Author Topic: Bottoming out the springs!!!  (Read 11170 times)

Offline Frumpet

• www.MySpace.com/TotalVoid
    • Total Void's MySpace
Bottoming out the springs!!!
« on: November 29, 2006, 11:36:35 PM »
Hey guys,
Well, I've had my Pro-Jumps for about 6 days now (since 24th Nov) and I noticed that the springs seem to bottom out slightly, on my absolute highest bounces, which are around 3 feet untucked. Now, I weigh 65kg, so naturally I got the 70kg model, to give me some room to 'grow into them', (and also I noticed the number '72' written on the spring, referring to the weight capacity I guess.)
Anyway, what I was wondering is: has anyone else had this bottoming out problem?? I mean its not too bad normally, it's just when I really put a lot of effort into a bounce, they sometimes slightly bottom out onto the rubber stop.
Do most of you guys bottom them out occasionally, or have you still got a fair bit of spring left in them at your peak jumps??  I hope I don't need to buy new springs or something  :-\!
Any help would be much appreciated guys.
Many thanks,
Dom
"Alcoholism isn't an illness, it's a disease. Well, not a disease, more like an illness." - Paul Gascoigne

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
Re: Bottoming out the springs!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 11:41:43 PM »
if you do a search you'll find this has happened to a few people previously which is why I advise to go one size up.

Offline arthur

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 11:44:05 PM »
i agree with matt.
also i think when i bottomed mine out that is what caused my back to be wrecked i think,because come to think of it on the ones i have now my back is fine and i cant bottom them out where as on my last ones (kids) i could bottom them out and i ended up having serious back pain.

check out http://www.swebounce.com/ for some great videos of  Mattias Lindström and more great info.... go check t out now !!!

Offline Frumpet

• Total Void's MySpace
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 11:54:28 PM »
Thanks for the responses.
Hmmm yeah I read a few bit and bobs about bottoming out, although what would the solution be?? Because I can't really go and buy new springs at, what, £60 each, plus I don't feel that there's a great need to at this stage, I mean it's not happening every time, just when I put maximum effort in.
I'll keep bocking and see how it goes I guess. Hopefully it won't mess up my back too badly.
I'm a little disappointed with www.pro-jump.co.uk I suppose, as they could have given some better hints on which model to buy, but I thought buying ones about 5kg above my weight would be fine, if not a little stiff.  It's not as though I'm using them more 'extremely' than anyone else, I just wouldn't have thought of buying the 80kg model, as I'm still lighter than 70kg!!
Never mind, hopefully I'll resolve it somehow!!
Thanks again,
Dom
"Alcoholism isn't an illness, it's a disease. Well, not a disease, more like an illness." - Paul Gascoigne

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 12:16:22 PM »
Which is exactly why i started a "weight issue" topic in the FAQ. I dont care what projump say, im my opinion inexperienced people within 10kg of the supposed limit should look at the next model up.

Offline Frumpet

• Total Void's MySpace
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 08:54:38 PM »
Hmm yeah, ah well. It's not much of an issue at this stage, plus it's rather nice having fairly squidgy springs  :)!! Yeah I'm just gonna go out and enjoy them, and maybe in a year or so, when I put on a little weight, replace the springs with stiffer ones.
Dom

Offline Frumpet

• Total Void's MySpace
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 10:16:34 PM »
Yay, problem solved!
My friend who was going to buy a pair of 70kg ones (he weighs about 56kg) is buying mine for £150 and I'm gonna buy a new pair, this time 80s.
Hmm...I have to say to others though, if you are less than 10kg under the weight limit, get the next size up, unless you want a particularly spongy experience!!
Dom

Offline pro-jumpingboy

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 12:09:44 PM »
Where do you get ones for 150 quid?

Offline Frumpet

• Total Void's MySpace
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 04:47:51 PM »
No, he's buying my old ones for £150, and I'm buying a new pair for £175.

Offline pro-jumpingboy

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 08:04:00 PM »
o, ok, how old and what condition are they in because i want to figure out what mine are worth

Offline pro-jumpingboy

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 08:05:21 PM »
o , and how heavy r u coz i wanna know when to upgrade, i have 70's
Luke

Offline Frumpet

• Total Void's MySpace
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 11:06:23 PM »
Mine are 70's, a week old lol, good condition, umm...yeah.
Yeah I was gonna upgrade to 80's, but I'm still not sure, I mean, I only just bottom out my 70's, so would 80's be like well stiff?? Or do you reckon I'd just get more max height out of them??
Dom

Offline Frumpet

• Total Void's MySpace
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 07:05:46 PM »
Ok this is all sorted now lol! I had a dodgy right spring, which then broke.
So now I have a replacement one, and they're perfect!
Dom

Offline ricky35

• Welsh Bockers
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 08:38:04 PM »
Bit of a topic hijack  :Cchatterbox: but i can't be bothered to make a new one :D

Does any one know the distance between the frame and the spring when someone is bottoming out. I'm making stilts trousers and need to know how much space room I need. Im making these tomorrow ready for halloween (short notice) so if anyone knows even the slightest measurement, please say so as then I can try and follow it up ;D

Much love
Ricky
xxxx
<a href="http://www.welshbockers.co.uk/signature.swf" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.welshbockers.co.uk/signature.swf</a>

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 03:19:57 AM »
Bit tricky to measure but based on a very educated guess and a bit of work with rule the spring should not extend further than about 150mm from its "at rest position". Mine measures 85mm from the back of the upright frame to the back of the spring so a further 150mm will take you to 235mm.
No guarantees! But we're not far off. :CGEEK:
If in doubt, make the back seam open with Velcro fasteners and allow the spring to exit and enter then no worries of it ripping your new pants! :Cwideeyed:
I'm planning to make some for Christmas so if you gain any experience before then please let me know.
 :Csmile:

Growing OLD is compulsory. Growing UP is optional. OPT OUT!

Offline ricky35

• Welsh Bockers
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 10:00:53 AM »
woop woop...something to go on now  :Cnotworthy:

Will do dude, I'm planning on making more than one pair in the oncoming weeks.  :Claugh:
<a href="http://www.welshbockers.co.uk/signature.swf" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.welshbockers.co.uk/signature.swf</a>

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 10:05:11 AM »
A guy kyle or somebody just made a pair! He would know everything :/

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 09:11:13 PM »
Sorry this took so long but had to find the pics

If you measure the difference between the two pics and scale it up you should get a measurement (I made the difference about 120mm )

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline ricky35

• Welsh Bockers
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 09:16:49 PM »
aha.....I should be ok then, I've left quite a lot of room and the fabric is quite stretchy  :Cnotworthy:

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 09:51:08 PM »
I bottom out my M80's, yet get more height on them than i do my M90's (incase Naz reads, they are on there way as of tomorrow) Bin really bisy sorry

DC