Author Topic: Alright Folks....  (Read 3478 times)

Offline Tange

Alright Folks....
« on: August 07, 2008, 03:04:53 PM »
Hi folks,
        thought I should introduce myself before writing anywhere else, name is Andy or Tange (whatever) don't actually own a set of stilts yet but they are in the post.  Ordered them this morning and can't wait to start hoping about (hopefully tomorrow after work), I've read that it takes a bit of time to get used to these things and I think for an ex rugby player it could be a few years haha

Well i should be ok for the safety side of things, I'm a safety advisor after all!!  If I get seriously injured there is gonna be a lot of s***ging from mates and work colegues   ;)

At work so better go, talk to you all later

P.S any tips for getting started would be helpfull  :banana:

Tange
Safety Advisor on Stilts!!   Fear me....haha

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
Re: Alright Folks....
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 03:11:31 PM »
hi and welcome
advice,  dot look down. Seriously , heads are heavy and you tip centre of gravity over ( and you are only  a foot higher than normal)  bounce thru hels not balls of feet. Dont crouch  stand up bold and str8. You cant stand still 'shuffle' from hoof to hoof when you stop

Offline britishjord

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 04:09:59 PM »
The most useful advise i can give you mate is when you get on them , hold on to something high and practice the walking motion ( bringing one foot up then the other foot ) then get a friend and hold on to his/her shoulders and make them walk around slowly then you just walk behind getting used to the feeling of walking..  when you get a bit more confident try walking from object to object eg lampost or tree... gl m8 and tell us how it goes.

ps welcome to pj forum

Offline mafiaman

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 04:13:31 PM »
yer that is exaclly how i learnd well but jord  :biggrin: :biggrin: i also had a hugr walking stick i looked the a shapard mad as i walked by people garden fences a (giant one)  :biggrin:

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 04:56:31 PM »
well a pre-emptive welcome to the sport

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline Tange

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 07:42:10 AM »
well I should recieve them sometime today!!  Can't wait to try and stand up never mind walking and running....

I'll let you know how I get on and thanks for the tips   :thumbs:

Offline Tange

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 08:06:35 AM »
OK.... so my PJ's got delivered, it's just a shame there was no one in the house for them to get delivered too   :banghead:

Well that should be rectified today, I took the day of work and have a arranged for a re-delivery sometime today.  Waiting with anticipation now, got the wheelie bin wiped down from the rain last night (its gonna be my getting up platform)  I'll keep you all posted

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 02:01:46 PM »
welcome, i have no doubts you will have serious fun.

You shoukd be walking comfortably very quickly if you do as people say and look forward and try to relax. the walking technique is to conciously (at firts lift your legs higher than you would feel is normal. That way you will not stumble. Also make sure your feet point forward and are not slightly splayed (DK`s Duck walk). That way you will not catch your springs together.

If you are going to try running get wrist, knee and elbow protection. Falling at reasonable speed will see you roll and skid. No probs if you are protected will give you road rash if not.

Lots of advice about jumping on the forum, read it it will help hugely
Grow old disgracefully

Dark Knight

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 02:40:33 PM »
yer that is exaclly how i learnd well but jord  :biggrin: :biggrin: i also had a hugr walking stick i looked the a shapard mad as i walked by people garden fences a (giant one)  :biggrin:
I did make a stick but I found it more trouble than it was worth  :-\

I alway's say when you first start bocking it's like walking in thick wet mud in Dr Martens.
When you left your foot up you have too left it right up and it weigh's a ton  :o