smiley for a face-plant?)
Face first down the road with about 3m of skidmarks from all that lovely armour behind me... roflol
Whats that they say about old Badgers & new tricks?  :Cwideeyed:
Thankfully the chavvy bikers (aided by my trusty broom handle) stopped to help me up, or I'd probably still be there! They were so shocked they even forgot to mug me or put a few slaps in while I was down   :Ctwitcy:

Shoulder & pride sore but nothing broken (Typically I landed on my left side which has a weak shoulder from years of crashing motorbikes), hot shower & some ibufprofen should do me shoulder the world of good!  :Crolleyes:
Anyone got any painkillers? lol

Note to self; Next time use answer a)

All the best,

Clive (Not that one!) aka Badger, wannabee Surrey Springer acolyte  :Cnotworthy:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 06:01:55 PM by Badger »
Only keep dancing till you fall over

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
Re: Hi from Kingston, Surrey
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 06:13:51 PM »
 :Claugh:  well done on successfully completing your first fall without getting hurt, those chavs sounded kinda nice compared to most.

and if you ever want to do a meet in/around kingston area/wherever else round here, just say, it's been a while since there was a meetup (excluding the hanworth meets :P)

Offline clive

• Elite Member
  • jump as high as you can ,,worry about the landing
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 07:38:35 PM »
welcome to the bocking world and just to let you know jason and i are going to kingston this sunday if you fancy a meet up with another two oldies

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 07:42:19 PM »
Hi Badger

Your just round the corner from us in Hanworth mate and we meet up most weekends for a couple of hours on the sunday

We were thinking of going to Kingston this Sunday as Clive has justb said we normally start about 12/12-30  Clive ( the Hanwoth one  :Claugh:) and I are both older than you so you'll feel like a youngster  :Claugh:

Armor, crash hat and a broomstick  :Claugh: sounds just like my first day did you stuff a kneeling pad down the back of your shorts too  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 08:44:12 PM »
lol... if you don't mind me tottering about in my body armour while you guys bounce around me, then I'll do my best to be there!
just let me know where you're planning on meeting.

Means I may be a couple of hours late meeting a lass, but I'm sure she'll understand.. Or probably not, but c'est la vie!

Offline Biohazard

• The 'Crash Test Dummy'
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 09:02:50 PM »
Hey Badger, i can get to Kingston in about 5-10 mins, I live in Ham  :Cbiggrin:.
Your now the closest Bocker to me  :Ceek:

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 09:05:22 PM »
well I'm just off the Richmond Road near Tiffin Girls so not a million miles away from you :o)

Offline Archy-G

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 09:44:36 PM »
Welcome  :Csmile: :Csmile:
your first day sounded wicked and sounds like you enjoyed it and good luck.
do not let age get it the way!  :Cbiggrin:

Offline Kiwi

• *boop*
    • My Twitter!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 01:09:13 AM »
hey badger

ok typing ur name instantly reminds me of this website im addicted to

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/

anyway well done on your first fall! glad it didnt hurt much. FYI im Kiwi, memer of the Surrey Springers as well and im not too far away either. go to uni in Kingston live in Morden. eye ball high in coursework. not been out bocking since the rainy meet in kingston high street a couple of weeks ago and dont plan too untill after the 18th. So if your meeting with the SS crew dont forget to call me!!! and also you might like to know my first fall was while running too! the first 20 yards were fine and i did exactly the same things as you and forgot to lift up legs and went SPLAT onto concrete... only difference was i had no knee guards on! talk about OUCH!!! 

well i better get back to the
2x 1500 peer assessments,
2x 2000 word analysis,
1x project
and 1x 1500 individual report that i have to finish by the 18th... oh happy happy me. the joys of 2nd year uni....

Offline Bexx

• I need a bock
  • EA Bocker
  • I'VE MOVED!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 10:49:41 AM »

Here u go badger, :D

I'm still tottering about like a newborn lamb who's just being wheened of a £200 a day crack habit?

LOVE IT! wow what an image

Oh and Ive been out a bit with the surry springers in kingston/Stains etc ... Its great fun .. hope to see u soon! :P
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 10:51:36 AM by Bexx »

------------------------------------
No-Longer down south :(  I will miss london -- but I will be back, oh yes

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 01:39:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum, I think you will fit right in with Jason & crew  :biggrin:

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 05:17:37 PM »
Thanks Naz... you guys are making me feel all warm n fuzzy, which is nice cos it stops me thinking about the pain in my shoulder, lol.

& Beck, glad I made ya chuckle. btw I have the BadgerBadgerBadger t shirts too :)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 08:37:54 PM »
Probably the easiest place to meet is at the bridge Kingston side we should be there by 12-30 if we can make it earlier I'll post

Sunday by the way  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 08:11:17 AM »
Meep.

Can't make it today, sorry guys... food poisoning, last thing I need right now is to bounce! :Cwideeyed: :Cconfused:

Next time!

Offline Biohazard

• The 'Crash Test Dummy'
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 10:32:34 AM »
By the way if you new to Tiffin Girls I can walk there, I live next to Ham Green/Ham Libary.