Author Topic: Kiwi style spring armour  (Read 17208 times)

Offline Kiwi

• *boop*
    • My Twitter!
Kiwi style spring armour
« on: January 19, 2009, 03:51:32 AM »
I am pleased to announce that i have completed me spring armour. Inspired by T10HJS 's springs in the "Spring protection" thread, i have used the same technique but with abit of Kiwi sparkle

let me know what you think and after me exams i MIGHT think about selling made to order spring armour.... only if i get a good response and if i have time. :D   :biggrin: :biggrin: :thumbs:

love Kiwi  :banana:

Offline culley62

• EA Bocker
Re: Kiwi style spring armour
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 08:21:24 AM »
awesome, they look alright..I'd buy if you sold :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :PJR:

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 08:29:28 AM »
Yea, they look sweet. I would be probs buy some if my fur wasnt so sexy  :D

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 08:40:40 AM »
i'd be tempted, but also have some super floofy covers around somewhere

shoclingly i've managed to make quite an impact on the 7s protection ;D

Offline clive

• Elite Member
  • jump as high as you can ,,worry about the landing
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 09:08:11 AM »
hi kiwi, they look awesome bet they took you along time to do with all that fancy paint work,cant see you doing any damage to your springs that for sure..great job  ;)

Offline wolf

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 09:10:53 AM »
wow! very nice good choice of tire to start with I would be very tempted to buy if you sold :D

Offline Fysh

• Hello ;)
    • Bubble-Bytes
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 05:37:07 PM »
I'd buy!!!

Offline Springer

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 06:36:05 PM »
Wow these look awesome =3 I'm very tempted to make some - which paint did you use though?

Offline Kazbahn

• :D
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 08:26:25 PM »
Demz is sum pretty damn smexy springs you got thar :P

but seriously, i've just done up my springs with tape, and they look  S:censored:T  compared to your mind-bogglingly awesome stilts of amazingness ;D

How much? :D

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 08:28:13 PM »
Nice one Kiwi

Looks like lizard skin  :biggrin: Good choice of colour scheme too

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline Kiwi

• *boop*
    • My Twitter!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 02:22:44 AM »
Oh my GOD!!!!!!

What an amazing response from you guys!!!!! Thank you all soooooo much!!! Really thank you, I’m so chuffed! :D :D

Hearing all your responses I have decided after me exam I will take orders for Kiwi Spring Armour!!!!

FYI
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_250448_langId_-1_categoryId_165694

This is the tyre that I bought
(Is it tyre or tire) :-s

For future orders I would ask you guys who are interested, to choose a tread of your choice from Halfords  and to make sure they have it in stock at New Malden, I’ve also seen awesome looking tyres on Amazon.co.uk too  from as cheap as  a fiver. Basically send me a link of the tread u want and ill order it.
I used high quality metallic paint for the tread and the only colours available are silver and gold.

After you have told me what tread, I can give you a quote on how much it will cost but on average your looking at around ( note: GIVE OR TAKE ) £30
But you get a lot for your money: the two spring covers, sized, cut, painted, with holes, with the required amount of matching coloured zipties, the spare pieces of tyre(which are a decent length to make socks from) and P&P. The Cheaper the Tread you choose the less expensive it will be for you.

Just to give u an idea how I worked that out ill give you how much I would charge for exactly mine as they are:
26" x 1.95 bike tyre - £15
Paint - £7
25 ultra tough zipties - £3.50
Postage - £4.20 (Royal Mail Standard package)
Packing - £17.47 (£1.16 each as it’s a pack of 15 boxes)

Price £35

I know it’s hefty but I will only be making £4 for all the hard work and effort I put into making them. I will say though it’s negotiable. For example if you don’t want zipties -£3.50, if you wanna come pick them up from me then -£5.36 and so on.

NOTE: The tyres MUST be 26” and be at least 1.95” thick or it won’t fit over the widest part of the spring.

Here’s the price range

Tyre Cost – Asking Price
£5 - £25
£7 - £27
£9 - £29
£11 - £31
£13 - £33
£15 - £35

I know a lot of you would be put back by the price and I understand and I would too…. Gaffa tape seems so much easier compared to this, but if you wanna have a physical look me springs then come along to the Hampton meet: Sunday 25th Jan at 11am. They really are very good at taking impact and look really nice in person (so to speak) as well.

Any questions then PM me on here or my hotmail addy is on my profile, feel free to contact me there too…….

Cheers all once again for the comments, much appreciated.

Love Kiwi

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 10:49:24 PM »
They do look good Kiwi  :thumbs:

Just one word of warning I found out the hard way when making covers that the springs are thicker as the weight goes up so you might want to measure a pair of heavier springs to make sure you don't need wider tyres for the big springs

Good news is I will be on a set of 114's on sunday so you can measure them if you want

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 10:55:39 PM »
and the other thing is if you ask me really nicely i will have a look in my shed to see what i got as well i can point you in the right direction for cheep good tyres

and it is tyres

Offline Kiwi

• *boop*
    • My Twitter!
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 10:59:25 PM »
They do look good Kiwi  :thumbs:

Just one word of warning I found out the hard way when making covers that the springs are thicker as the weight goes up so you might want to measure a pair of heavier springs to make sure you don't need wider tyres for the big springs

Good news is I will be on a set of 114's on sunday so you can measure them if you want

omg thank you ur aa LIFESAVER!!!! i didnt know that!!  i need to ask that..
oh so i got M90s and i fit a 1.95" tire over it
i think that the fattest is goes is 2.5"..... decent size i suppose.

thnk you tho yes i will take the opportunity to measure up.

cheers jason.

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 11:07:59 PM »
the bigest mtb tyre is 3.5" you will find
i did have a chance to get one one day, but i didnt have a bike that it would fit in
i do have a 3" in mt shed

i think you should have a look at these
http://www.sweetskinztires.com/sweetskinztires/

Offline Kiwi

• *boop*
    • My Twitter!
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 11:26:39 PM »
the bigest mtb tyre is 3.5" you will find
i did have a chance to get one one day, but i didnt have a bike that it would fit in
i do have a 3" in mt shed

i think you should have a look at these
http://www.sweetskinztires.com/sweetskinztires/

oh my gosh lol thay look SOOOOO COOOOOOL but are like!!! $40!!! .... ill use that idea for some inspiration!! lol. gold and silver camouflage!! il actually do it if anyone is interested for a cheaper option!

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 06:50:05 PM »
well if you want them you can buy them in the uk and they are about £30(how much a good tyre normally costs)

and i do know how much tyres etc are as i own a bike shop and have a shed full of them,
if you are interested in some cheep just ask

as well the sweetskinz you would be able to get one pair of spring covers and one pair of socks

Offline JumpinJim

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 02:05:04 PM »
Kiwi, i got a trya at the weekend an am going to make some spring covers. Just one question.. Did you take the steel Ring out of the tyre or leave it in?

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 02:45:50 PM »
jim normally you would cut the ring out on spring protection, as itll get in the way.
also i tried cable ties on my first tyre covers, and ripped my fingers apart while doing grabs, i now use laces

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 02:56:08 PM »
Make sure the laces are really long. Long enough. It sucks to get almost to the top
thinking you might just make it... then have to start all over again with a new lace.
...not that I'd know. *cough* twice *cough.*
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline JumpinJim

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 03:01:52 PM »
Cheers Guys. I was gonna use Cable ties but now i think i'll use laces!

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 03:12:01 PM »
Oh and they look awesome with silver eyelets! ^_^
And slightly gothic if you like that kinda thing. ^_^
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 03:37:37 PM »
my eyelet tool was pants, they all fell out  :Cmad:but the twin rail tyres i used have held up well, not one tear to the holes

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 09:33:14 PM »
i have to agree twin rail are the way forward, and the coluored ones are non marking, good for gyms

• Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 09:48:39 PM »
my eyelet tool was pants, they all fell out  :Cmad:but the twin rail tyres i used have held up well, not one tear to the holes

That happened with my first set and I was really disappointed. =(
So I bought a stronger eyelet set and it worked great. I love it! ^_^

What's twin rail?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 10:09:04 PM by Brendan (NeoNinja) »