Author Topic: getting past a mental wall  (Read 8351 times)

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
getting past a mental wall
« on: March 22, 2009, 07:26:55 PM »
well i just went down the front of the uni for some flips practice, after quite a lot of pacing around mentally beating myself up about it, and getting there then chickening out, managed acouple

first one: rotated enough and fell forward, most rotation yet as i landed it half standing instead of landing sitting and jarring my spine like last time

<insert more chickening out>

second one: worried too much, under-rotated landed sitting, knocked my glasses off and scattered the pieces (lenses fell out, no real damage

then couldn't even bring myself to do anymore, just hit a mental wall

any suggestions on how to get past this? each time i get it almost right all the mistakes i made last time are still running through my head for the next one, and after a fall it feels like i've failed completely

TLDR: hit a mental wall, any tips on getting past it (note: man-up and just go for it hasn't been working, told myself loads of times)

oh and sorry for the long post, but i tried ot break it up at least

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
Re: getting past a mental wall
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 07:31:41 PM »
Go in the gym. Don't do it outside until you are confident. I am no expert. I cant flip. But what I see in the gym that I dont see outside is confidence. Confidence that when you do land on your arse it's not going to hurt to bad and it's safe. people can watch and give you tips. Its a great place to learn and is an ideal place from natural progression. Instead of throwing yourself in the deep end. Thick mats, thinner mats/somebody spotting, really thin mats, gym floor outside.

it can all happen safely and in a good environment. I think when you are in the gym you can feel more confident and more willing to try because it is safer and you have support

:spudT:

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 07:34:49 PM »
the odd thing is in the gym i don't try hard enough, and usually hurt myself more (friction burns from mats mostly), and it's harder to go for it in the gym as there's usually a brick wall in front if i fall forwards, or do a long flip as i often do

good one today was only about a metre forwards, bad was about 1.5

Offline XS

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 07:37:30 PM »
do it more on a crash mat at a gym till you get it consistently, then do it on thin mats a lot, then take it outside.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 08:00:12 PM »
We have some mats at DG not briliant ones but SX flipped onto them

Can you flip on your feet and on a trampoline as doing both of them should build confidence

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 08:39:47 PM »
trampoline: probably with a little practice

on foot: not quite, but i haven't tried on foot in ages

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 08:52:41 PM »
We need to set up a meet in Hanworth and get you some practice DG
I have some home made mats that we have tried flipping onto so if we put them on some grass they are ideal to try on

Also you might want to get some tips off Benny I watched him flip on his feet last monday and he's really good

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 11:18:17 AM »
well i say this weekend, as i finish for easter on friday, and heading down to the south coast on tuesday or something, and i shall, my main obstacle is still the up before the tuck, but i'm slowly getting it i think, need to do some videos, maybe if i get free time on wednesday or something and it hasn't rained by then(jinxed it now XD), knecks slighty stiff from last night, but that's from doing on foot, on bocks i didn't feel a thing...except a knee hitting me in the forehead

Offline Benny B aka Hero MC

• I jump higher than high~You cant see me coz I fly
    • Benny B's Soundclick
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 03:16:36 PM »
As Jason said i can do em on me feet.

i started out by running full bore and putting my hands on the floor then flip i did it over and over till i could do it standing on the spot.

then started again by running full bore and just trying to flip, i fink it took a few trys till i landed on my feet (not sure as it was years ago!)

fast legs + tight tuck = foot stomp lol
got a couple minutes to spare? check out my "jackass style" vids.
I'm not held liable for your sides splitting!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=bennyboy86&view=videos

OR

Check my Uk Hip Hop Tunes
http://www.soundclick.com/HeroMcakaBenEakaBennyB

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 03:34:46 PM »
I need to land mine a lot softer, as they are killing my knees! However they do help you with tucking etc. for bocking flips =]

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 10:02:55 PM »
i find i jar my kneck a lot when doing them on foot, as the landings harder, on bocks i've managed to jar my spine quite a bit, but other than that just a couple of bumps really

Offline Benny B aka Hero MC

• I jump higher than high~You cant see me coz I fly
    • Benny B's Soundclick
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 12:18:30 AM »
sounds like ur jarring urself alot dg.

maybe u wana slow down on the attempts mate lol

maybe wait till u get in a gym?
got a couple minutes to spare? check out my "jackass style" vids.
I'm not held liable for your sides splitting!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=bennyboy86&view=videos

OR

Check my Uk Hip Hop Tunes
http://www.soundclick.com/HeroMcakaBenEakaBennyB

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 01:20:00 AM »
:D maybe, but i do better outside, maybe outside with a thin mat(or two) is the thing to try

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 09:01:54 AM »
As a qualified Coach I would suggest using positive mental imagery.

depends on how you want top view it ie from your point of view or as a camera watching. Then imagine doing a perfect flip. Image it over and over again. If you have trouble in any particular area do an imaginary zoom to that area and watch it in slow motion.

Make your imaginary flip as real as possible feel the way the stilts compress, feel how your body reacts and gets itself into position, feel what a sucessful landing feels like. If you have not landed a flip on stilts ask others what it feels like or for them to describe how it feels and put it in your mental image. If you have completed flips without stilts think about what that felt like and use some of those feelings.

Prior to doing the real thing stand or sit somewhere and go through the whole mental imagery that you have built up again showing you a succesful flip. Then get up and do it.

I willl not go into the technical side of how or why this works but it does.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 09:20:26 AM »
no need to explain why that works, used to do very similar stuff with my violin practice, when you get to the perfectionist stage it really hits hard when you make a mistake, think i'll try that next time, or at least grab my camera and tape it to a statue or something so i can see where i go wrong (apart form knee-ing myself in the forehead)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 09:47:31 PM »
Make yourself free on sunday DG we are having a home meet at Clives and there will be crash mats and Dobbin will be there might even bring a vidio camera along

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 09:33:31 AM »
heh just as long as there's room to miss the landing XD

i could bring my camera, but it eats battery almost as bad as this laptop
(picked it up for 150 yesterday-3.2GHz pavilion :D)

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 09:22:27 PM »
i get this metal block but mines when attempting tricks i feel astho im not going to make the trick and end up breaking my legs and the  coz im imagening me breaking my legs i just cant do the trick and its a real bummer i myt do the imagenery thing :D coz i can do the tricks on a tramp easy peasy wud help if i get myself some stronger springs m70's for a 11 stone guy isnt the best XD

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline TheBockingWizard

• Welshbockers
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 12:14:19 AM »
Pretend that if you do it, you get something and if you don't you die.
<a href="http://www.welshbockers.co.uk/signature.swf" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.welshbockers.co.uk/signature.swf</a>

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 01:24:05 AM »
thats a really friendly concept XD

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)