Author Topic: Gillingham Gym Progress  (Read 6539 times)

Offline Opal

• Invicta Bockerz
Gillingham Gym Progress
« on: March 29, 2008, 12:37:38 PM »
I braved the minions of 'Nam on bocks to go and see whether we could use the projectile hall at the Black Lion Sports Centre. The people in the town centre were not as nice as those in Maidstone  >:( The traffic wardens, & PCSO's were very interested & friendly though :police:

I explained to the sports centre that I was part of an organised group of 'Sports People'  ;D who use these 'bock' devices, and that we needed somewhere inside to practice new techniques.  :Straddle5:

I also explained that we would be fully prepared to accept any responsibility for injurys to ourselves caused by ourselves. I assume the sports centre is insured for any damage caused by people who use the facilities, and that they accept this is their responsibility if they accept our money and allow us onto the premisis. These points will have to be clarified later.

The good news is that they wasn't unreceptive to the idea  :thumbs:  however they didn't have the authority to say one way or the other, whether they have an area that they'd be happy for us to use.

I've been given the manager's number. I shall call him in the week and arrange a quick meeting with him to show off the bocks and come to some sort of agreement/arrangement.

From memory, the price of using a hall there is £35 for 2hrs, so if 7 bockers attend it would be £5 each, but that will obviously increase if fewer people attend. I would suggest that we keep it an open session, to help keep the numbers up (i.e. invite other groups, and perhaps actively recruit non-bockers into the sport?).

How regularly will we want to use the facilities? Monthly or bi-monthly? If it's monthly, perhaps we could arrange it inbetween our outdoor meetings, so we would be meeting fortnightly. If bi-monthly, it probably makes sense that we have one month in, one month out. We could probably do quarterly too, so 4 gym sessions a year.

Comments, suggestions, & flamings please  ;D

Cheers.

click for details

Offline KentLee

• FREEDOM BOCKER!!!!
Re: Gillingham Gym Progress
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 07:07:44 PM »
 :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

dude thats  :censored: awesome well dont on finding that info out i think once a month is a great idea as some of dont live near but imn game for traveling.... and as its near gillingham im sure there are more bockers around that will be glad to join and I for 1 do not mind if othere people join in with the gym meet the more the merrier.......  :thumbs:

congrats dude good progress i think thats another level gained you ar enow level 2 hehe  ;)
Freedom bocking. no ties to any clubs but friends with them all. this is the way forward.....

Offline Carma

• Elite Member
  • As Seen On TV - The Bocking Rocker
    • Carma Pet Portraits
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 10:17:01 PM »
Thanks for finding all this out Opal.

Can I just say, don't get too excited, they probably won't allow us without PLI. Which we don't have as of yet. However, if we do have to have PLI, we can always just get our own!

-Carma (THe Bocking Rocker)

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 10:22:13 PM »
There's room to be optimistic!

Many gyms around the country are allowing people in with bocks now without insurance so hopefully this one will be bock friendly too  :thumbs:

Offline Tok

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 10:27:08 PM »
Dude I'm sorting out PLI for other bocking reasons atm so message me if you need details, and I'm WELL up for gym meets however frequent! Keep us posted dude, and nice work!

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 01:29:37 AM »
Providing you are part of an organised group and have people with some form of qualification or are willing to work to get some you will be received positively.

Min requirements must be an emergency first aid certificate if you accept liability for injuries in the group. Also good to have someone in the group who is experienced in running/coaching/leading events.

Insurances at sports centres vary enormously. Most will be coverd for damage to the centre or for negligence claims. Most expect the sports clubs or coaches using the facility to have thier own PLI. (Most Sport England registered sports will do this as a matter of affiliation to the sport when a club joins)

Some are excellent and have the required Extreme Sports Cover.

You need to ask questions to find these things out. Also understand that they will be concerned about damage to the surface of the sports centre as this can be costly to repair and put the centre out of action for a considerable time (lost revenue will be a concern)

They will probably look to do a risk assesment which will cover possible damage to the facilities. Just because they have cover does not mean they will let you use the facilities if there is deemed to be a high risk of damaging the facility.

Sports centres do not routinely accept responsibility to make good damage caused by those using the centre. Be aware that if you misuse equipment or are proven to be negligent in any way you may be held responsible for the cost of repairs. If damage occurs accidentally this will not be an issue providing you have taken adequate steps to ensure you are not missuing equipment.

If you have thought these things out prior to meeting with the manager you should have no problem convincing him/her that you are an organisation that is willing to act responsibly.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline KentLee

• FREEDOM BOCKER!!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 08:49:42 AM »
WOW thanks for the info charlie b there is quite a bit there lol mwell done tho and meny thanks for the heads up...  :banana: :banana:
Freedom bocking. no ties to any clubs but friends with them all. this is the way forward.....

Offline Opal

• Invicta Bockerz
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 05:52:55 PM »
Thanks Charlie B, the more we can anticipate the better!

Now, I know for a fact that the sports centre has cover for full contact Karate (as I used to be one of the junior instructors there), and as I work in the NHS we have compulsary courses, and courses that we have access to for free (Lifting and handling, Fire, Pre-Paramedic First Aid, ect). So I hope that's covered.  ;)

One area of concern would be the black rubber sole of the bock. I know they're quite funny about black soled shoes on their surfaces, I can only imagine that they would consider the bock to be the same thing.. however they do have areas where this isn't a problem, so perhaps we can have one of those areas.

Also, I'll take my bocks with me when I go to meet the centre manager. Whilst they do look capable of inflicting quite serious damage on gym facilities, most of the metal actually cannot make contact with walls or floors easily. If I can demonstrate this, there's another problem solved right there.

What I'll do is make a note of all the questions that I'm asked. It might be an idea to try and make a template application so that we can get as many gym's and sports centres on our side as possible. I would hope this would cause a snowball effect and that more and more centres become 'friendly'.

I'll keep you all posted!  :thumbs:

click for details

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 06:04:06 PM »
Marking the floor is a major concern of many gyms, some of the following could help:

1. Depending on the surface ie if it is carpeted you could put actual socks over your feet to prevent marking, this is what the ProJump 101 guys use to do at their gym.

2. Tyre socks would help as many people have mentioned they don't mark the floor

3. Actual trainers, Q uses kids ones (Size 11 converse hi tops) which he says work perfect, Hybrid Hex uses adult ones which seem to work for him too.

Offline Carma

• Elite Member
    • Carma Pet Portraits
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 12:13:06 PM »
Once I am well enough and back in action, guys, I am happy to take on the role of sorting this. I personally have experience of organising large events (CiN), and of course the mental rabble of you guys ;). Opal is doing a fantastic job so far, but once its all confirmed I am guessing someone would have to accept responcibility for the documentation and numbers.

All I ask is for people to just be patient with me for a few months. Opal, keep on going, your doing awesome mate! Thank you!

-Carma

Offline Opal

• Invicta Bockerz
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 07:43:16 PM »
 :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

:Straddle5: Swanscombe Leisure Centre  :Straddle5:

Situated between Bluewater and Gravesend, A stone's throw away from the new Ebbsfleet channel tunnel rail link; Swanscombe has a mainline train station, very easy access from the M25/A2, and a sports centre that would be happy to be the Indoor home of Kent's Invicta Bockerz!  ;D

I have spoken with the manager, and he sounds really keen! I'm meeting with him tomorrow, bocks at the ready, and you can be sure that I'll post the outcome here!

We've briefly mentioned cost implications. There will be a charge for the hall, and a seperate smaller charge for use of crash mats. I expect there to be other T's & C's too, but nothing too severe by the sounds of it.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 11:42:48 PM by Opal »

click for details

Offline KentLee

• FREEDOM BOCKER!!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 11:13:03 PM »
 :banana: WOO well done to opel thats another level gained :thumbs: noe level 3 lol well done and cant wait to here the outcome...... :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline Opal

• Invicta Bockerz
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 11:44:13 PM »
Did you and Tok go for your random bock in Maidstone today? I was actually working down there today and looked out for you but i didn't see you  ???  :thumbs:

click for details

Offline Carma

• Elite Member
    • Carma Pet Portraits
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 07:50:36 AM »
Can I also recommend Cygnets Leisure Centre. I know that they are VERY VERY flexible as they have a caneo club which takes up the whole swimming pool on Saturdays. Its also 2 mins from min so easy to get to. People could pop to mine after for a drink.

Actually ignor me. That gym is actually very nice and the area aint to bad. Cab will only cost me about £3 from where I live :)

-Carma
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 08:43:18 AM by Carma »

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 03:58:06 PM »
Really good news to hear that you are having such a positive response. i am sure it is down to your preparation and commitment and also your qualifications and background which all help convince people we are not midnight mauraders

Have found that good quality tire socks solve the problem on making marks on floors. having said that had no issue with bock hoofs. Only problem has been a possibility that metal on the back hoof can contact floor when attempting to stand.

Just a quick point carma and the rest of you guys are you still looking to come to Lincoln on 19th ? see the thread of an update
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Tok

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 07:18:02 PM »
Awesome new Opal! We we'rnt in Maidstone but we have been around in Deal gettin the courage up for flips, so a gym would be ace :D Keep us posted :D

Offline Opal

• Invicta Bockerz
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 08:10:06 PM »
It's a GO'ER!  :haha:

They're going to get back to me after the weekend with availability to us. We can choose to go either at the weekend or an evening during the week (or both!).

We have options to take which are...

1). The whole hall for an hour
2). Half the hall for an hour
3). Half the hall for 2 hours

I will discuss availability and exact pricing detail with Carma and Toddy.

Carma, now it's arranged, I guess it's time for you to decide whether you want me to remain the (albeit self elected) organiser of our indoor events or whether this is a function that you would prefer to facilitate.

I respect that this is your group, so I will happily honour whichever decision you come to. I'm just glad that I've been able to bring something positive to the table.  ;D

Cheers guys, & I can't wait for our 1st Gym session!

click for details

Offline KentLee

• FREEDOM BOCKER!!!!
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 10:47:06 PM »
 :banana: yo opel, no offence to carma and toddy but i think opel you should carry on with this organising this as youve done so well so far... well done and i think half the hall for 2 hours is where we would get more for our money.... :banana:

Offline Tok

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 11:57:50 PM »
Dude your an absolute legend! Well done man!

2 hours should be plenty of time!

Wow I'm so looking forward to this

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 08:20:56 AM »
i do agree with lee,
i think you should carry on with this if you are happy to

and yea 2h and half the gym