Author Topic: Calf Cuff set up problem  (Read 14370 times)

Offline LameDuck

Calf Cuff set up problem
« on: March 15, 2009, 11:18:56 PM »
I've got a pair of poweriZers and have just bought some cuffs from here.  Fitting went fine, but the plastic clamping blocks won't hold the cuffs.  Can I get some metal ones from anywhere?  Or is there some way to introduce some friction between the inside of the blocks and the cuff support tubing?

Jim

BTW, I bought the cuffs from here.

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
Re: Pro-Jump Calf Cuff Walkthrough
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 11:32:01 PM »
ur reapeating urself there quackster :P

plastic is smply the naff XD errm jason will tell u XD

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline LameDuck

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 01:48:29 AM »
Thought it was worth a repeat as was hoping for a bit of support  :Cwink:  What's XD? 

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 02:13:21 AM »
Hey, I am not sure if it is possible to get the metal brackets on their own anymore but trip did sell them for a bit.

But, the projump brackets also do a very good job at holding the calf cuffs. I use standard PJ brackets and have had no probs. I have looked at other brackets and they are slightly different. But, poweriZer brackets should be the same as PJ ones I think. Are you sure you have done the bracket up correctly?

:spudT:

Offline LameDuck

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 10:22:34 AM »
The plastic clamp will never really work well.  It's a smooth interior radius, clamping a chromed tube, there's just no friction.  In the absence of decent clamps, then I'll just try using tape, the sort cyclists use on handle bars.  This should achieve 2 things.  1: Should give some grip and 2:, should increase the effective diameter of the tubing, therefore (in engineering parlance) take me from a transition to an interference fit.

Something has to be done though, because as it is, I've tightened the clamps up to the point where the plastic is distorting and they still twist immediately upon my standing on them!

Cheerz

Jim

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 10:30:04 AM »
If that was truly the case then the knee bar would not stay in place and would move up and down a lot. There is friction. it really just depends what clamps you have and what plastic they are made from. I have cuffs and projump/FL brackets and they work perfectly. I have had falls and they still work fine.

But, the metal ones are probably better. I am just not sure if it is possible to buy them on thier own anymore. You could ask trip and see what the story is with them, but I really don't know.

hope you find a solution soon. Where abouts are you?

Offline LameDuck

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 11:30:07 AM »
They don't move up and down, they twist, so I end up with my knee pointing in a different direction to my foot.  Not ideal!  The knee bar doesn't have that problem because they're joined.  The 2 smooth surfaces don't have friction, because there's no 'bite' in the plastic, they have compression :(

I'm near Southend. 

I noticed somebody else in this thread had the same issue, but I don't see a resolution posted.  Who's trip and how do I get in touch?  Spose the next step is the temp tape solution, quickly followewd by finding a local engineering firm, to machine me up some blocks :(

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 11:33:50 AM »
http://www.essexpowerbockers.com/

the solution to your problem is to get metal brackets or PJ brackets. It was a common problem for people who got PJ cuffs and used 7's. because the bracket used on the 7's were not as thick and were made out of different plastic. Trip is a member on here and sells 7's. PM him. But he is often very busy.

Offline LameDuck

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 05:44:04 PM »
I'm already on that forum, generally a decent bunch there.  Have also dropped trip a mail to the email address in his profile. 

Wait and see I guess.

Thanks for the pointers...

J

Offline Kazbahn

• :D
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 10:27:08 PM »
By the way, XD is a sqinty-eyed smiley face,

imagine the wrinkles going in towards the nose, and a big smile, such as when you write : D for this smiley --> :D

just thought i'd stop by and say, as i hate leaving people curious :P

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 10:37:26 PM »
Hi Lameduck

Sorry about the late reply mate but been a bit busy basicly Spud has said it right but heres a summary

I have come across this problem a few of times now and it is is always with either 7 brackets or earlier powerizer or others from that stable and you are right they won't hold the cuffs at all and if you tighten them to much the bolts just pull through

The later plastic brackets are made of a diferent plastic and are thicker in a few places and they work really well (I've got 4 pairs and clive has 2 all on plastic brackets) I think you can order them on the main shop here

As spud said the 7 metal ones are very good and do the job well

Hope you get them sorted soon as they are so comfy compared to the bars

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline LameDuck

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 11:21:19 AM »
Unfortunately, I can't buy any replacement clamps.  I've tried every spares site google could turn up this morning (in the UK at least, not waiting from transatlantic deliveries) and nobody stocks clamps.  Worryingly, a lot of them don't answer the phone, but the ones that do, don't stock them.  Credit where it's due,  Pro-Jump have offered me a refund, but that's not no use to me, as I'll still be calfcuffless.  I'm going to find an engineering works that can machine me some clamps, but in the mean time will have to go back to the knee bar. 

In my opinion and based on my experience, 2 changes need to be made.  Pro-Jump need to make it very clear that there cuffs do not fit all stilts.  This thread needs to state this also.  Otherwise people like me will buy the things and never be able to fit them.  Which is a real shame.  Fortunately I'm really old, so this hasn't blown 2 months of saved pocket money, but is still annoying.

Anyway, thatnks for trying.  Depending on the cost of getting these things machined, I may just bite the bullet and buy some new stilts.  That will seriously wind me up though, as I've litterally, spent less that 2 hours total on these, from new! 

J

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 11:29:13 AM »
ok
have you asked trip for some 7's metal ones?
and have you rang projump to see if they have any spair.
i broke one of my clamps(and i need to sort it, still) and i do like cuff's, but they keept moving in my stilts as i have 7's and poweriser's.

i may have to knick a bracket off some of the projumps ive just ordered to try it again.

Offline LameDuck

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 11:36:24 AM »
You'll have to nick the bracket, I've now come to the conclusion that it's not possible to buy brackets.  Yews the cuffs do feel way batter, untiul you stand on them and the twist violently and throw you to the ground!

It's very frustrating, but at least from my perspective, I can still go back to the knee bars.

BTW - Does anybody know about a site called [link removed] 7-league boots. I've been trying to call them for 3 days and can't get through.  Worryingly, it is a mobile number, which goes straight to voice mail.  Do these people actually exist?

Anyway, as I said before, I'm giving up.  I've wasted far to much of my life messing with the things, not to mention the vast quantities of time on forums, google and the phone.  Life's way too short...

J
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 11:49:35 AM by Spud »

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 11:47:18 AM »
I am sure projump do them. They do all of the spares. They are just not all on the site but you can honestly get like any spare off them if you call or email. They are great guys to deal with :) *looks underneath keyboard at info card* apparently the magic number is 01772 792600. I have called them a few times and they are not too bad ;)

The cuffs do fit all stilts! I know a number of people that have bocks that are not projumps and have the projump calf cuffs. You will be able to fit them. Try and get Projump brackets. I think stating that these don't fit all bocks would be a little extreme. It is not the case. I understand you are a little frustrated and I would be too. But lol...relax. Phone projump, order some brackets then try. I don't think anybody has ever had an issue with projump brackets not holding projump cuffs :) so if you cant buy metal ones then there is your solution.

And anyway, if other bocks don't hold the cuffs it is not a fault with the projump cuffs. It is with other stilts. I can see how saying that you might need new brackets could be useful tho.

That is trip's site. He is often quite busy. He comes to our meets and deffo exists. but yes, hard to get hold of on his mobile :)

@toddy, your bocks sucked with cuffs :P PJ brackets should sort it :) woop! Toddy will have cuffs again :P

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 12:10:45 PM »
i can say projump do do them, as i was going to order some, but never got round to it.  :Cno:
and spud i may and may not, im not sure yet

Offline LameDuck

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 12:13:12 PM »
As I said, life's to short to pursue this!  If the mythical Trip exists and can supply brackets, I won't be buying them from him.  I'm not handing card details over to somebody who is "Difficult to get hold of", it's not a business model I'm prepared to subscribe to.  He may well be a great guy and one I'd prolly get along with fine, but this is a customer/client style relationship and being able to contact them, is too important to ignore.  A well presented website is not enough for me, I need humans behind it, before I'm comfortable parting with cash.

The comment about the cuffs not fitting all stilts was projumps comment, not mine.  As I said before, they have offered me a refund, because they state that they are not designed to fit my Powerizer stilts.  It's only wording whether the stilts or the cuffs are unsuitable, the key point is the marriage between the 2 that's failing and the supplier (therefore 'qualified knowledge source') is the one saying that.

Oh and projump didn't do them when I phoned them this morning, same for the other UK based suppliers I rang...

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 12:25:20 PM »
well all i would do is ask naz, she will clear this up

as that is the person i talked to.

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 03:35:57 PM »
I think it probably depends what version of PoweriZers you have, if they are a current version and the same as the Pro-Jumps I don't see why you are having this problem.

With regards to the plastic clamps (brackets) we did have some last time I checked so they must have been sold out in between. Its not really a part that breaks often so we don't hold many of them in stock but I think due to many non projump customers buying cuffs and needing the PJ clamps we probably sold out.

Offline LameDuck

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 04:33:20 PM »
Now I'm seriously confused!  I'm now worried I have 2 places mixed up.  This morning I rang 01772 792600, and spoke to a guy about these clamps.  He asked me to hold for 5 minutes while he went to speak to a mechanic (?), then came back and told me that the cuffs wouldn't fit all bocks and if they were a recent purchase, then they'd refund me.  He stated that they didn't stock these clamps.

Can you confirm I'm talking to the right people and if not, what is your number so I can call you and arrange to get some of these clamps when you next have them in stock. 

This is beginning to run on a bit now and becoming tedious.  I had decided to give up this morning, put the knee bars back on and went out for a bounce.  My plan was/is to get to the point where I am confident I'll stick with them, then lay out some proper money on a good set, can't justify the expense until I've more confident on them.  However, if I can get these calf cuffs working in the mean time and make them far easier to put on and off, then so much the better!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 05:28:39 PM by LameDuck »

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 06:02:41 PM »
You spoke to my collegues, if they said they don't have them then they are probably out of stock.

Can you get a picture of your jumping stilts up so I can work out which version you have?

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 06:17:20 PM »
Ok, so you don't have PoweriZers (which are similar to Pro-Jump) but you have PoweriSers (note the S) which is a different brand.

As Pro-Jump are out of stock on our plastic clamps you need to get in touch with PoweriSer original or their distributors, I know that Skatehut are one of their dealers, google them and contact them to see if they have any of the metal brackets in stock as they will do the job.

Offline LameDuck

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 06:33:07 PM »
Then they're very badly labeled, as they have a PoweriZer badge on them, on the back of the diagonal support.  Did you just read the title and not look at the pictures in there as you requested?

Never mind, the straps you sold me with the cuffs are good and I'm sure the cuffs will come in hand at some point in the future.

I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed at this thread.  Jason pointed out early on it it exactly what the problem was, describing the poor plastic blocks to a treat.  The thread then turned into where can I get them from and consequently into a 'ProJump are great, you're an idiot', shame.  I'm not a teenager who forget's what I said a couple of hours previously and the conversation I had did not include the words "Out of stock".  Oh and I'm not completely stupid with mechanical things, my first degree was Mechanical Engineering...

I know this post is blatant flame bait, but it's not intended to be.  I'm not trying to insult or upset anyone and fully expect to meet many of you at some point in the future, when I'm sure we'll all get on fine.  I'm just a little frustrated at being at this point, 2 days after what should have been a very simple issue to resolve, for people who are familiar with the kit :-(

This is defo a good point to go to the pub, on my Tiggerz ;-)

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 07:02:29 PM »
Then they're very badly labeled, as they have a PoweriZer badge on them, on the back of the diagonal support.  Did you just read the title and not look at the pictures in there as you requested

Dude, no flame, but all the pictures on that website are all of PoweriSers, not RiZer's, Naz asked you for pictures of your stilts, taken by you, dodgy ebay sellers selling not whats described is a real problem these days!

Also i'd say that i wouldn't trust anything but metal brackets, sorry Naz ;), maybe i've had bad experiences, but thats just me :)