Author Topic: Idiots guide to capital bocking  (Read 4897 times)

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
Idiots guide to capital bocking
« on: August 13, 2008, 11:06:39 AM »
Arriving on Friday...
Before 3pm come straight to the bay (see directions below).
From 4pm onwards I will be at the campsite. I expect someone will be left at the bay for a few hours.

Arriving on Saturday...

Come to the bay.
Obviously if you have a hotel, check in first.
If you are camping I feel you will waste a long time going to the campsite first, getting the tent up and sorting your stuff out. I think going straight to the bay and sorting the tent in the evening would be far better.

Camping.
As mentioned, we only have the campsite for friday night and saturday night. If you are camping any other nights, you're on your own.
On arrival at the campsite you will have to pay and be issued campsite rules and a ticket.
Keep the ticket safe. I'm going to ask for it.
We must leave the campsite exactly as we found it.
No litter to be left. No tent pegs to be left.
The postcode for the campsite is CF5 2AZ and it is located at Llandaff Rugby Club, on Western Avenue. It's about 500 yards on the right hand side, down the road from tesco.
It is directly opposite a building covered in scaffolding.
It's quite easy to drive straight past the rugby club so I'll see if i have any signs left to put up.

Driving.
You need to pay £5.30 to enter Wales (cash, no plastic) via the seven bridge. There is no fee to leave =)
I think it's double for any minibuses or vans.

Driving to the bay:-
IGNORE THE MOTORWAY SIGNS FOR CARDIFF BAY
LEAVE THE M4 AT JUNCTION 33
- This is the easiest and quickest route to the bay.
There will be CB signs from this motorway junction.

If you are using Sat NAV, do not follow its directions. Drive passed junction 32 of the M4, allow the sat nav to re-adjust the route using Junction 33 and you should be fine. Look for the CB signs, these direct you to the oval basin in the bay and not the campsite or the car parks in the bay.
Please use the map for this information.

Those going straight to the campsite please see the map on the CB website.

PARKING
There is a free carpark at the campsite. No cars on the grass.
There is limited free parking at the bay. This is based at countyhall, about 5 mins walk from the bocking area. See the signs for "£3 park and ride" ignore the £3. Parking is free, the £3 is for the bus ride to the city centre which you're not going to want.
If it gets full, I would suggest the carpark at pizza hut (free) or the red dragon centre (not free)

Public Transport
Cardiff Central Bus and Train Station are next door to each other. I dont think there is a direct link from the train station to cardiff bay (you need to change at cardiff queen street).
The easiest way to get from Central Station to the Bay is via a bus, the bendy buses which are usually blue. The buses leave for the bay every 15 mins with a journey time of around 7 mins.
Cardiff Bus do an all-day ticket for £3. This can be used on any route, multiple times and those who have purchased one could possibly even lend it to other people to use.

Bus from the campsite to central station is the number 24 (Llandaff) Bus. You would catch the bus to and from the Black Lion pub in Llandaff, about 2 mins walk from the campsite.
The bus leaves every 20 mins mon-sat but only once an hour on sundays.

Toilets
There are toilets and showers available at the campsite.
At the bay, use some common sense. There are toilets in every restaurant and pub. Also at the Wales Millenium Centre, Red Dragon Centre and a public toilet outside the cardiffbay visitors centre (next to the ferris wheel).

BOCKING!

We do not have any first aid available. I would suggest every group bring their own first aid kit, plasters etc for bumps and scr***es. Anything serious, see myself, becky, sprog or one of the welsh bockers. We will all have radios.
As last year, myself, becky, and sprog will be in different colour shirts which should make it easier to find us.
There will be a registration table where I would ask every bocker to come add their name to the list. This is the only clear way to know numbers.
Please do not go wandering. Everything we need is in the bay area and to be honest, there isnt much within walking distance to see. If you go wandering you could miss something such as group photos, any competitions or TV/radio/press.
Do not wear your stilts in any of the local shops or pubs.

Please dont stand around all day talking to new people. Cardiff was chosen for its bocking environment so please use it. I'd really like everyone to learn something new this weekend and to really push themselves (but not too hard!).

If you take your stilts off and leave them for any reason make sure someone is with them and do not assume your friend is going to look after your stilts. Always explain to them where you are going and can they look after your kit.
You are responsible for your own stuff at all times.

FANCY DRESS

A few people are dressing up on sunday for no particular reason. Dont feel left out if you're not. Those who are, please test-run your costume on bocks before coming to cardiff. Make sure it doesnt effect your vision or your balance.

CROWD CONTROL
We have no crowd barriers but we should have a small PA system for announcements.
I expect there to be a massive crowd of people. On any given weekend the welsh bockers have been known to attract 500+ people and even managed a few hundred with just 3 bockers.
Imagine what they are going to think of 150+!
This is probably the most important thing for us. There are quite a few bockers who run off and do their thing without checking everything is safe which is why we need to look at for each other. If you notice someone is close to the public or may not have seen someone walking towards them then you need to stop them. Dont wait, just do it.
Also please be very polite and friendly with the crowd, they do ask a lot of questions.

DO NOT ALLOW ANY MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC ON STILTS.
If someone is that keen, direct them to the welsh bockers and we can arrange something at another time but under no circumstances are the public to go on peoples stilts.

Camping sunday night?
You will need to arrange your own camping for this night. Try Cardiff Caravan Park (google it and call them)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 07:15:17 PM by Locky »

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
Re: Idiots guide to capital bocking
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 12:12:10 PM »
For those using the bus to get to and from the bay or central station I've made a map which shows where the bus stops are near to the campsite. There are 2 within equal distance (5 mins walk)

Offline Rodamus_Zero

• X-Bocks
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 01:08:26 PM »
Thanks for putting this all together guys, I feel as if im really going to enjoy it, come rain or shine. ^^
I feel as if there is something missing from the list youve put down Locky but I cant quite put my finger on it, its probably nothing or something small...
Tell Them, Zero is Here.
Team Member of x-b

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 03:04:11 PM »
yeah great write up, only thing i would like to clarify is i have friends from cardiff who will probably be acting as our ground crew, they ok to go on the stilts?

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline PINHEAD69

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 04:51:29 PM »
ground crew is different nero, cant see why not dude,
your with them, and theyre your responsibility, plus they wont try to soooooooouuuuu ya....
the only reason locky states this is, should any member
of the public hurt themselves whilst on our stilts...
they can see £££££££££££ errr nope...
not only that, when one tries them, they all want a go..
it can be mayhem and a little dangerous lol....
you'll see muhahahahahaha

LOOK HERE BELOW
http://www.pinheadstraps.co.uk/
tHe BrUmMie BoUnCeRs

(TIP)
never fece yourself wearing a g-string
it makes chip shapes

Offline Rodamus_Zero

• X-Bocks
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 05:23:04 PM »
Is anyone going to be bringing Crash Mats?
On a side note, are we allowed food and drink on the bay? Like pack ups and whatnot, Alcohol I'm assuming is going to be prohibited?
Tell Them, Zero is Here.
Team Member of x-b

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 06:46:22 PM »
Nero people you know are fine.
They wont allow crashmats in the bay but I will bring my old one to the campsite.

Food is allowed in the bay but again make sure litter is taken care of. There are bins scattered all over the bay and we'll have some black bags too.
Booze is not banned but really wouldnt look good in the bay. It's fine at the campsite, as long as its legal and you dont become disruptive.

Those heading straight to the campsite, there is a route on the CB map but to see it you need to zoom out and come north a bit but I've done that for you right here (yellow line).

Basically if you are driving from the M4 to the campsite, come off at J29 onto the A48(M). This road then turns into the A48 and about 7 miles later into Western Avenue which is the road the campsite is on so basically come off at J29 and keep going until you hit a big tescos on the left. The campsite is 500 yds on the right.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 07:01:40 PM by Locky »