Author Topic: Walking stick  (Read 8783 times)

Dark Knight

Walking stick
« on: January 16, 2009, 12:31:42 PM »
 We all know the problem that once your standing up you have to keep moving your feet to keep your balance even when standing still in one spot. This can make you very tired when it only take the lightness of touch to steady you, either by holding a post, wall or even somebody.
 I come up with a neat solution which although not new is often thought of just a way to help Bambi's learn to Bock. A walking stick, I need a normal stick from time to time and apart needing a longer stick would do the same job for stilt walker.

They are simple and cheap to make. All you need is

A rubber foot, the same as used on a normal walking stick and cost 25p
 Pole about 7 foot long. the pole need not be very strong as it's not for bear your full weight ?

Then push the foot onto the pole and it :thumbs:

I brought a telescopic cloths line prop for £1.99 which it is light weight and is about 4 foot long then when you need it you pull it out the only problem is the top not meat for pulling down on so watch out it doesn't break in your palm.

This works for someone my size so should work for most of people too.

Offline Greggles

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • BOCK IT AND ROCK IT
    • www.eabockers.com
Re: Walking stick
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 02:43:38 PM »
or like most fit ppl can just handle moving around

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 07:54:09 PM »
Greg

Agree that most "fit" people probably could. However I can see this working as an aid at a club event to give new walkers the confidence to walk away from other objects.

I have a problem with my hip and sometimes would like to make use of something to rest against when out or help me up when i fall as I cannot get up in the standard way.

Help like this makes the sport accessible to those that are generally excluded so I would support anyone who tries to make our sport inclusive.
Grow old disgracefully

Dark Knight

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 08:51:17 PM »
I have a problem with my hip and sometimes would like to make use of something to rest against when out or help me up when i fall as I cannot get up in the standard way.
I'll not change the title of this topic but you should think of it more as a staff than true walking stick.

Charlie while reading your reply just now I do believe I can help with your/our standing problem it's so simple really. I'll have you one for you next meet ( unless it needs a rethink )  :thumbs:

I may not be the best Bocker around but know enough to see a problem and try my best to solve it them.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 09:35:55 PM »
I agree with you Dk

If you look back I have suggested this to several newbeys and still have two staffs of about 8ft long with rubber door stops screwed to the end stored in the back room
I ocasionally have to go out on icy cut up tracks with the horse and a staff is the best thing to take

I have found a good alternative is one of the telescopic sprung walking poles that sports shops sell they are just long enough to use as a walking stick and are a really good aid to getting up when they are folded down and easy to carry

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 09:57:19 PM »
well i do think it is a good idea for beginners etc

but then jason havnt you got 3 the scythe as well

Dark Knight

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 10:39:15 PM »
well i do think it is a good idea for beginners etc

but then jason havnt you got 3 the scythe as well

Jason's the grim ripper  :o

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 11:07:52 PM »
you havnt seen the pic's i take it then

Dark Knight

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 11:40:55 PM »
you havnt seen the pic's i take it then
Are they scairy not that any picture of Jason in short isn't scairy  :biggrin:
You know I don't mean it Jason.
You show your legs off I'll watch from behind this "censored" sign  :censored:

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 05:27:08 AM »

well it not just his legs you will see :censored: when he is in jellys hot pants again

sorry jelly

Dark Knight

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 12:07:46 PM »

well it not just his legs you will see :censored: when he is in jellys hot pants again

sorry jelly
I daren't ask ?
In hot pants you say I'd like to see that !
No not Jason ..... Jelly  :P

Dark Knight

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 07:26:53 AM »
Showed a couple of poeple my walking sticks bit of a mixed reaction but they work well and it's not hard to carry.
But one extra use for them is a CHAV BOPPER ( not that I'm saying smask the little              around the head ) but their a 2 meter stick and if it slips ??

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 03:06:28 PM »
Maybe it's just for noobs... but I think staffs are awesome. I used to carry one almost everywhere I went for a while (I mean at PK jams etc... not at shops or the cinema). They look fantastic when set alight. ^_^ It would have to be telescopic at both ends for that purpose though, otherwise it would be unbalanced.
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Jahkk

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 08:13:44 PM »
I used to use one a lot when I was learning, basically a hiking stick adjusted to maximum length. Worked surprisingly well actually, especially with my wall shortage.
So I can write anything here and it'll show up at the end of every post, right?

Offline JCDenton

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 09:53:02 AM »
i never have trouble standing still..

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 12:22:56 AM »
Well you've never really stood still :P no bocker can actually just stand unaided still you'd defiantly fall over :P

Aidan :Cwink:

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)