Author Topic: Stabiliser bar adjustment  (Read 8561 times)

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
Stabiliser bar adjustment
« on: June 23, 2008, 12:51:26 AM »
This will interest Jason as the only post I could find with regards to this matter was by him.  Jason knows as well as I do that a level swashplate doesn't make a model helicopter fly level! This post is about center of gravity. I was wondering if I could get my toes to point upward a little more 'cos I seem to find myself leaning backwards a lot to keep my balance and to me,it feels un-natural.So I goofed about with the stabiliser bars a bit to get my heels lower than my toes. Much depends on your footwear too. I wear hiking boots all the time and the heels on them are an inch thick, so that was projecting my weight forwards as well. Anyways, I feel a lot more comfy on my stilts now. I also noted that my stilts feel a lot more springy,shortening the stabilser bars has reduced the pre-load on the springs. The result is that I dont have to work half as hard to get a bit of "boing" going!!!!! :biggrin: Lengthening the stabiliser bars should help a bit if you find yourself bottoming out too, as this increases the pre-load. I'm learning fast that stilts need to be well setup for the individual using them.Your mileage may vary. Yet another useless Nobby observation.... :thumbs:

-Nobby
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 12:57:59 AM by Nobby »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
Re: Stabiliser bar adjustment
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 06:34:35 PM »
You might want to check them for straightness as well Nobby I made a little gizmo out of string a hook and an elastic band which works well I'll take some pics and post instructions as well

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 09:50:36 PM »
 :haha: Coo ta mister ! :thumbs:

Offline jonnydonut

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 08:25:47 PM »
How did you shorten the stabiliser bar? with the side rods?

Dark Knight

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 08:54:47 PM »
Has someone who's building a new type of frame ( all-in-ones ) what you call " Stabiliser bar " is just for really bracing the footplate in place. The fame couldn't take your weight alone.

Look at the "L" shaped frame where the two box frames meet it's just a bolt and can't twist so if the two rods are not the same lenght then one could snap.

You can tip the toes up or down if you change both together but remeber to loosen the frame bolt first ( don't forget to tighten again ).

Offline ricc

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 10:26:53 PM »
Has someone who's building a new type of frame ( all-in-ones ) what you call " Stabiliser bar " is just for really bracing the footplate in place. The fame couldn't take your weight alone.

Look at the "L" shaped frame where the two box frames meet it's just a bolt and can't twist so if the two rods are not the same lenght then one could snap.

You can tip the toes up or down if you change both together but remeber to loosen the frame bolt first ( don't forget to tighten again ).

interestingly it also alows the user to pull the hoof in and out of alignment which is tres useful for people with bow legs! hahahahaha

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 10:31:13 PM »
interestingly it also alows the user to pull the hoof in and out of alignment which is tres useful for people with bow legs! hahahahaha
Yeah, but by adjusting one longer than the other then bocking on it for a prolonged period of time causes the frame to warp. Which is all well and good until you go to replace a spring and find you can't line it up straight to the frame as it's all buckled and twisted. Think before you post you numpty :P ;D

Dark Knight

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 10:55:16 PM »
Yeah, but by adjusting one longer than the other then bocking on it for a prolonged period of time causes the frame to warp. Which is all well and good until you go to replace a spring and find you can't line it up straight to the frame as it's all buckled and twisted. Think before you post you numpty :P ;D
Just what I said, but the rods will snap before the frame breaks ( FUSION's rods are bending { why I didn't bring to CB } )

Offline Rodamus_Zero

• X-Bocks
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 11:00:26 PM »
On the topic of the Support Rods, Ive noticed that ive been banging mine up, I think im either having my foot straps too tight or managing to knock them somehow.

Can they take soem punishment from over tightened foot straps? or am I going to eventually snap them in the end?
Tell Them, Zero is Here.
Team Member of x-b

Dark Knight

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 11:04:32 PM »
On the topic of the Support Rods, Ive noticed that ive been banging mine up, I think im either having my foot straps too tight or managing to knock them somehow.

Can they take soem punishment from over tightened foot straps? or am I going to eventually snap them in the end?
???
How can the foot strap knock the rod ?

The rods is nothing more than a very long bolt so you can work out how strong they ain't ?

Offline Rodamus_Zero

• X-Bocks
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 11:16:59 PM »
Ahh, I thought it was like a carbonfiber rod at first (confusing name) and I think its just the cover, like the one over the springs themselves that im knocking.

If they rods were to get damaged in anyway, how would I go about replacing them on the frame? Im assuming they need to be somewhat level (I think your idea about that triangled plate was a better idea DK :P)
Tell Them, Zero is Here.
Team Member of x-b

Dark Knight

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 11:25:13 PM »
Ahh, I thought it was like a carbonfiber rod at first (confusing name) and I think its just the cover, like the one over the springs themselves that im knocking.

If they rods were to get damaged in anyway, how would I go about replacing them on the frame? Im assuming they need to be somewhat level (I think your idea about that triangled plate was a better idea DK :P)
There a pain to replace you have to take the hoop off undo load of bolts .....
I thinks there a topic about replacing them somewhere ?

And my plate gives you somewhere to put custom logo's  :thumbs:

Offline jonnydonut

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 01:37:27 AM »
So are the side rods the stabiliser bars? Sorry if it's a stupid Q, but if it gets me more spring I might fancy trying this out.

I was thinking if I give each bolt on the bars about a half turn everything should stay basically level.

Dark Knight

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 07:39:40 AM »
The foot plate should be level and parallel with the ground when you stand in a neutral postion regardless of what you where.
If you feel better if this foot plates twisted from this I would have your foot checked out or change your foot wear.
The main frame should be near 90 degrees has you can the side rods will allow some deflection from this but you should try to keep it as near 90 as you can.

These rods are strongest alone it's length it your knocking it too many time on the side you should work out why as they are not meant to take side knocks.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 10:03:36 AM »
I made a thread about this as I found many ways of adjusting the stabiliser rods (threaded rods either side or your lower leg) didn't work well

http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2337.0

Have a look and ask any questions on that thread (I will try to answer )

I have "straightened" a few sets of bocks and all have gone better afterwards

The little gizmo is so easy to make and use it is worth it just to know your bocks arn't twisted (one less thing to worry about)

You can bias the footplate fore or aft but I have found the best place for me is at a right angle

Jason  :Hoofies2: