Author Topic: 7's knee/ shin guards  (Read 19627 times)

Offline Kiwi

• *boop*
    • My Twitter!
7's knee/ shin guards
« on: April 29, 2009, 12:05:09 AM »
just a little show of what i managed to do to my set of 7's knee shin guards with a fall on me bocks...

and this is the other one

now considering that these were made for bocking.....  Either i fell really hard or the guards were $hit. Split the shell in half and thats £10 down the drain.....

anyone recommend a good solid set that i can get on a student budget??

p.s KC i saw ur review on argos it made me lol. 

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
Re: 7's knee/ shin guards
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 12:30:32 AM »
Send 7's an email, show them the damage, see what they say. Something like that they may replace for free because they are clearly NOT meant to do that and it's some kind of manufacturing flaw.

Offline Kiwi

• *boop*
    • My Twitter!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 12:33:44 AM »
cheers sprog, i didnt think of that. i will mail them see what they say... hopefully they will replace them.. who knows

Offline XS

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 01:00:06 AM »
better them than your knee caps

they prolly weren't "made for bocking", 7's saw that lots of people use the pit dirt PJ ones so they found something similar and printed some 7's on them.

if they don't replace them, get the PJ one's, same price,  lots of bockers use them, never seen them do that.

Offline scruff

• Jump! How High??
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 04:52:33 PM »
That is really bad
Talk to trip about it!!

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 05:00:24 PM »
I dont believe its trip that does them but the guys in london.

With regards to the damage, there is another way of looking at it, they did the job they were suppose to do! Not all falls are the same and some may crack the knee pad, it just depends on whether it was a minor fall etc.

If they replace it is good of them, but if they don't as a seller I would understand.

On the subject of Knee / Shin pads, there are currently delays with our ones, so in the mean time I ordered a set of eBay for my nephew, there was a link on the forum somewhere, in the pic they looked identical to ours but when we recieved them you could tell they were of a very diffferent quality and no where near the same as the Pit Dirt ones. So if you have seen the Pit Dirt ones in "flesh" it may be a better idea to see if you can try and match the quality in an actual shop.

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 05:17:36 PM »
Yeah, it's Manni (7LeaguesLondon) who do those, not Trip.
Naz makes a good point though, they did work by absorbing the impact and dispersing the force (Hence why it split) so they did the job they're designed for.
Then again, when I smashed up my wristguards and I bought some new ones, I mentioned it to the guys working at my local skate shop and they said they are designed so ideally they shouldn't shatter or break, they should just disperse the force over the area, as by smashing they can cause further injury from the sharp plastic edges

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 05:43:22 PM »
Ill try and take a pic of the ones from eBay as they look similar to the 7's ones, but the quality is very poor compared to the Pit Dirt ones.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 09:25:24 PM »
I have still got my first set of Pit Dirts and although I must admit they have small splits in the top they are still doing there job 2 years after I bougnt them

I weigh 17 stone and I have fallen very hard on to concrete and jagged rocks in them and they have always done their job well

The fall that split the top had to be seen to be believed I fell onto my knees directly from a high jump (Total brain fade  :Claugh: )

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline lynch

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 09:37:35 PM »
sorry about this Jason but i saw you on this topic and thought what have you made now lol
i dont even wear hevery duty knee pads mine are just some really good shock absorbents sponge 

Offline Kiwi

• *boop*
    • My Twitter!
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 09:42:40 PM »
hi all, i got a reply back from Manni and the very nice people at 7 Leagues london say that they will replace them. According to them they say it does look like a manufacturing problem and they will look into it :D

but yeay i can get back on my bocks when they come!

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 09:49:22 PM »
Good news Kiwi

Lynch get yourself some hard cased pads mate you don't want a broken kneecap and all it takes is a large stone on the ground my mate fell while running and fractured his on a kerb and that is what I call pain

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline dr. delicious

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 11:56:29 PM »
Aww, i wanted to see what your knees would have looked like without them! ;P Oh well, i suppose i will have to wait for another unlucky fellow to mess there knees up.
klsjdbvlkjbvlkjb

Offline Trip

• EA Bocker
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 12:55:46 AM »
I dont believe its trip that does them but the guys in it is good of them

Thanks NAZ new you'd put em straight girlie ;-p, my first reply on ms geeky iPhone. Wow works well considering I've got fat fingers and a 3 Inch screen.

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 01:10:18 AM »
Trip you almost perfected the skill of using the iPhone but you have to practice on not eating half my quote up. Do some finger exersizes if the fingers are too fat :P

Alternatively you can pick up a stylus that will work on it from ebay :)

Offline Kiwi

• *boop*
    • My Twitter!
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 04:32:48 PM »

lol ive found that a pencil with a rubber end works nicely. use the rubber end of course. we dont want scratched pods and iphones.  :Ctongue:

Offline Callum

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 05:40:05 PM »
or get a ds styleus or you could get one of the lg reniour ones that loops trough in a little case :D

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 05:43:42 PM »
Hmm...I didn't think you could use stylus with the touch? My viewty one doesn't work with it :/

Offline Archie L

• EA Bocker
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 07:40:53 PM »
Mm, you have to get special rubbery or skin-like stylus's for the iphone and such, because of the screen or something, so a Ds stylus, or anything else won't really work. It has to have special properties. But you can buy iphone stylus's on ebay :)

It's Cavemen vs. Gentlemen.
It's easier than it loo-
-ouch

Offline Trip

• EA Bocker
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 08:59:37 PM »
Trip you almost perfected the skill of using the iPhone but you have to practice on not eating half my quote up. Do some finger exersizes if the fingers are too fat :P

Yes i'm going to rearly tone the old fingers up, i've a full workout planned. Finger dumb bell curls etc. If that doesn't work then its finger liposuction and i might get them to make one of them slightly pointed at the end to negate the need for a stylus.  :Ctongue:

Offline Archie L

• EA Bocker
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 09:39:57 PM »
What a cunning plan, Trip.

It's Cavemen vs. Gentlemen.
It's easier than it loo-
-ouch

Offline Becky

• EsseX Power Bockers
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 11:18:56 PM »
I bought mine years ago, but they were Dixon ones - seem to be identicle to the pit-dirt ones to me! :)

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 12:36:05 AM »
Yes they are, I believe ours are from the same manufacturer and we also use to sell the Dixon ones but they stopped doing them for a bit. Only difference is the Pit Dirt ones weren't as expensive!

Offline PBC

• Les Bottes de 7 Lieues
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2010, 11:05:34 AM »
Send 7's an email, show them the damage, see what they say. Something like that they may replace for free because they are clearly NOT meant to do that and it's some kind of manufacturing flaw.

I kniow this topic is more than a year old but as nobody mentioned it here and Manni still has these pads for sale, I feel obliged to chip in.
These pads have absolutely nothing to do with the 7 Leagueboot brand. They are not in the product catalogue and never have been. Ditto Manni's kneebar straps which also bear the "7" logo. This logo has nothing to do with FutureTech, it is Manni who added it to products he had made, probably in China.

I bought a batch of his knee pads and knee bar straps. The pads are usable but unfit for sale so I have used them with our rental fleet only. All had to be modified with a strap to hold the kneecap in place. This modification cost me more than the pads themselves. Every fall they have taken has resulted in the kneecap splitting.

The kneebar straps have all been put in the dustbin. Their plastic clips break on the first outing making them dangerous. Cheap they may be but they are genuinely worthless.

I repeat, the "7" logo that appears on these items is just something Manni created using a stock font. It is NOT the real 7 Leagues logo.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2010, 12:36:10 PM »
Hmm...I hope you have the right insurances so you would be covered in the case of 'I broke my knee because the safety gear provided wasn't adequate' :D

I can see why you would want to make it clear they are not licensed products. I have seen both. I'm not sure if Trip's straps were the same as manni's, I guess not as they did work a bit, but, for the same price, when pinny was about, you could buy a far far far better set from him. Or make your own from dog collars. They actually work brilliantly too. But the pads...craptastic. I'd pay 50p. And even if I got 30 pairs I think a set that cost £15 would last me longer. The 7 on the pads even looks crap. Could do a better job with a bottle of tip-ex.

How many of these things did you buy o.O