Author Topic: Have you an ICE number  (Read 6804 times)

Dark Knight

Have you an ICE number
« on: January 25, 2009, 07:01:11 PM »
Have you got a ICE number on your phone ?

I asked someone that last night and she didn't have a clue what one was, and maybe you don't either ?

ICE stand for In Case of Emergency.

Most of us have phones and it's loaded with contact numbers and thats fine for us in an emergency we know which person we need to call. But what if you can't make that call ? Say if you've been in an accident and your laying in the back of an ambalance, how will the emergency people there know which number to call ?
That is why the first number they will look for is your "ICE" number and not "MUM, DAD or HOME" !
They can't just phone everyone in your phone to find the right person that could take hours !

I've a new phone and I've lost all my contact numbers ( hint ) but one of the first number I did put in it was an ICE number and it's not my mums but my brothers number which just show you why you need one too !

This is not something I thought up, it's what the emergency services came up with to help them, but I think we should all have an ICE number on us. If you haven't got a phone write to one a piece of paper and keep it with you at all times.

Here's a link to the BBC talking about ICE numbers
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4674331.stm
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 09:21:17 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline Kazbahn

• :D
Re: Have you an ICE number
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 07:06:52 PM »
Good point DK, i think i'll label a couple of the most likely numbers in my phone book as ICE numbers right now... in case of... sudden cessation of breathing... or something.

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 09:13:57 PM »
Good post DK

And yes I have an ICE number in my phone  :Csmile:
Grow old disgracefully

Offline wolf

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 09:28:13 PM »
I have heard of ICE but have not put it in my phone though I really should!

also you can put ICE 1, ICE 2, ICE 3 etc in your phone so that if they can't reach the first number they can try the next one

Dark Knight

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 09:57:44 PM »
I have heard of ICE but have not put it in my phone though I really should!

also you can put ICE 1, ICE 2, ICE 3 etc in your phone so that if they can't reach the first number they can try the next one
Think that may make it more tricky ?
They may think it's NOT your ICE number but the members of a ICE hocky team ?
But I see what you mean.

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 12:38:34 AM »
That article is from July 2005...
When we took George in the Ambulance after he dislocated his elbow, the first number they asked for off his phone was "Home", not "ICE". Surely searching "Home" or "Mum" on a phone would be common sense, I'm certain paramedics aren't stupid and require a special entry on a phone to call someone.

It's an interesting idea but from the looks of things it never took off.

Dark Knight

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 01:05:13 AM »
That article is from July 2005...
When we took George in the Ambulance after he dislocated his elbow, the first number they asked for off his phone was "Home", not "ICE". Surely searching "Home" or "Mum" on a phone would be common sense, I'm certain paramedics aren't stupid and require a special entry on a phone to call someone.

It's an interesting idea but from the looks of things it never took off.
Seeing has he could tell them the best number to call when they asked then that would in fact be his ICE number ?
This is more for those time when you can't reply ?
Maybe the idea hasn't took off, shame really has I believe it's a good idea !?

Offline Puddster

• Meh
    • Zedge
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 01:07:12 AM »
It is a useful idea.

Problem with asking for home/mum/dad etc. is not everyone wants to alert those people first.  I personally am not as close to my family as most people I know and would much rather someone else be alerted before that.  Having an ICE number quickly informs a paramedic who the casualty would want to be phoned in the current situation.

In my training as a First Aider, we're not supposed to ask "shall we parents your parents", but "do you have anyone you'd like to inform?"  This becomes considerably more difficult if the casualty is not alert, vocal or responsive.

For those interested, I found out about ICE numbers from the Facebook group.

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 01:13:16 AM »
don't have one, but the most common numbers i send things to are right at the top of my contacts so i have to push less buttons to send things, pretty obvious...if anyone tried to phone my mother they'd probably just get static as she's now living in the middle of wayelz on a hill

Offline Greggles

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • BOCK IT AND ROCK IT
    • www.eabockers.com
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 02:38:57 PM »
Lol be more funny is the paramedics rand the ICE in your phone and they got a dealer on the other end lol "hello" " yer how many grams u want" XD

il remove if u want naz

Dark Knight

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 06:20:30 PM »
Lol be more funny is the paramedics rand the ICE in your phone and they got a dealer on the other end lol "hello" " yer how many grams u want" XD

il remove if u want naz
:Claugh:
I was waiting for someone to come up with that !
Here's some more
Institutin of Civil Engineers
International Currency Exchange
 :Ctwitcy:

Offline JumpinJim

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 01:55:54 PM »
I have a mate called ICE, but he lives in Canada? Should I take him out of my phone as he won't be much help over there! LOL...

Jokes asside very good point DK.. I've just got "ICE" next to the persons name in my Phone book. i.e. Mum "ICE", Kerri "ICE" an so on...

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 12:28:41 AM »
if i was the medical guys i wuda made it ICOE coz hus called icoe and hu deals icoe XD

wud of made these funny quotes harder to be made up XD :Cyes:

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)