Author Topic: Gymfest Photography  (Read 11740 times)

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
Gymfest Photography
« on: January 19, 2009, 09:44:23 PM »
As the events get bigger there is a need for more formal proceedures

I am therefore going to ask that all people wanting to take photographs register on the day. There are a number of reasons for this most covered by best practice around safeguarding children and vulnerable people.

This includes anyone wanting to use any form of photography equipment including mobile phones. Those of you alreday involved in large organised events will know that this is standard practice.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
Re: Gymfest Photography
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 09:51:43 PM »
*Waves*

I shall sign regardless, but what are the terms with regard to use of photos and videos? Is it like we must get permission from people to take their photo/upload a photograph of them, or is simply a form stating "I'm not going to use this photo in any dodgey way"?

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
Ditto, i'm happy to sign, as i will have my video camera around =]

Offline Jack

• EA Bocker
    • www.eabockers.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 10:08:11 PM »
yeh same as long as i can get my camera working *hint hint carl* xD

Dark Knight

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 10:20:13 PM »
 I found a form that maybe use full has we have to remember some people would prefer not to be photographed ?
http://www.beckleygym.com/Picture%20Video%20Permission%20Form.pdf

This would then make taking any pictures very hard for those trying to take pictures, unless you state something like this. on all the doors.

I enter this gym knowing that my image maybe taken.
 I* give my permission for these images to be used in any way the oganizers is fit.
                         * Under 18 will need a guardians signature
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 10:23:48 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline Becky

• EsseX Power Bockers
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 11:06:55 PM »
Sounds like a good idea CharlieB!

Some people cant be photographed - many reasons for this, but it is easy enough to not take photos of them. People know if they can't/dont want to have their photo taken and are normally pretty good at telling you to not take their photo. As long as the organisers know, and let any photographers know it works quite well! (although trying to find 1 child in 10,000 that i couldnt take photos of was interesting!!) I mainly take photos of Scouts/Guides and we can't use any of the photos without parental permission, and then the photos can only be used for the specific purpose the parents signed for, but we also can't let non-scout/guide people take photos of the kids unless they photographers are supervised!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 11:18:15 PM by Becky »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 11:52:42 PM »
I know in todays climate that all these things need to be taken into concideration and as am to far away to attend anyway not really my concern

No reflection on any of you organizers I know you are forced into all this red tape but it saddend my heart to see the amount of effort for "correctness" that has to go into meetings when they get big and youngsters attend

It makes organizing a meet hard work to the point that only a few people are willing to do it and some of them get to the "why bother" stage

So well done you few that are willing to work so hard and take all the bad bits

I take my hat off to you you are heros

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 09:44:07 AM »
Basically I need to register all photographers. You will then be given permission to take photographs. This is predominantly a Child Protection issue. We have to ensure that those taking photographs know the rules (you will be briefed on the day). You will be given a sticker that identifies you as an agreed photographer.

We will then challenege anyone taking photographs who does not have the sticker.

As I said before this is best practice and again covers us all in the case of inappropriate behaviour.

By the way photographers includes any friends etc you may bring along to spectate who want to take pictures.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 07:08:09 PM »
Sounds like a good plan Clive  :Csmile:

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 08:47:12 PM »
I have attempted to take photos and had very littel success. the lighting in the hall needs a better quality piece of kit than I have particularly with regards to lighting.

Soooooo

Does anyone fancy bringing some good kit and taking a few photos that we can use for promotional purposes. You will then hereby decreed as the official Gymfest Photographer  :Cyes:
Grow old disgracefully

Dark Knight

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 08:57:59 PM »
I did find using an extra flash helped but the lighting in there odd, "Auto" setting doesn't work well.

I will try to get my cousin to come he's pretty good with a camera. He's sold the odd photo and works a camera shop in Lincoln.
I did managed to get him on stilts once and he loved it so I'll see what he's doing ?

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 09:01:35 PM »
I found a form that maybe use full has we have to remember some people would prefer not to be photographed ?
http://www.beckleygym.com/Picture%20Video%20Permission%20Form.pdf

This would then make taking any pictures very hard for those trying to take pictures, unless you state something like this. on all the doors.

I enter this gym knowing that my image maybe taken.
 I* give my permission for these images to be used in any way the oganizers is fit.
                         * Under 18 will need a guardians signature

WHY 18!!! there alredy underminding us 16 years olds by stoppin us from driving and rasing the drinking age i hate being 16 it sucks balls!!

i agree tho u shud just have summat that ses u will by photographed and or videos if u do not like this then please p*ss off :D

sorry in a wound up mood my mums a MOO

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 09:14:50 PM »
Aidan

The issue is that legally a minor (U18) is not allowed to make some decisions. The interesting thing is that the age of legal consent used to be 21 until recently. Thats why it is still a relatively big thing to celebrate being 21 though the 18th is now becoming more common.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 09:21:26 PM »
I have attempted to take photos and had very littel success. the lighting in the hall needs a better quality piece of kit than I have particularly with regards to lighting.

Soooooo

Does anyone fancy bringing some good kit and taking a few photos that we can use for promotional purposes. You will then hereby decreed as the official Gymfest Photographer  :Cyes:
I did find using an extra flash helped but the lighting in there odd, "Auto" setting doesn't work well.
It's the actual lighting within the gym that causes it, meaning the camera finds it very difficult to pick things out correctly. I've spoken to ET about it before, the way the camera works is different to the human eye so it picks it up differently.

It's something to do with the differences between phospoluminescent lights and daylight, the levels of UV and that kinda stuff, i'm not 100% sure on it as I've never looked into it fully... Sports halls basically have no natural light, everything is artificially lit from above from multiple angles, which f**ks up the sensors on the camera, and the lights are also a yellowish colour, rather than white, which causes the levels to screw up as well. It's why all the images are generally very poor contrast (either very much the same across everything in the image, which makes it look really odd, or complete opposites so detail isn't shown) and have an extremely yellow hue.

The best settings I've found so far are in manual mode, about a 1/50th exposure time, double-flash (Helps with keeping the background illuminated a bit more, so you don't end up with a pitch black/very low-lit background with a brightly lit subject. It's still not great but it's better than nothing), with an ISO level of around 200-400 and a manual focal distance (means adjusting it every time you move but does mean the pictures come out a lot better). The only downside is the longer exposure time does mean you end up with a little bit of motion blur. If you don't have manual settings I suggest High-ISO mode.

It kicks back images like this

Opposed to this

To give you an idea, I'm using a Kodak Easyshare Z1275, which is this little thing here. It's not a DSLR, nor does it have a massive flash, but it's probably the best pocket-sized camera I've got my hands on. HD (720p) video, 12 Megapixels, complete customisability with shooting. Only failiure is it only has a 5x optical zoom.

Outside I've found ISO 60-100 with an exposure of 1/250th or 1/500th with no flash and auto focus works relatively well.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 09:25:50 PM by sprog »

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 10:00:37 PM »
Clive, where are we standing on Video camera's, i know you will have yours there, but i'd quite like to bring mine along as usual, and just leave it recording on a chair like we usually do? It's nice to have videos of your progression etc etc etc....

Dark Knight

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 10:07:11 PM »
I'll be in the gym the week before ?
I'll try your setting Sprog  :thumbs:
I'm using a Kodak Z7590 with a extra flash and I'm getting shoots like this
Clive I've a couple of tripods you/anyone can use :)

Offline Becky

• EsseX Power Bockers
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 10:35:08 PM »
You will want to set your white balance to match the type of lighting you have! My little camera has several options (AWB, Daylight, Cloud, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Underwater and Custom) - its normally automatically set to AWB but you can go through the other options and see if they give you better results! :)

Offline acroair

• acroair.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 11:45:35 PM »
All i know is that i look good on any setting !  LOL check me out !

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 12:33:23 AM »
Tim

Not a problem to bring a video camera, just need to register on the day. You will have to be a little more careful about who you film . This again particularly relates to U16 and anyone expressing a wish not to be filmed.

Do not want to put loads of rules against photography as it is not needed, most photography is ok. We just have to cover ourselves and also respect the wishes of others.
Grow old disgracefully

Dark Knight

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 06:35:33 PM »

I will try to get my cousin to come he's pretty good with a camera. He's sold the odd photo and works a camera shop in Lincoln.
I did managed to get him on stilts once and he loved it so I'll see what he's doing ?

He can't make it but maybe his kit could   :Cwink:

With some poeple coming late and other having to leave early we should pick a time when we can do a whole group shot, say about 12ish ?
I would be a shame if someone missed out because they went for something to eat ? I think it would be a great way to thank PJ's for sponcering the meet and I think we'd all like a group shot of all of us  :Cbiggrin:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 05:17:12 AM by Dark Knight »